Sponsored by:

Wrapping front end?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM
gte
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrapping front end?

I took delivery of my Cayenne over the weekend. I just got off the phone with Premire inquiring about clear bra protection. I am thinking of doing the full front end. He did mention to me that there is the possibility of seeing some small imperfections since the car is black. The car is Jet Black Metalic which he said is going to be much better than flat black.

Does anyone have a black car wrapped, and any regrets? Would you do it again?

thanks,

George
Old 07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My truck is Aqua Blue (pretty dark) and I don't notice the wrap. What I would add would be the windshield wrap too!
Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Took mine off several months after getting the car. A real PITA to keep from getting scratched and always a dull finish as compared to the surrounding bodywork.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:55 PM
gte
Advanced

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Took mine off several months after getting the car. A real PITA to keep from getting scratched and always a dull finish as compared to the surrounding bodywork.
Very interesting. Did it ever look good from day one?
Old 07-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gte
Very interesting. Did it ever look good from day one?
Yes it did; so much that you couldn't tell the difference between the painted surface and the invisible bra. Following my first visit to the dealer for an oil change and inspection, there were three scuff marks on the hood near the hood crest. I realized that these were nail marks from the technician when he either opened or closed the hood. Unfortunately, 3M's website as well as their local installing dealer did little to help remove these marks.

Bug splatter was another issue which involved soaking the bug carcasses with P21S total wash before removing; since scrubbing the area with a wash mitt was out of the question.

Some guys swear by this product however my experience was less than stellar; perhaps due to the black color.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 PM
gte
Advanced

Yes it did; so much that you couldn't tell the difference between the painted surface and the invisible bra. Following my first visit to the dealer for an oil change and inspection, there were three scuff marks on the hood near the hood crest. I realized that these were nail marks from the technician when he either opened or closed the hood. Unfortunately, 3M's website as well as their local installing dealer did little to help remove these marks.

Bug splatter was another issue which involved soaking the bug carcasses with P21S total wash before removing; since scrubbing the area with a wash mitt was out of the question.

Some guys swear by this product however my experience was less than stellar; perhaps due to the black color.
And they wouldn't stand by their product?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:34 PM
laelops
Intermediate

have had multiple black cars done with no issue, just make sure you take it to premier and all will be fine
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 PM
gte
Advanced

Originally Posted by laelops
have had multiple black cars done with no issue, just make sure you take it to premier and all will be fine
That's good to hear. I am defiantly using premier if I do it. What is the longevity of this stuff?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the front of mine wrapped with 3M and you cannot see it. Mine is meteor gray which is great for hiding it. No issues whatsoever. No blemishes- nothing. And I run my CS through the car wash regularly.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:46 AM
gte
Advanced

Scheduled with Premire on Monday. Full hood, fenders, bumper, mirrors and door cups. Looking forward to it.

George
Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 PM
rudyrodriguez
AutoX

I have a white one and have done the full wrap and I love it. Best move I ever made. Go for it!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 12:21 PM
gte
Advanced

Just got mine done on Monday, and unfortunatly so far I agree with you no scratching issue as it is new, but it really does detract from the depth of the paint. In certian light it is pretty much undetectable, but most of the time that is not the case. I also know it is there and am looking for it. Not very excited so far.

George
Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 PM
j080808
Advanced

I have had the front end done on many cars over the years. White/black/grey were the cars in my stable. Wash it, wax it (and keep the wax out of the seams by applying a thin pin striping or painters tape) and it should look good for years.

Had it done on my Jet Black before I traded it in after 2 weeks for a Sand white and it was perfect, had to really look to see it. White on the other hand will start to show some yellowing over time.

My cars go straight from the dealer to the installer. IMO its better to replace the clear bra after a couple years as opposed to having paint chips all over the nose. All it takes is a truck/car in front of you veering over the line to throw up a couple pebbles to ruin the paint, no brainer IMO.

I have bought a couple used cars that I had wished the first owner had applied the product, would have increased the resale for sure.

Now if I could find a suitable product for my windshield to prevent those small chips that reflect the light, I would be all good.

Quick Reply: Wrapping front end?