Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering with a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW make sure you get the spare tire setup with the Trailex. The axles are not completely separate so if you get a flat the swing-arm system allows the hub to drop to the ground. It doesn't work with only one wheel on a side you have to have the second wheel. Don't forget to take along an appropriate jack and lug wrench just in case....mine is a nail magnet.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Leigh2,

Are you suggesting to have two spare tires with the Trailex?
Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Just one...but it's an important option when ordering. I bought mine used and it didn't have a spare. Fortunately when I picked up 3 nails in one tire it went flat in the driveway where I discovered that the flat drops to the ground rather than being supported by the other tire. I subsequently ordered the spare wheel and tire plus mount and I carry a can of tire sealant just in case.
I had incorrectly assumed that with two wheels per side if one went flat the other wheel would carry on as usual and you would still be able to limp the trailer to a repair facility.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:01 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
That is my understanding also. Dealer said no issue with LED trailer lights.

MOJOMS my Cayenne S is on the Athens Highway and when I checked maritime tracking this morning the ship had just posted their ETA to the Port of Houston as 00.30 AM on 9 March. I might have my Cayenne by that weekend. Now to get my open 8045 Trailex trailer sold so I can pick up the enclosed Trailex next month.

I am not sure many dealers know about trailer installations, hopefully yours does and has experience with the 11's. Mine does not. Which surprise me as they sell may trailer packages with the Cayenne. checked with two PCNA techs, (maybe Carl) and they advised NOT to get the LED's. They said it can be temperamental causing the an ! indication. I haven't ordered my trailer yet, as my '11 Cayenne will not be delivered for another two months.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2011 Cayenne Turbo

1.Tekonsha Wireless Brake Controller for the unquestionable win. So easy!
2. Going to need to do a camera solution as mirror extensions are horrible looking, shaky view, don't stick out far enough, terrible fit.
3. The CT pulls like a dream. 18mpg from Sacramento to Laguna Seca with an Aerovault hung on it's butt. Solid as a rock.
4. LED lights, no problem at all. Work fine. Very pretty! lol...
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
2011 Cayenne Turbo

1.Tekonsha Wireless Brake Controller for the unquestionable win. So easy!
2. Going to need to do a camera solution as mirror extensions are horrible looking, shaky view, don't stick out far enough, terrible fit.
3. The CT pulls like a dream. 18mpg from Sacramento to Laguna Seca with an Aerovault hung on it's butt. Solid as a rock.
4. LED lights, no problem at all. Work fine. Very pretty! lol...
Cayenne due into Houston tomorrow, I will look into the brake controller today. Now tell me about the camera concept, installation, brand etc. I assume you have it mounted on the trailer?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
2011 Cayenne Turbo
There has to be a solution with some inexpensive WiFi cameras and an iPad or laptop. I sure could use something for my 24' enclosed.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

ok experts ( and said in the right frame) is there a quality etc difference between the Tekonsha Prodegy and the Drawtite electric brake controllers?

also found a company called "4ucam" that sells a wireless rear camera with a 7" monitor screen. I believe it works via a 2.4 gig RF signal. So the question is what are you that use a wireless rear camera set up using?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:16 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

No one answered my question so I went to a trailer shop and asked the same question. No surprise I walked away with the Tekonsha. My reason is the Drawtite is all or nothing braking dependent only on the setting you have while the Tekonsha is proportional. That solved, now back to rear visibility. Again, talking with the gentleman at the trailer place, he stated that while the cameras were nice, they were battery powered and thus new batteries had to be installed every four hours or so. Comments and other solutions since most have said add on mirrors are not that good.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

It should be a simple exercise to pick up 12VDC at the rear of the trailer at the license plate lights.
There are several aftermarket cameras that mount on a license plate frame as well.

As for brake controllers, I just like my Drawtite ... delay and gain are more than adequate IMHO, but I am an analog guy anyways.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, check with your local law enforcement, in some states it is an offense to not have rear view mirrors visible to a police car following behind...at a certain distance, I can't remember, maybe 100' or so?

I am not sure just a camera would be legal.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Anyone heard of the Cipi towing mirrors. They are not large, appear to clamp on top and bottom and would allow vision to the rear. I'm going to call them this morning.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Anyone heard of the Cipi towing mirrors. They are not large, appear to clamp on top and bottom and would allow vision to the rear. I'm going to call them this morning.
Yes, they were discussed in this forum back in the "old days"
Old 03-10-2011, 10:54 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes, they were discussed in this forum back in the "old days"
.... and the trust of the discussion was? By the way They are spelled **** mirrors I was incorrect in my other post.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I ordered a pair of the mirrors and while well made for the price, they will not stay on the rather streamlined shape of the 2011 Cayenne side mirrors. The company is very nice and will take them back for full credit, BUT that puts me back to the rear visibility question when towing an enclosed trailer.

LTC you never answered my question on the conclusion reached for solving this issue on a prior thread thanks Jack

Quick Reply: Trailering with a Cayenne