Average wait times - custom order

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 PM
annieontheroad
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Average wait times - custom order

Hi -
Just curious: how long have you all had to wait for a custom order? Dealerships are giving me a 2-3 month projection on a fully loaded Cayenne Turbo but I'm a bit skeptical.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Are you skeptical because that seems too short an interval or too long? It's too short. I ordered the beginning of December, car was built mid-February, due in port this Friday with delivery to follow around the beginning of April. That's 4 months, which give or take a couple of weeks is pretty typical. With production slots even tighter now, you'll never get a custom order delivered in 2-3 months.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:15 PM
KS-CS
Racer

My dealer quoted a lead time of 120 days for ordering a Cayenne.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:23 PM
InHocSigno
Cruisin'

Mike is right, 2-3 months is not typical.
I ordered mine at the end of December. It was completed on March 9th and shipped on March 15th. It's on the vessel for 30 days.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...very-date.html

exact wait times from members.

build date is important, takes 3 days to build.. a week then to get to ship, and a month on the ship to your dealer....

so you need to base everything off the proposed build date.. and remember getting build date pushed back is usual.. i got bumped over a month on my build date.

quickest was 99 days from order, i think most was a little over 140 days from order..

ask your dealer what allocations they have and then if they have some open have them inquire on a suggested build date.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM
hrd
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

annieontheroad, dealers have Cayennes coming in on a regular basis, some already sold and some not. You may have found dealers who have allocations for turbos coming in that are not already spoken for and that are still open to modification by the customer. That would get you a turbo in less than the usual time.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by hrd
annieontheroad, dealers have Cayennes coming in on a regular basis, some already sold and some not. You may have found dealers who have allocations for turbos coming in that are not already spoken for and that are still open to modification by the customer.
Bear in mind, you cannot make any changes to the build that close to the build date so it would not be a true custom order.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by hrd
annieontheroad, dealers have Cayennes coming in on a regular basis, some already sold and some not. You may have found dealers who have allocations for turbos coming in that are not already spoken for and that are still open to modification by the customer. That would get you a turbo in less than the usual time.
Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Bear in mind, you cannot make any changes to the build that close to the build date so it would not be a true custom order.
w00tPORSCHE is correct. Once the car has been "Released to production department" or "Assigned a Production Number" which happens fairly early in the production process, changes in the order aren't possible. For this reason, it's very unlikely that a car already ordered by a dealership could be changed.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
w00tPORSCHE is correct. Once the car has been "Released to production department" or "Assigned a Production Number" which happens fairly early in the production process, changes in the order aren't possible. For this reason, it's very unlikely that a car already ordered by a dealership could be changed.
+1. Exactly what I experienced. Tried to make a change 6 weeks b4 production and was rejected by factory. It was even a very modest changes, like adding compass, and deleting ashtrays.

Quick Reply: Average wait times - custom order