Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Failed Instrument Cluster

All,

I have searched and have not yet found a thread discussing my problem in any detail... The instrument cluster in my 05 Cayenne S is failing. It began with a seatbelt chime that sounded "sick". Then, the chime issues spread to the door open chime and turn signal "click". Now, the trip odometer reset button has quit working and the bottom third of the center lcd (or is it led?) display has gone wonky. I spoke with my local dealer and they want over $2k to replace the instrument cluster... $1600 of which is for the part. Sunset wants $1290 for the part, but warns me that it will have to be "coded".

My question is: Has anyone out there done this sort of project themselves? If so, what did the dealer charge you to code the new part?

My Cayenne S rolled over 109k miles this weekend... We have decided to keep her and try to get $200k out of the pig. So, living with the failed cluster isn't really an option. I am pretty capable mechanically, so I think doing the actual replacement shouldn't be a problem (though I would like to find a DIY somewhere).

Any help any of you can provide is appreciated!
Old 07-04-2011, 09:43 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

This isn't the first report of this sort of failure I've seen. It might be worth checking with some of the foreign car instrument rebuilders to see if they have any ideas..

It might be worth checking with DuraMetric if their tool can be used to code the cluster. I imagine the coding is for the VIN# and the mileage.. The charge the dealer wants would pay for the DuraMetric.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Look for a good used cluster and an independent mechanic who can code it.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wouldn't an independent need a PWIS to code the panel? If a Durametric can do the job, then I'm there... But, I'm skeptical that it can handle something like mileage. That would seem really dangerous (from a fraud prespective)...
Old 07-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

You will find instructions on Renntech.org for upgrading the Cayenne S instrument cluster to a Turbo instrument cluster. As long as you have to replace the cluster, you might as well go with an upgrade!

http://www.renntech.org/forums/tutor...-for-cayennes/

Old 07-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice... Wonder what Sunset sells a Turbo cluster for?
Old 07-04-2011, 11:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

If the independent has an AutoLogic scan tool - he can read the coding info from the old cluster and transfer it to the new (or used) one..

Quick Reply: Failed Instrument Cluster