Sponsored by:

Cluster settings - 2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Cluster settings - 2011

Not sure if this applies to previous years, but I'd like to know how others have configured their cluster screen settings. Hoping to get some tips to maybe do it differently.

I only have 2 screens available- audio and the car info screen, I've hid the rest. Anyone find the other screens useful, such as Nav, Trip Info, other? With the car info screen, I customized it to show Range, Audio, Phone, and Date. Not all that useful, though I do like to see the est. miles I can drive with the tank of gas. The fixed top line is the Compass, fixed bottom is Time/Temp. I find that I rarely have the info screen up, as I mostly use the Audio screen so I can change radio stations or track on the iPod. This is how I set things form the first week and haven't bothered to adjust. Anyone found any of the settings in the cluster view useful?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
mt-sfo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the speed limit show on the top line - helpful if you spot a cop so you know how much you need to slow down ;-)

I like having the oil temp show as I try not to push the car until the engine has warmed up, and the steering wheel blocks my view of the analog oil temp gauge.

because I don't use my car to commute it often sits for a few days at a time, so I also have the battery level showing.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

I still have all of my screens active. On my vehicle screen, the top fixed line is Audio and the bottom is time/date. The rest of the car info screen is Range, Compass, Voltage, and Oil Temp like mt-sfo.

One thing that bugs me, unless I'm missing something, is that there is no way to have average MPG show up on any of the summary screens. You have to dig down a couple of levels to get to Consumption. To me, the mileage number is more relevant than some of the other stuff like Ride Time or even Average Speed.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Interesting on the oil temp, makes sense. I find the telephone line fairly useless since there is an indicator on the PCM screen, I'll swap that line out.

Agree with you Mike on the avg mpg. I usually look at that on the PCM by hitting the "Car" button. I like to see both avg mpg for the current trip and tank, therefore I have to look at both page 2 & 3.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:21 AM
SeaPors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

One thing that bugs me, unless I'm missing something, is that there is no way to have average MPG show up on any of the summary screens. You have to dig down a couple of levels to get to Consumption. To me, the mileage number is more relevant than some of the other stuff like Ride Time or even Average Speed.
+1 Mike, I haven't found yet a way to get average mpg readily visible. Takes about 3-4 clicks in the menus to get to consumption. The eyes have to leave the road too long so best to do it at a stop light.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:04 AM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

You can view it quickly by pressing CAR on the PCM but nothing on the dash cluster with one button
Old 05-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I too like to have the speed limit show up on the top line. When that information is not available it shows the compass.

The MPG should more readily visible and I also wish it would be available as part of the bar graph feature on the hybrid. For the hybrid, driving style can have a huge impact on mileage.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

I will say that after reading these posts I discovered the CAR button on PCM. I had looked for a TRIP button, like that on my Carrera, and was disappointed and surprised that the Cayenne didn't have one. As it turns out, CAR supplies the same kind of info that TRIP does including MPG. I think I missed it because the only time I tried CAR I just got the little pictogram showing Park Assist info. Anyway, I'm somewhat satisfied now, although I still think consumption should be available as an option on the instrument cluster display front page, not a lower level selection.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-02-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:34 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

pressing car does nothing in my cdr-31

i wish it could be selectable for the info screen.. who cares about oil pressure and temp and coolant temp (they already have fixed gauges!)
Old 05-04-2011, 01:34 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
pressing car does nothing in my cdr-31
I guess no Nav means you also don't get the 3 screens of info... 2 of them are the same trip info you can get in the cluster, and the other has some customizable info that I really don't use all that often either. I do like the trip views, but I suppose they aren't a must.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:52 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i just have 5 screens in the cluster, i removed audio and phone today.. easier to navigate since they are in the pcm as well.

Quick Reply: Cluster settings - 2011