Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 AM
nixul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged wheels and $500 for window wipers

I am looking to buy a 08 CTT, the detailed info is here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-with-cpo.html

After checking the service record, the previous owner spent $500 on the wipers, each time $76. And the rear wiper was broken once. Is this common?

The engine light was on recently and the themostat has to be replaced.

Also the horns has been replaced three times.

The biggest repair is the wheels. When the dealer was doing the CPO, they found three damaged wheels and sent them to sports car wheel shop for repair. The three 20" wheels cost $700 to repair. Anyone has experience with wheel repairs. Should this be a big concern before I write the check?

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The wheels were probably just curbed or out of round, Horns failing is very common.... $500 on wipers? Thats just odd.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM
nixul
Intermediate

Thanks Marc!

So you don't think the wheels should be a big concern?

The front wiper was changed three times, two times for the rear wiper and a repair for rear wiper. Add up total is more than $500.

Do you think this truck worth buy?

Also could you recommend a set of 18" wheels for CTT. I am thinking to put on snow tires on it.

Too many questions from a Porsche newbie. Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
The wheels were probably just curbed or out of round, Horns failing is very common.... $500 on wipers? Thats just odd.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nixul
Thanks Marc!

So you don't think the wheels should be a big concern?

The front wiper was changed three times, two times for the rear wiper and a repair for rear wiper. Add up total is more than $500.

Do you think this truck worth buy?

Also could you recommend a set of 18" wheels for CTT. I am thinking to put on snow tires on it.

Too many questions from a Porsche newbie. Thanks for your help!
Suncoast Porsche has the entire wiper set for $46, I suspect that is the dealer's price. I bought my 18" winter rims from a great Rennlister for $400 or $500 (can't remember well), they have worked just fine for 5 New England winters. My 05 Cayenne has been thru 2 sets of horns under warranty. These small issues should not deter you from buying an otherwise sound pre-owned Cayenne. Obviously a thorough PPI is recommended.
GL.
Sam
Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
jkseger
Intermediate

I recall reading some posts about wipers and elephants, something about them making a awful sound.

Maybe the owner complained and then had the dealer replace them at the owner's expense... only to find that the fix only lasted for a short time... so they had them replaced again... and so on... and so on...

John
Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jkseger
I recall reading some posts about wipers and elephants, something about them making a awful sound.

Maybe the owner complained and then had the dealer replace them at the owner's expense... only to find that the fix only lasted for a short time... so they had them replaced again... and so on... and so on...

John
My S had the wiper noise/hop issue but it was rectified under warranty years ago. no issues now.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:24 AM
nixul
Intermediate

Thanks Sam! That's great info.

My wife was going to kill me last night when she heard that this fancy truck cannot do well in snow. This is the biggest excuse armed me to buy this car. If four wheels cost $500, then she would be fine with that.

Looks like the horns are common problem. Replacing them costs $170 at dealer.

You are right. Overall this is a sound CTT, and it has CPO. Most likely I will go for it.

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
Suncoast Porsche has the entire wiper set for $46, I suspect that is the dealer's price. I bought my 18" winter rims from a great Rennlister for $400 or $500 (can't remember well), they have worked just fine for 5 New England winters. My 05 Cayenne has been thru 2 sets of horns under warranty. These small issues should not deter you from buying an otherwise sound pre-owned Cayenne. Obviously a thorough PPI is recommended.
GL.
Sam
Old 06-15-2011, 11:28 AM
nixul
Intermediate

John, I guess you are right. The owner keeps on changing the blade with dealer service. A rich guy changes a new CTT every three years.

Originally Posted by jkseger

John
Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM
nixul
Intermediate

Marc, do you recall what the dealer do?

Looks like I have to worry about this and fix it.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
My S had the wiper noise/hop issue but it was rectified under warranty years ago. no issues now.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:10 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would go with the 18 inch rims with snow tires. The truck does quite well in snow!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought my blades at Pep Boys for like 20$ a piece. Zone, Advance etc will carry them as well. Just plain old rain X blades. Takes 42 seconds to change your own blade.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nixul
Marc, do you recall what the dealer do?

Looks like I have to worry about this and fix it.

Thanks again!
I will see if I can dig up the records, I think they replaced the wiper arms... but not sure.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

I had a lot of problems with my wipers -- the dealer replaced all kinds of parts but eventually replaced the arms with an updated set and that took care of the problem. But .......... mine still likes new wipers. I get the OE Bosch blade set from Autohaus for $35.00. Bosch makes different compounds -- the soft ones work best -- but they don't last very long. They are about $75 dollars at the dealer --- and then they charge to install them!! I may use two sets every 12 months.

Some of the Porsche rims are easy to mark up -- and the car is difficult to parallel park ............. The rims are a minor problem --- Its the gas and the tires that will get you
Old 06-15-2011, 06:04 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Great info!
I will be looking for 18" wheels for our 2012 to put snows on as well.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
nixul
Intermediate

Thanks man.
The 42 seconds sounds attractive.

Originally Posted by Little Green
I bought my blades at Pep Boys for like 20$ a piece. Zone, Advance etc will carry them as well. Just plain old rain X blades. Takes 42 seconds to change your own blade.

Quick Reply: Damaged wheels and $500 for window wipers