Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Trip Essentials :: '04 CTT

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

there is a great documentary out there called 180 degrees south......it clearly states that the end goal is not the adventure but the process of getting there......I quote partially from memory.."thats what people today neglect to see. so you get *******'s who come in to climb everest and the sherpas set up their tents and even put mints on their pillows at night........and they still come out ********!!!" Yvon Chouinard founder of Patagonia.

Watch it before you go ...be safe.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1407927/
Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Vito Corleone called and said to "act like a man."
I wouldn't talk to Pops like that if I were you...

Originally Posted by cordsig79
there is a great documentary out there called 180 degrees south......it clearly states that the end goal is not the adventure but the process of getting there......I quote partially from memory.."thats what people today neglect to see. so you get *******'s who come in to climb everest and the sherpas set up their tents and even put mints on their pillows at night........and they still come out ********!!!" Yvon Chouinard founder of Patagonia.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1407927/
For one, I love Chouinard. Haven't see the film, but I'll never forget a quote of his about how a lawsuit brought the original BlackDiamond the point of bankruptcy - he said something to the effect of, "Real climbers would never have filed this lawsuit." ((thinks to self about applicability to coolant pipes lawsuit...))

Actually not concerned for the trip beyond duration and small backseats. But for you road warriors, where on earth are all of you driving that many miles a week??
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,473 Likes on 924 Posts

Let me know when you're in the area. I'll buy you a beer from one of our local breweries.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:48 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seankrider
But for you road warriors, where on earth are all of you driving that many miles a week??
Daily drive to and from work.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

But for you road warriors, where on earth are all of you driving that many miles a week??
I opted for not having a company car, as I don't like volvos so most of the miles are work related (meetings, presentations etc.) and I also do quite a lot of "leisure" trips around europe when I have time
Old 07-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't talk to Pops like that if I were you...
Meh, I'm already under threat of being run off the road the next time Pops sees me. As if that ugly fat *** could sneak up on anyone.

I mean the P!g, I mean the P!g!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:38 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Is this a good omen, or bad? Larry?

Does it count as a roadtrip, if we ride in the Cayenne, on a flatbed, the whole way?
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 167 Posts

Spare tire is a good idea if you have room. Fix-a-flat only good if you have no sidewall damage.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

report back?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

She was a total champ the entire trip...with one small glitch.

When I turned the car off at a stop in Elko, NV, all power went completely dead - like there was no battery at all. I actually brought a jump box and stowed it in the rear secret compartment, but of course the rear was packed full of luggage. Of course, with no power, I couldn't open the rear hatch. So in 100 degree heat, I got to unpack the car through the folded-down back seat, into the parking lot to get to the little panel in the back. Of course the jump box didn't work the first 5 times I tried to restart, but after a good 15 minutes of just sitting reconnected to the battery wondering what to do next, it just magically started up on the next try. Then I thought I'd be dealing wth a dead battery at every stop, but never had a problem after that. Which makes me wonder (a) how to tell if my battery's dead or dying, and (b) how it suddenly charged up enough to hold a charge by the next stop. I suspect something else was at play.

But that one issue aside, it was a remarkable ride. Probably the most comfortable long road trip I've ever taken. And while the passenger's seat was a continual "SLOW DOWN!" reminder, there was one super-long and super-straight stretch of highway between the NV border and Salt Lake City (ironically, the Bonneville Salt Flats/Speedway) where I made a nice spirited pass of some slower trailer, and a blur of a 'Vette came out of nowhere and pulled up next to me and revved it up a little as if to say, "come out and play!" Right behind him were a handful of very nice MBs, then an M6 or M3, and one or two other souped-up toys.

For the next 30-40 miles, it was a game of who-wants-to-lead, who-wants-to-follow? And it was the first time I've ever really had a chance to stretch out the legs and push her hard and drive at high speeds for an extended period of time. A taste of Autobahn-like driving, stateside. At one point I was going something like 118 or 120, and one of the Benz's just rocketed past like I was stopped--glancing over and smiling while he went by. Kids and adults (i.e., older kids) alike were equally engaged in this little carefree jaunt of road-muscle flexing. I of course was the heavy SUV, full of luggage and a back row, trying not to kill anyone, but let's just say there was a lot left under the hood had I decided to let loose with reckless abandon. I truly believe my vehicle could not only push 150+ if I tried, but going quite fast did not feel reckless, nor really even fast for that matter... if that makes sense. That was the crazy realization for me - I was hauling some 6,000 lbs in a top-heavy SUV, but I was punching down the highway with some pretty juiced up sports cars. And the two-gear kickdown under load with the turbos spooling up was utterly phenomenal. Again, one of those I-forgot-I-was-the-heavy-SUV moments.

This little cannonball run ended just outside SLC when the lead car motioned out the window that this was their exit. Everyone else got off, and there was a nice exchange of waves as we went our separate ways. Great fun.

Again, this experience was the very embodiment of the reason I chose this SUV, and why I got the turbo engine. And to the latter point I will add that during some of this 15-20 minute sprint, while checking to see just who had what radar sitting on their dash (none that I could see), I deduced that in the event some over-ambitious Utah Trooper decided to pull us all over, only I would be able to gently slow down, raise the suspension, and glide off the highway shoulder onto the salt flats, and angle toward some side road somewhere in true off-road rallye style! (cut to sunset scene and roll credits)
Old 07-13-2011, 12:19 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

I've been on that stretch of road, with cruise control locked at 110MPH in SWMBO's '03 BMW 525i Touring.

Right now - in Boulder CO area on the trip cross country.. 1,950 miles so far.. only 800 to go to the half-way point..
Old 07-13-2011, 07:55 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

I live in the Poconos and since buying the Cayenne in February I've racked up a trip to Kentucky (1300 miles), a trip to Jamestown, NY (550 miles) and a trip to Cape Cod (750 miles). This on top of my daily 20 mile commute-plus-kids' activities. Tomorrow, I'm off to Edinburgh, IN (1300 miles).

Throughout, the car has been flawless. Just superb!

In the shop now for an oil change and a detailing before the Indiana trip!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

In Grand Junction CO now.. boy is Rt 70 between Denver and Grand Junction spectacular! It's like driving down the center of the Grand Canyon - with the Colorado River only feet away for a lot of the drive. Very cool drive in a Cayenne.. recommended. Haven't checked the trip log- but my WAG (will check later) is about 2,300 miles so far. Above 5,000 feet you can really feel the power loss - 10,000 feet it's significant. The Tiptronic came in very handy for the 7% 15 mile long sections (both up and down) we drove through.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's my favorite place. Go up on the Grand Mesa you won't regret it, the Monument drive is also cool
Old 07-14-2011, 05:10 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

I'm also on a road trip with my CT-S right now, about 800miles so far, about 600 to go. flawless so far...

done about 40min of constant 140mph+ autobahn drive, been toying with a guy in E 63amg along the way - will definitely need more power in future
leaving munich today, crossing to austria with strict traffic rules (and really high fines), so it's going to be a little boring.

Quick Reply: Road Trip Essentials :: '04 CTT