Sponsored by:

Trailering with a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Trailering with a Cayenne

I'm about to get my new Cayenne S. I have towed my Trailex trailer around the country with my old Cayenne (2008 Cayenne GTS). I'm now considering an enclosed Trailex Trailer and am looking for comments from those that have towed and enclosed trailer with their Cayenne. Have you added mirror extensions, has the Cayenne pulled the extra weight of the enclosed trailer well. Especially for those with 2011 Cayennes, how difficult was it to wire for trailer brakes? I am getting the trailer towing option with my truck. Thanks and looking forward to comments.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 PM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been towing an enclosed Featherlight trailer for about 2 yrs. with my 04 CTT. Other than fuel mileage plummeting to the 7-9 mpg, it tows fine. A little sensitive to wind buffeting during bad weather, but otherwise great. I did have to use uugly mirror extensions that I found at wally world to be able to see behind. The Featherlite is a rounded V-nose, but not as light as the Trailex and it is a bit taller I think. You should be fine, and can use a weight distributing/sway control hitch to help. The later Cayennes require a different brake controller if you are going with electric brakes. Not sure yet what will work. My new Cayenne is on the Queen Ace which hasn't checked in in 10 days!

It should have been in Davisville on the 24th I think. Happy trailering.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mojom3
I have been towing an enclosed Featherlight trailer for about 2 yrs. with my 04 CTT. Other than fuel mileage plummeting to the 7-9 mpg, it tows fine. A little sensitive to wind buffeting during bad weather, but otherwise great. I did have to use uugly mirror extensions that I found at wally world to be able to see behind. The Featherlite is a rounded V-nose, but not as light as the Trailex and it is a bit taller I think. You should be fine, and can use a weight distributing/sway control hitch to help. The later Cayennes require a different brake controller if you are going with electric brakes. Not sure yet what will work. My new Cayenne is on the Queen Ace which hasn't checked in in 10 days!

Thanks, mine is on the Athens Hiway and is due in Houston on the 9th, been a long wait. I'm going to talk to the service manager at our local dealer tomorrow about electric brake hook ups. I get nervous parking the open trailer with the SC on it at motels when we travel so the reason for considering a enclosed trailer. I've been so happy with the Trailex that is the brand I'm considering, plus they make a special lower sports car enclosed trailer. I plan to also talk more with trailex tomorrow. No decisions yet.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:33 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My S is on order for delivery in two months. From what I read and researched, you need three components to tow a trailer. Others may want to clarify what they did too.

1) Even with a towing package, Porsche does not provide the adapter plug for the back of the hitch to the trailer. So that needs to be purchased, and is easy to install.

2) You (we) will need a Prodigy brake controller for the electric brakes. Allows specific adjustment to trailer braking under extreme conditions.

3) LED Controller. It is a connect that has inline resistors that bypass the factory trailer monitoring system, thus allowing trailers with LED lights to be used. Otherwise, there will be an ! displayed on dash.

Congratulations and wish you lots of enjoyment with your new CS!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, I'm towing a boat, not an enclosed trailer, but the problem is the same..
When moving, you really see nothing else than something big and white tailgating you.
I had a pair of mirror extension, but, they tend to make the whole mirrors flapping in all the time, and got crazy with that.
The REAL solution is a rear camera.
I started with a suction cup mounted camera, with a long wire that carry video signal and power signal, going into the car underneath the rear window (lifting it, and then closing it ..over the cable).
(Connected to a video screen fixed on the center top mirror, that is anyway blind when the boat is on the back.
A great progress, at least you have an idea about what's is going on the way back there.
But the wires were the pain.
I end up drilling a hole in the rear of the boat, fixing a camera, wiring it permanently inside the boat, to the inside dashboard, and from there, a wifi video transmitter.
Now, the same video display (attached on the mirror when towing, is feed by the wifi receiver, usually standing somewhere in the rear seat, and powered by the rear 12v connector. This is the way to go.
It mounts and dismounts in the car in less than a minute, and in the boat, (or in any trailer), you just toggle on the camera and emitter.)
A little bit of eBay searches, and you will get plenty of choice.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. The Trailex I have is the 8045 a great open trailer and if I get an enclosed it will be the Trailex 80180 sports car enclosed. It is only 4'9" interior height so you can't stand inside BUT that also means a lower overall trailer so not as much frontal area on the highway. It is also a very light enclosed trailer and I can feel better knowing that the Sc is out of sight and the weather when traveling and the extra tires likewise. I will be towing to Parade with whichever one I have at the time. Don't think I will have a problem selling the 8045 which is like new as it is always stored inside and Texas climate is friendly to metal especially Alum.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

The rear visibility issue bothers me more than anything else. It appears the OEM mirrors on the new Cayenne are actually smaller than the ones on our '08. Towing the Trailex open trailer was not an issue as you could see around the car. Not even sure if convex mirror add on to the OEM mirrors is the answer. Comments from those that tow enclosed.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:17 AM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Lightbulb

I am worried about that also, but I am considering the rear view camera for the enclosed trailer, in addition to mirror extensions. I am even considering putting one inside the trailer to be able to check things while on the move. The camera I hooked up to the 04 Cayenne was about a hundred bucks with a wireless transmitter system. Might have to put three way toggle switch to go from off/camera1/camera2 if the transmitter will send that far from the trailer to the drivers position. Any thoughts? Also just got notification that the Queen Ace is nearing Davisville port,finally.
Anyone know of the other ports it goes before Houston? Also for f4 plt ? The Athens Highway is headed for Halifax. Shouldn't be too much longer before they hit Houston.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used some aftermarket mirrors that had a strap - when wet the strap made a wicked sound and was a real pain in the butt...

On both my auto hauler, motorcycle trailer & when towing the 25FB Classic Airstream - just used the side mirrors - granted the '05 Cayenne S & Touareg TDI had bigger mirrors than the current models.

BTW - Respect the tongue weight!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 02:58 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

My new Cayenne is on the Queen Ace which hasn't checked in in 10 days!

i think mine might be on the same boat, had no firm updates in forever.... dealer keeps playing the "it should be in next week" game..

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/dat...MMSI=355861000

looks like Queen Ace arrived in Davisville on 1st and left 39 minutes ago... i'm calling my sales guy tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 AM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Houston arrival scheduled for Mar. 9th according to last update.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:22 PM
613Porsche
Advanced

Great post, the trailer I have has LED lighting as well. Where do I find the LED controller with the inline resistors?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

It is my understanding that since about 2008 the Cayenne was fitted with a different system that will accept LED trailer lights with no problems. YMMV
Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

It is my understanding that since about 2008 the Cayenne was fitted with a different system that will accept LED trailer lights with no problems. YMMV
That is my understanding also. Dealer said no issue with LED trailer lights.

MOJOMS my Cayenne S is on the Athens Highway and when I checked maritime tracking this morning the ship had just posted their ETA to the Port of Houston as 00.30 AM on 9 March. I might have my Cayenne by that weekend. Now to get my open 8045 Trailex trailer sold so I can pick up the enclosed Trailex next month.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Athens Highway and Queen Ace hit Houston on the same day! Wonder who will get to berth first, maybe a race up the channel.

Quick Reply: Trailering with a Cayenne