Sponsored by:

Cayenne S stuck in Houston port!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I have a hard time understanding why they would wait to deliver the cars to the dealers until after the replacement. I would think they could use this downtime to get them there that way when the replacement DME's arrive they won't have the additional delay of transport before the customer gets their car.
Good point. I'd like to hear an explanation for that, and some other things about this fiasco that bug me. For example, are they still building new Cayennes? I mean, if there are limited DME units available shouldn't they be used to repair cars already sold instead of putting them into new ones on the production line? Ok, so maybe that's not practical, but it ticks me off anyway.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Mike
I'm set to leave on a 3500 mile trip in my 2011 S, next week so I am really pressuring my local dealer to get the new controller in my Cayenne Point being, if the issue is important enough to hold vehicles at the port for weeks, then it is unsafe for me to take my new one on a trip. Secondly, I thought the issue was with vehicles produced prior to week 45, then why is yours still at the port and mine produced on 9 feb 2011 in the affected VIN range. Interesting question without answer
Old 04-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

f4 plt, based on what my salesman said, Phase 1 vehicles (those in owner's hands) should already have received their upgrade. The fact that yours is on the list and still hasn't been upgraded shows what a CF this whole thing is. As for the week 45 date, I'd have to go back and look at the notification again, but IIRC there was room for doubt over whether it was cars before or after week 45 that were affected.

In any event, I understand your concern about taking a long trip. Presumably, not all vehicles in the suspect VIN range are going to have the problem and the fact that yours is (I assume) running ok is a good sign. Still, it's worrisome. Hope you get it sorted out in time.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:24 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
f4 plt, based on what my salesman said, Phase 1 vehicles (those in owner's hands) should already have received their upgrade. The fact that yours is on the list and still hasn't been upgraded shows what a CF this whole thing is. As for the week 45 date, I'd have to go back and look at the notification again, but IIRC there was room for doubt over whether it was cars before or after week 45 that were affected.

In any event, I understand your concern about taking a long trip. Presumably, not all vehicles in the suspect VIN range are going to have the problem and the fact that yours is (I assume) running ok is a good sign. Still, it's worrisome. Hope you get it sorted out in time.
Mike:

Just got a call from my dealer and the parts have arrived. I now better understand the issue ie the time required to install and re program as they must also reprogram all your keys. hopefully I will have the pepper back Friday jack
Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Mike:

Just got a call from my dealer and the parts have arrived. I now better understand the issue ie the time required to install and re program as they must also reprogram all your keys. hopefully I will have the pepper back Friday jack
How long did they say the procedure will take?
Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike:

Jack, outstanding. Glad this is working for somebody.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 AM
langkane
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dealer called in Yesterday, car is fixed and will be loaded on truck friday or saturday for a delivery early next week!!
Old 04-14-2011, 10:53 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aperture776
How long did they say the procedure will take?
Tech at the dealership did not know. There are five plus pages of detailed instructions / checklist to accomplish in this process. One of them involves re-programing all keys for the Cayenne. I will post when I get the car back... hopefully today
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by langkane
dealer called in Yesterday, car is fixed and will be loaded on truck friday or saturday for a delivery early next week!!
Congratulations your wait is almost over.

Mike any word on yours?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 211 Posts

Frustrating to have to wait, but would probably be more frustrating to take delivery only to have problems or give back the car to wait for the new part/repair? Glad to see some of you are taking delivery soon- waiting is no fun.

Mike- hope your gets the update soon.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Mike any word on yours?
Originally Posted by slwong23
Mike- hope your gets the update soon.
Thanks for asking guys. Nothing since my last contact on Tuesday but the fact that langkane's car has been released gives me hope something may break soon even though his was in Houston and mine's in San Diego.

Edit: Just heard from my salesman again. He says cars are now being shipped to his dealership whether the upgrade has been done or not. (maybe they read 993BillW's post and took his advice). Parts are being sent to the dealer as well and upgrade will be performed there. He's not entirely sure whether my car will arrive already upgraded or not but it should be here in the next few days.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 04-14-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:19 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Mike ... and others with new Cayennes

Got mine back from the dealer last evening and was told it took almost 5 hours. the actual installation of the new DME is straightforward but then all keys need to be re-programmed as well as uploading the large software bundle the controls everything. The tech said the software upload is cumbersome and time consuming. He then took the Cayenne on an extended test drive to make sure everything was as it should be. following that is was a detailed scan to check for code issues. I have put about 60 miles on it since I picked it up ( that's the trip home) and all seems well. Of course I was not having any problems with the old DME . The delay was frustrating with a trip coming up but I also think it was very "up front" for Porsche to be pro active on the issue and not reactive after cars were failing on the side of the road. On the drive home I re-validated what a great vehicle the new Cayenne S is so much more refined and nimble than the 2008 GTS I had, which by the way I thought was great. A lengthy towing report will be forth coming, as I pick up the new Trailex enclosed in less than two weeks and bring it home to Texas.

On a separate issue the service manager was able to download a document from Porsche that states that the new Cayennes ARE compatible with LED trailer lighting systems.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On a separate issue the service manager was able to download a document from Porsche that states that the new Cayennes ARE compatible with LED trailer lighting systems.
Larry would have been proud. RIP.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Edit: Just heard from my salesman again. He says cars are now being shipped to his dealership whether the upgrade has been done or not. (maybe they read 993BillW's post and took his advice). Parts are being sent to the dealer as well and upgrade will be performed there. He's not entirely sure whether my car will arrive already upgraded or not but it should be here in the next few days.
Did yours need the upgrade? If it did, I don't think the upgrade elves worked their magic in the port or in transit. The part could not be sent to the port, with hopes that a longshoreman would install the upgrade. This must be done by the dealer/tech.

I don't understand why they didn't just flatbed these to the dealer in the first place.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Mike ... and others with new Cayennes

Got mine back from the dealer last evening and was told it took almost 5 hours. the actual installation of the new DME is straightforward but then all keys need to be re-programmed as well as uploading the large software bundle the controls everything. The tech said the software upload is cumbersome and time consuming. He then took the Cayenne on an extended test drive to make sure everything was as it should be. following that is was a detailed scan to check for code issues. I have put about 60 miles on it since I picked it up ( that's the trip home) and all seems well. Of course I was not having any problems with the old DME . The delay was frustrating with a trip coming up but I also think it was very "up front" for Porsche to be pro active on the issue and not reactive after cars were failing on the side of the road. On the drive home I re-validated what a great vehicle the new Cayenne S is so much more refined and nimble than the 2008 GTS I had, which by the way I thought was great. A lengthy towing report will be forth coming, as I pick up the new Trailex enclosed in less than two weeks and bring it home to Texas.

Did the installation erase any memory settings?

Quick Reply: Cayenne S stuck in Houston port!