Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn key no start, turn again and she starts

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Since I have replaced it, I have had one time where it failed to start, but I also suspect that the unit has not fully charged yet as it was the next day and I didn't have a chance to drive around the day I installed it.

I did take the old battery to autozone and they told me the battery tests fine, just needs a charge....

Not sure what their tests are worth, as I have heard of autozone saying the battery is fine and it wasn't.

I did throw it on my wall charger for 3 hours at 6amps and it only got to 75% Will try again this weekend.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Since I have replaced it, I have had one time where it failed to start, but I also suspect that the unit has not fully charged yet as it was the next day and I didn't have a chance to drive around the day I installed it.

I did take the old battery to autozone and they told me the battery tests fine, just needs a charge....

Not sure what their tests are worth, as I have heard of autozone saying the battery is fine and it wasn't.

I did throw it on my wall charger for 3 hours at 6amps and it only got to 75% Will try again this weekend.
On both a previous owned Tahoe and Sequoia I had the batteries tested at our local Interstate Battery distributor after a couple non-start (wouldn't turn over) events, on both batteries they said they were fine just needed charging. After the next non-start event I replaced the batteries and never had the problem again. Their testing equipment is inadequate IMHO.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:34 AM
r6bruin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for hijacking the thread but my 957S had the same issue, even I ensure that voltage is at 12v or more before startup, with this failure I replaced both battery (main) and also starter, and it still failed to start the 1st time occasionally.

I did some search and some similar issues happened to MB as well and that seems to relate to camshaft position sensor. Does anyone with this issue tried to replace that sensor before and can confirm if that would address the issue?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c219...g-off-not.html

TIA!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:35 AM
crs051767
Intermediate

I noticed the same thing when I bought my p!g 2 mths. ago and it was really annoying me at first. After putting some thought into it, I decided to try inserting the key and waiting before turning it. Violá! After a second or two, the car recognizes the key and lets me start it. It is funny that this is how it is designed to work, considering that the keyhole is in the left side of the steering wheel because back in the day when race drivers used to stand outside their cars until the start race GO signal was given, Porsche decided to change the location of the keyhole, so racers would be able to start their cars sooner. Now, it looks like it does not make sense anymore, so why not just put the darn thing back where it belongs? Thank you Porsche!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:47 AM
touareg
Drifting

One of the things that does happen when you insert the key is the fuel system is primed. This could mask the issue that your fuel system is de-pressurized.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM
touareg
Drifting

I was just talking to my buddy, who used to be a mechanic, if he was familiar with the electronic starts on cars now days. (He stopped wrenching in 2000 or so.)

He said not really, but I asked him anyways, I said if you wanted to have the car know when the car started, what would you check to release the electronic engagement of the starter. He said he would watch the RPMs.

He also mentioned remote starters watch RPMs to determine if a car has started and to stop cranking as well.

Maybe that will help someone?
Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would suspect a pre flight fault, when you open the doors the fuel system is supposed to prime and you should easily hear it. Could be leaking down from the check valve at the front, common problem
Old 11-06-2013, 04:20 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I had similar symptoms. Changed battery, things got better and then eventually went back to the same 2 months down the road.

I ended up doing the starter 2 weeks back and all is well. Its amazing how strong the crank is now. I can almost guarantee you its your starter.

Last edited by RajDatta; 11-07-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:22 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
I had similar symptoms. Changed battery, things got better and them eventually went back to the same 2 months down the road.

I ended up doing the starter 2 weeks back and all is well. Its amazing how strong the crank is now. I can almost guarantee you its your starter.
Same exact thing, but I never replaced the starter on my old Cayenne S and just lived with it, my new to me Turbo takes a bit to start but cranks like a champ.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:11 AM
markar
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I have same problem porsche mecanic saying need new starter on 2008 S.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:48 AM
PeanutinCA
Pro

What's the chance it's the battery in the key? I just bought on '08 GTS, same issues, although the one thing is I'm only doing short drives so far so the comments about the battery not charging do make me think. But the seller mentioned both battery keys he thought were going low. After 3 days of ownership I noticed the start crank got more lethargic until the 4th day when almost no crank. I changed the battery and good start slowly gave away to the random no start or half attempted start, before starting the second time. With the couple posts about doors not realizing they were open, or slow acknowledge of the key, I wonder if the key signal is weak with a low battery? I might try that next, see what happens. Will report back.

BTW, love the new (to me) GTS, it's a beast! Turning off the PSM, giddy up.

Dylan.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:51 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Worth a fob battery swap to test but I'd think if the electronics didn't sense a proper fob upon key turn, the alarm would sound in addition to the engine not cranking. I don't know - I'm only speculating based on how I'd program the thing if I worked for VAG.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:08 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

I hear you. A couple other small things I notice that lead me to ask the key battery question, maybe 5% of the time the door does not unlock on first press of the key, requiring a second attempt. And a couple times on the turn of the key to start, it just hasn't even attempted to start, even though I gained entry. This morning I put the key in and turn 1 position, waited, then turned to start and it fired STRONG. If I were to think back, there is quite possibly a relationship in the failed start to a quick attempt to insert the key and start without any wait time.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:25 PM
schroed911
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the intermittent starter problem: sometimes ok, sometimes slow crank, sometimes no crank - but always started. New battery in 12/2012, warranty replacement of battery ini 6/2013. Replaced the starter this month and seems to be ok now. $1600 parts and labor at dealer.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:53 PM
PeanutinCA
Pro

Since adopting the turn the key and wait a few seconds to prime, it's been a 100% success rate (for me). The 2 or 3 times in a month it hasn't worked has been the turn straight to start position (sometimes by accident). I do see a correlation with priming the car for a couple seconds and having it start every time.

Quick Reply: Turn key no start, turn again and she starts