Sponsored by:

2011 Cayenne S Arrives - PDCC, Air Susp, PTV

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Technovc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill P.
Similar setup as mine--I love the sport wheel but am still getting used to the paddles.
I've had paddles on my 360 Modena, F430, M3, GTI and now my Brabus Smart. I ordered the Sport wheel because all of these cars have R/L paddles (not push-pull) and my first learning with paddles was that there is a learning curve as you get the paddles into kinesthetic memory. So, my view is that you definitely want to stick with one paddle system across cars.

I think Porsche is just coming to grips (no pun intended) with paddles ergonomically. You notice this because of the indecision between "push-pull" and "R/L" designs as offered across the line, but in more ways than that. You really notice it in the way shifts are executed with the Sport Wheel paddles.

First, the paddle throw here is longer than with any other paddle system I've used. That isn't per se bad, but Porsche doesn't really take advantage of it. Because there is a delay before the shift is executed, and because the shift takes time to execute, Porsche could use the long throw purposefully. They could initiate the shift in the middle of the throw, but signal to the driver that the shift has been "done" via a click (preferably mechanically, so you feel it more than hear it) at the end of the throw. This would make you feel the shifts are happening faster. Of course, initiating them more quickly would be better still, but I assume that is much harder. Ideally Porsche would do both, concentrating on speed of initiation, not speed of shift execution.

Second, the Cayenne S is simply too mechanically quiet for sub-concious paddle shifting. To really enjoy paddle use, you have to hear the rev band. In an ideal world, the Sport Wheel would come with less sound deadening on the fire wall (or an Aston-like bleed of the engine compartment via the stereo when in "M" mode or "Sport" mode). Sport exhaust may be a partial solution (I didn't, sadly, order it -- but at least it can be added).

Third, the steering ratio must be carefully chosen for paddle shifting. The Cayenne steering slightly too slow to make paddles really work. Of course, you can use the stick (and a very nice stick it is). Ideally, you'd get a somewhat quicker ratio with the Sport Wheel.

There, I just turned a $0 option into something that will cost $1750. Now, that feels more like Porsche!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:17 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Technovc
Thanks for the tip on clear side markers.
Here's a shot with the clear markers... https://rennlist.com/forums/8337969-post2.html
Old 04-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Thanks. Any issue with passing State inspection with these?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:15 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Technovc
Thanks. Any issue with passing State inspection with these?
You shouldn't have any issues, assuming you have the amber glowing bulbs behind them. I ordered my clears from Sunset, they'll sell you bulbs with them if you wish. Be sure to order the right sized clear markers, they make a standard size and larger size that protrude out much more. I opted to get these bulbs instead, as they're silver coated (they still light up in amber).

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=480762_0_0_
Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice configuration, love the way you loaded it all up... we actually just ordered a 2012 but went with the 21 Cayenne Sport Wheels instead on the white/chrome and black interior. I have the turbo II rims on the 911 and looking for something different. I wish there was a way to see the difference that PDCC and PTV make on the car.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:23 AM
Technovc
Advanced

Your color combo and wheel choice was next to the top of my list. My main problem was that the dealer could show me black but not white on a real car.

When you say "see" PDCC and PTV work do you mean "see" literally? 'cause there is a Porsche video of PDCC.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S Arrives - PDCC, Air Susp, PTV