Sponsored by:

Turn key no start, turn again and she starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Turn key no start, turn again and she starts

Like the title says I can sometimes get in the Pepper, put key in ignition, dash lights up as should, foot on brake pedal, turn key to start but it doesn't do anything. No crank, no click, no nothing. Turn key off, turn it back to start and it starts fine.

First couple of times I just thought I wasn't stepping on the brake hard enough but it's done it enough times now that I don't believe that's it. It does act as if the brake pedal is not being pushed though.

Anyone else experience it?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:14 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Battery perhaps?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:49 AM
eberg
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happens to me as well on occassion, Bill.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Battery perhaps?
While this is still the original battery I don't think that's it. Once it starts to turn over it it turns over nice and strong. Actually, on this vehicle with all the electronics, if the battery was getting weak I would expect other devices to start acting flakey.
Originally Posted by eberg
Happens to me as well on occassion, Bill.
OK, thanks. Mine seems to be becoming more frequent. Will keep monitoring.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:07 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bill, the reason I suggest the battery... is that I have recently begun to occurr the same symptoms with my `05 CS and still have the orginal battery installed. I too have not experienced any other electronic abnormalitites. Keep forgetting to check the battery output with my volt meter
Old 05-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Bill, the reason I suggest the battery... is that I have recently begun to occurr the same symptoms with my `05 CS and still have the orginal battery installed. I too have not experienced any other electronic abnormalitites. Keep forgetting to check the battery output with my volt meter
Hum, maybe that's a thought. My prod. date is something like 9/05 so nearing 6 yrs on the battery, might just go ahead and replace it and avoid the demise at the worst possible time.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:26 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^ That's kinda what I'm thinking as well.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Well it's done it to me twice today. We're HOT and heat's not good on a battery. I think I'm going to order a Interstate battery and install it myself and avoid getting stranded in the middle of a hot parking lot.

Now if only the coolant tubes would fail before the CPO is up.....

FYI, it's Interstate # MTP-49/H8 174.95/208.95 (local store wants $182.95)
Old 06-03-2011, 02:16 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

I don't think it's the battery. I found that when that happens, it just needs a turn to the left before you turn to the right to start. It's not a mechanical system so maybe it just needs to reset (turn the left). I just chalk it up as one of the electrical gremlins like why my int wipers have a mind of their own. First time my wife drove my car she sat there for 10 min trying to start it before calling me all hot and bothered as to why it wouldn't start...quick turn to the left and then the right and that was it...she was not amused
Btw...I have an almost new battery and it does it often. Battery is fine. If the battery was bad you'd also have trouble cranking or it would be most appearant then.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:04 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by quattrotman
I don't think it's the battery. I found that when that happens, it just needs a turn to the left before you turn to the right to start. It's not a mechanical system so maybe it just needs to reset (turn the left). I just chalk it up as one of the electrical gremlins like why my int wipers have a mind of their own. First time my wife drove my car she sat there for 10 min trying to start it before calling me all hot and bothered as to why it wouldn't start...quick turn to the left and then the right and that was it...she was not amused
Btw...I have an almost new battery and it does it often. Battery is fine. If the battery was bad you'd also have trouble cranking or it would be most appearant then.
What your describing is the start procedure with a 2 battery car. This also indicates that the main battery is in trouble
Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 PM
quattrotman
Advanced

Originally Posted by mudman2
What your describing is the start procedure with a 2 battery car. This also indicates that the main battery is in trouble
No, I'm not. I have a single battery. It's not a procedure, it happens 1 out of ten times I start the vehicle. My friend's CS does the same thing. Either way, this is not a battery issue. I think it's a common quirk though.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:42 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Really, that is the written procedure for starting from the Aux battery when the main is dead. The only other thing that makes sense then is the ignition switch itself is damaged.

I have not heard of this description before, perhaps others have.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by quattrotman
I would investigate Mudman's theory a little more if I were you. On mine, when it failed to start (and it did it better than 2 dozen times), all I did was release the ignition key back to the static/rest position, I never had to turn it to the fully counter-clockwise position to get it to start. Release key then turn clockwise a second time and she would start was my process.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:15 PM
quattrotman
Advanced

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I would investigate Mudman's theory a little more if I were you. On mine, when it failed to start (and it did it better than 2 dozen times), all I did was release the ignition key back to the static/rest position, I never had to turn it to the fully counter-clockwise position to get it to start. Release key then turn clockwise a second time and she would start was my process.
??
I may just need to turn it back to rest instead of fully counterclockwise (I just instinctively do that). I don't really think that is the point. The point I was trying to make is that it's not the battery.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Anything ever come of this? My car has been doing this for 2 years.

Replaced the battery 1 year ago.

On mine, it does a "half-crank", then stops. Then I turn it all the way back (guess I don't need to do this) turn and release clockwise in about a second and then it cranks a few times till the engine catches and starts fine.

It kinds sounds like the starter is seized a little, then the second time is spins more freely, engaging the gear and turning over until the car starts.

I can almost never just flick the key and the car starts. I assume it is the same as my touareg, which acts like a push button start, I just flick the key clock wise and release it cranks a few times and fires up.

I suspect my starter is going...

Quick Reply: Turn key no start, turn again and she starts