Sponsored by:

Off Road in the Sand....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:13 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation Off Road in the Sand....

After reading this and feeling comfortable, i took her out today in NC (stopped for weekend before putting another 1k miles on the new Cayenne.)

previously decided to skip this and didn't buy my Recovery Kit Supplies.. but after seeing some large trucks in the area (H1's and lifted Jeeps) i felt i would be safe if i got stuck.... it's a state park known as Fort Fisher ( http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/fofi/main.php )... 6 miles of Beach... for 4x4 vehicles only... the rut's are about 1' deep but they get a lil rough in between the inland area and the ocean (over the dunes).... went about a mile out and parked and then came back (sketchiest part was swapping "tracks" when another car was oncoming using your "line"....) in offroad mode keeping rev's high and momentum at 15mph... it worked out however... (Tires @25psi)

-Riley
Old 03-20-2011, 01:22 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

forgot to note, lowered PSI 25 all around and went into Off Road Mode while stopped (parked, parking brake on)... when turning car back on the off road was off, reselected and got a "PSM Failure" message.... drove back... it stayed on... turned off Off Road Mode, still on.. on/off a few times.. 45 min wait for a ferry and on... then after driving over 50 for a while it went away... very odd (maybe sand on sensors?)

ferry was fun as well.....

Needless to say i gave it a good spray down with a pressure washer after everything.

Last edited by rijowysock; 03-20-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:28 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 210 Posts

How did the car handle in the sand? You sure aren't wasting any time getting good use outta the truck. Great shots!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:49 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by slwong23
How did the car handle in the sand? You sure aren't wasting any time getting good use outta the truck. Great shots!
it copes well but as far as "handling" its crap.. LOL. when you lock both diff's front and rear the car drives perfectly in the sand but of course with diff's locked the car goes straight even with wheel turned.... changing rut's to avoid other vehicles was tedious and required me to increase momentum to 20mph and then swap rut's putting us to around 7-8mph and then had to ease on gas back to 15mph to stay back on track.. hitting soft spots the truck slows down but your momentum puts you past it.... everything did well.. truck is too short for anything deeper than 1' as letting air out loses you 1.5" at least... i smoothed out the top of the crest with the bottom of the car and could hear the gas tank and other parts getting sanded along the way.. air suspension only add's 2" so i think the car needs more height to do anything 'impressive" as far as sand or deep rut's go.. the stock 255's are wide and were 2" wider at 25psi... the TPMS system yelled but shut up after being cleared which was nice....

overall the car was as capable as a rover but was obviously closer to the ground (not ideal)

if we wanna feel special we can say "yay cayenne!" but to be honest i saw a nissan Xterra out there... everything else was suburbans and hummers and jeeps however... everyone looked at me like i was retarded because i was in a Porsche.

sorry for bland video, too hectic in the deep stuff to take video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKjdUHkZJ8

you can see from the photo's the tire that was making contact because of low PSI... i really liked these tires in the sand.. never slipped once.. then again if you were basically 315mm wide x4 you wouldn't either.

Last edited by rijowysock; 03-20-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

They have a similar park near my house, but you need a permit to go on the beach. I just never bothered to get one, but every time I drive by I'm tempted.

More pics of girl, fewer of you.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 125 Posts

awesome pics! Hope to get mine on the beach this summer! Can't wait!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don;t think I could bring myslef to put the Cayenne on the beach (yet), but last summer we did rent this:
Attached Images     
Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Divot
They have a similar park near my house, but you need a permit to go on the beach. I just never bothered to get one, but every time I drive by I'm tempted.

More pics of girl, fewer of you.
you do here as well, you stop and they check the vehicle and give you a placard for the day or a year pass depending... i will say i left at first and then came back... it was about a mile in before i saw where someone else diverted over to the shore... so thats as far as i went... 7 more miles of questionable terrain was out of the question for me.... in hindsight i could have stayed on the shore driving down as it was MUCH more solid, as you can see from the depth of my tracks there (3"? versus 12-15")

more pics of girl on another post... lol.. all the other ones i have are her nude modeling shots... nothing thats rennlist friendly.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:39 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

more pics of girl on another post... lol.. all the other ones i have are her nude modeling shots... nothing thats rennlist friendly.

Riley, you two weren't doing a photoshoot at RL member points' place of business, by any chance?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait a second, isn't points located in Tampa?

He can dispel this unsubstantiated slander by posting a few tasteful "artsy" shots.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:55 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Riley, you two weren't doing a photoshoot at RL member points' place of business, by any chance?
not familiar with points, i have a studio at my loft for portraits and such.. but her shoots are from other photog's.. she never likes, scratch that, hates... the pictures i take and makes me delete em... these snuck thru the process.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:34 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Only the center diff locks, and the rear locks only if you have PTV on the '11's. The front is an open diff. I do wonder if hitting the rocker switch once, tells the transmission to start in first, mimicking a low-range gear, of sorts? On my '09, hit the rocker once to engage low-range, again to lock the center-diff, and the third time to lock the rear - which was actually a misnomer, as my GTS had no locking rear. The truck just like to "pretend"

Thank you for taking it off-road. It is always nice to see someone actually using their SUV as an SUV.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 860 Likes on 473 Posts

I took my Subaru Forrester down to a beach on the Outer Banks a few years ago. It effortless. The lightness of the Forrester was a huge plus: the people we were with were having some trouble with a 4x4 Blazer, while the Forrester just sort of 'surfed' on the softer sand.

I'm as much of a Porsche fan as anyone, but Subaru has set the bar for practical all-wheel drive.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

It all looked great until the last photo.... WTH was that all about?
Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree about the Subarus. I had similar experiences with my '98 Outback Sport at Pismo Beach, as it did so well it was oddly disconcerting. My '05 OB XT could climb steep grassy hills that my '03 Lexus GX 470could not, despite the Lexus's low-range and locking center diff.

Quick Reply: Off Road in the Sand....