Sponsored by:

Cayenne S stuck in Houston port!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Aperture776
Did the installation erase any memory settings?
I would be surprised if it did not.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Did yours need the upgrade? If it did, I don't think the upgrade elves worked their magic in the port or in transit. The part could not be sent to the port, with hopes that a longshoreman would install the upgrade. This must be done by the dealer/tech.

I don't understand why they didn't just flatbed these to the dealer in the first place.
Mine definitely does need the upgrade at least in the sense it's VIN is in the range of affected vehicles. I'd been told since my car arrived in San Diego on 3/25 that it would be held in port and the upgrade performed there. I believe the initial notice from PCNA that we saw posted confirms this. Most car manufacturers, including Porsche, maintain technicians at the port who install optional equipment, do repairs to vehicles damaged in transit, etc. So FWIW, whether cars actually got upgraded in port or not, it was at least theoretically possible to do so.

But my guess is that the volume of cars to be upgraded overwhelmed that system, slowing things down, and Porsche belatedly decided to push the cars and parts on to the dealer. As you point out, it's probably something they should have done in the first place.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Mine definitely does need the upgrade at least in the sense it's VIN is in the range of affected vehicles. I'd been told since my car arrived in San Diego on 3/25 that it would be held in port and the upgrade performed there. I believe the initial notice from PCNA that we saw posted confirms this. Most car manufacturers, including Porsche, maintain technicians at the port who install optional equipment, do repairs to vehicles damaged in transit, etc. So FWIW, whether cars actually got upgraded in port or not, it was at least theoretically possible to do so.

But my guess is that the volume of cars to be upgraded overwhelmed that system, slowing things down, and Porsche belatedly decided to push the cars and parts on to the dealer. As you point out, it's probably something they should have done in the first place.
Interesting. I admit I have never received a car. I would think they take the cars out for any rework/recall (e.g. Toyotas out to Torrance from Long Beach.)
Old 04-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

I suspect you are correct. I suspect with the amount of (computer) time this action entails they just don't have the connections available at the entry port without causing some serious backups.

IINM, BMW has a complete facility (in SC ?) that all their cars run through between arrival at the port and delivery to the dealer.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 PM
tvjayhawk
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Cayenne left Houston port today at long last. My dealer, however doesn't know if it has had the update yet or not, and doesn't know how to find out...more waiting, But it is on its way!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by tvjayhawk
My Cayenne left Houston port today at long last. My dealer, however doesn't know if it has had the update yet or not, and doesn't know how to find out...more waiting, But it is on its way!
I'm in exactly the same situation. I received an e-mail from my salesman this AM that my car has been released from port in San Diego and will be here next week. He said they had received the DME unit for another Cayenne that been released but not for mine which means either the unit is in transit or my car already has the update; he doesn't know which. But yes, it will be here soon!
Old 04-16-2011, 01:27 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Good to know that your pepper is on it's way Mike. I was thinking about your Cayenne last week and was wondering when it would hit your dealers lot. Can't wait to hear your initial impressions.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
jkenp
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My CS arrived in the Houston port on 4/7 and is still sitting there. Although my dealer is in Houston, they have absolutely no word as to the status. It does seem that all of the previous post are regarding Cayennes that were in port on 3/25.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
tvjayhawk
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkenp
My CS arrived in the Houston port on 4/7 and is still sitting there. Although my dealer is in Houston, they have absolutely no word as to the status. It does seem that all of the previous post are regarding Cayennes that were in port on 3/25.
My CS was a 3/25 arrival into Houston. It has not reached the dealer yet (we live in Kansas) but we were told that the DME was replaced at port.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 PM
jkenp
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does seem like the ones with the DME proplems arrived on 3/25. What is interesting is that the dealers are completely in the dark as to when a transport truck is scheduled to pick up their cars. I think the best they can do is see that the status is changed to "shiped". For Kansas, i guess that it would take about two days for the transport truck to get there. In my case the dealer is less than 20 miles away, so by the time Porsche has changed the status to "shiped" it should be at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Cayenne S stuck in Houston port!