Dealer add on for 11 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:46 PM
pg103
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer add on for 11 Cayenne

Hello all,
I'm taking the delivery of my Cayenne in the next couple of week. My salesperson mentioned a couple of add on to consider. I was wondering as to what you all think:

1. Clear Bra Protection for the Bumper and 1/4 of the hood: $895
2. 3 yr service plan: $1250
3. Wheels and Tire protection for 4 yr: $1149

I'm thinking about at least getting the Clear Bra Protection since I do a lot of interstate driving and the car is Jet Black Mettalic.

Thank you all for the help!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

no,

no,

and no.

i'm here in tampa as well and reeves and bert smith just wanna milk you for every dime they can.. the clear bra looks like crap cause the seam will be across hood and bumper will be done horribly.. the service plan is a joke because ONLY covers required mait, (2 oil changes, maybe a cabin filter)... thats like 500$ total.
the wheel and tire is a scam because you can call a mobile repair guy for 100$ and whole set of tires is 800$... and you CAN plug them regardless of what anyone says.. this isn't a bugatti.

for the record, if you EVER need tires... hit me up and i'll order you a set wholesale... IF you say no to all three. lol.

the cayenne paint is thicker IMO than my 911 paint was.. after the love bug season we just had, everything came off with ease.. no chips.. looks great..

if your dealing with bert smith or reeves, please double check all your paperwork when it arrives.. also take note that you should be paying the price when you ordered.. and NOT the current increased MSRP.. ;-).. i like bert smith and all, but every deal i've sent them the guy in the little room tries to **** you over every chance he gets... they also wanted to short me 11k on my 09 911 trade in, and gouge me 5k extra on my 11' cayenne order (i traded in and bought elsewhere) because prior to this they were 13k high on buying the 09 and 10k short on my 05 911 trade in.. (I HATE FLORIDA DEALERS!)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 PM
pg103
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rijowysock
no,

no,

and no.

i'm here in tampa as well and reeves and bert smith just wanna milk you for every dime they can.. the clear bra looks like crap cause the seam will be across hood and bumper will be done horribly.. the service plan is a joke because ONLY covers required mait, (2 oil changes, maybe a cabin filter)... thats like 500$ total.
the wheel and tire is a scam because you can call a mobile repair guy for 100$ and whole set of tires is 800$... and you CAN plug them regardless of what anyone says.. this isn't a bugatti.

for the record, if you EVER need tires... hit me up and i'll order you a set wholesale... IF you say no to all three. lol.

the cayenne paint is thicker IMO than my 911 paint was.. after the love bug season we just had, everything came off with ease.. no chips.. looks great..

if your dealing with bert smith or reeves, please double check all your paperwork when it arrives.. also take note that you should be paying the price when you ordered.. and NOT the current increased MSRP.. ;-).. i like bert smith and all, but every deal i've sent them the guy in the little room tries to **** you over every chance he gets... they also wanted to short me 11k on my 09 911 trade in, and gouge me 5k extra on my 11' cayenne order (i traded in and bought elsewhere) because prior to this they were 13k high on buying the 09 and 10k short on my 05 911 trade in.. (I HATE FLORIDA DEALERS!)
Haha.....Good to know.....The quote was from Reeves
Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pg103
Hello all,
I'm taking the delivery of my Cayenne in the next couple of week. My salesperson mentioned a couple of add on to consider. I was wondering as to what you all think:

1. Clear Bra Protection for the Bumper and 1/4 of the hood: $895
2. 3 yr service plan: $1250
3. Wheels and Tire protection for 4 yr: $1149

I'm thinking about at least getting the Clear Bra Protection since I do a lot of interstate driving and the car is Jet Black Mettalic.

Thank you all for the help!
Kudos to Sonnen for not putting me through the dealer add-on bs when I got my last two cars from them. Regarding the 3 year service, for my cayman I remember paying $250 for the 1st year service, and closer to $822 for the year than trading it in. Not sure what the 3 year service typically costs.

I've always wondered about wheel and tire protection because I have the worst luck with tires. What happens if you have to replace one damaged tire at around the 7k mark where you should at least replace two tires. Does tire protection only cover the one damaged tire? Tirerack shows $1100 to replace all four of my tires plus shipping and install.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 PM
THense
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NFW

No

No

No
Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Starting with comment 28.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...the-usa-2.html

I decided against the clear bra.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 PM
comis_hq
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Riley for the info!!

BTW, which reference do dealers use to find out the value of trade-in vehicle?

I am in NJ, and one of the dealer was using vauto.com. The value there was more than 10% less than KBB.com.

Should I shop around dealers for the trade-in too? Any discount I get will be easily wiped off if they do not properly value my old car!

I'd be happy with KBB value (after looking at vauto.com) but does any Porsche dealer use that book?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by comis_hq
Thanks Riley for the info!!

BTW, which reference do dealers use to find out the value of trade-in vehicle?

I am in NJ, and one of the dealer was using vauto.com. The value there was more than 10% less than KBB.com.

Should I shop around dealers for the trade-in too? Any discount I get will be easily wiped off if they do not properly value my old car!

I'd be happy with KBB value (after looking at vauto.com) but does any Porsche dealer use that book?
they "SAY" they use manheim auction (used to go off blue book trade in (black book)).. but i looked up numbers on manheim for my 05 which was 45.. and they wanted to give me 35.. i looked up numbers for my 09 which was 71 and they wanted to give me 55.. so basically they make stuff up.. i found it funny that instead of making 5k on the trade and 3k on the new car.. they basically didn't even want to touch anything unless it was like 20k total in their pocket.. which is insulting..

what i did, and will do FOREVER is: post your car for sale online (autotrader is where i get best results) for a "fair" price (more than what they wanna give you, but far less than comparable vehicles online) ... now shop around for the car you want during this time, when you find a dealer willing to give you the deal you want on new car, ask them to broker the sale of your other car. the buyer sends the dealer the payment (safer for them), the dealer does the paperwork and you get the tax savings because they are basically buying the car and selling it to the guy costs like $250 for paperwork for them to broker the sale, but you get the same tax savings that you would get from a trade in, but higher value on the car... also can negotiate the new car more since its a straight sale and your shopping around versus going to where you need to trade it.

doing this, as noted before on this website has saved me nearly like 35-40k in the last few cars i have bought...

kbb value is usually what you'll get from autotrader, pay the 70$ and do the unlimited one... i have sold like 5 cars on autotrader... my 09 i messed up because i put it forsale with mods on it first and then people didnt click it as much cause they didnt want the mods... stock cars sell best.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

I generally feel that dealer add ons are only a good deal for the dealer, not the buyer. Maybe it's the skeptic in me.

1. I decided against the clear bra. I've also seen too many cars with it and to me, the front looked worse than it would have without it. Maybe it wasn't cared for properly, or it was a poor job, but it wasn't appealing. If you're leaning towards getting it done, I'd say go to a reputable shop and custom wrap the full hood and front bumper so you don't see any lines. The edges will collect dirt, which will show up against any color car, esp JBM. Plus, I think a shop that specializes in PPF will do a better job than the dealer.

2. Good thread below where the prepaid service plans were discussed. The consensus seemed to be NO since it was a lot of checking/inspecting this or that and a couple oil changes. However, if you get 3 oil changes (10k, 20k, 30k) and the Minor service at 20k, it might cost more than $1250 if you plan on taking it to the dealer. Have them break it down for you. I still have a couple months to decide, but don't plan on purchasing.

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ance-plan.html

3. I have never been a believer in tire protection plans, probably because I've been fortunate and haven't had bad luck with my tires (knocking on wood now). I can't see this being worthwhile, esp. with Riley promising to order you set at wholesale prices
Old 05-17-2011, 08:10 AM
comis_hq
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
they "SAY" they use manheim auction (used to go off blue book trade in (black book)).. but i looked up numbers on manheim for my 05 which was 45.. and they wanted to give me 35.. i looked up numbers for my 09 which was 71 and they wanted to give me 55.. so basically they make stuff up.. i found it funny that instead of making 5k on the trade and 3k on the new car.. they basically didn't even want to touch anything unless it was like 20k total in their pocket.. which is insulting..

what i did, and will do FOREVER is: post your car for sale online (autotrader is where i get best results) for a "fair" price (more than what they wanna give you, but far less than comparable vehicles online) ... now shop around for the car you want during this time, when you find a dealer willing to give you the deal you want on new car, ask them to broker the sale of your other car. the buyer sends the dealer the payment (safer for them), the dealer does the paperwork and you get the tax savings because they are basically buying the car and selling it to the guy costs like $250 for paperwork for them to broker the sale, but you get the same tax savings that you would get from a trade in, but higher value on the car... also can negotiate the new car more since its a straight sale and your shopping around versus going to where you need to trade it.

doing this, as noted before on this website has saved me nearly like 35-40k in the last few cars i have bought...

kbb value is usually what you'll get from autotrader, pay the 70$ and do the unlimited one... i have sold like 5 cars on autotrader... my 09 i messed up because i put it forsale with mods on it first and then people didnt click it as much cause they didnt want the mods... stock cars sell best.
Thanks again, this is really a great help!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:13 AM
m453w
Rennlist Member

I'd agree with the no's on the tire and warranty packages. However, after numerous experiences with clear bras, I wouldn't own a car without one. I've had them on a black Cayman S, a red C6 Vette, a gray C4S, and now a silver Cayenne S. When installed properly, they are hard to see. You do have the faint line going across your hood, but IMO, that's a small downside given the protection it provides. I've both left it on at resale and removed it for the new owner. The front end looks blemish free. There are always a ton of bugs stuck to the front after a trip - the come off easily with a little speed shine. Also always seem tone behind the guy who can't stay on the road and get subjected to gravel spray. The bra keeps the front end paint intact. Just look for an installer who has done your specific vehicle and ask to see their previous work. Focus on edges, seams, and mating joints. Check compound curves on mirrors and lower bumper areas. Those tend to be the areas that separate mediocre from high quality installs. Hope this helps in your decision process.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

clear bra = plastic on couch
Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I never buy the add ones. Prefer to "self insure."
Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree on the professional sales experience and reasonable service costs at Sonnen. The service costs are actually cheaper than my local independent, and Sonnen has done many things for me as a professional courtesy.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:22 PM
KS-CS
Racer

1. If your going to do the clear bra, I think you will usually get a better price going directly to a specialty shop (that your dealer probably subs it out to), rather than thru the dealer.

2. My dealer offered me this service "deal" also - after I added up the likely service charges (at my dealer) over 3 yrs, the price made it a wash between the two.

3. I got this, but only because my wife (primary driver) has a habit of finding every curb with her wheel, and every nail in the road.

Quick Reply: Dealer add on for 11 Cayenne