Sponsored by:

Trailering with a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

JFSCheck wrote:
I used some aftermarket mirrors that had a strap - when wet the strap made a wicked sound and was a real pain in the butt...
That's also the mirrors that I had used, ..but did not had this specific problem. Mine was worst: When driving against the wind (..or a bit fast !!!) then, the mirrors would flap in "parking position", (i.e.: 90° rear). So, I had to slow down, open the window (if the one of the driver side would do that) and push it back on position.
This was also the pain..
Old 03-04-2011, 07:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mojom3
It is my understanding that since about 2008 the Cayenne was fitted with a different system that will accept LED trailer lights with no problems. YMMV
You're welcome.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mojom3
Athens Highway and Queen Ace hit Houston on the same day! Wonder who will get to berth first, maybe a race up the channel.
Just checked "Maritime Tracking" and the Athens Highway (with my Cayenne S) is scheduled for the Port of Houston at 30 minutes after midnight on the morning of the 9th. The Queen Ace is scheduled to arrive 18 hours later ie late afternoon on the 9th ... that's next Weds for both of us and some other happy Porsche buyers.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM
mojom3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Lewis. I found the original thread and remembered you seanced L!rry to get the answer. I couldn't figure out how to quote your answer in the new post. More cowbells to you,sir.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:00 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Just checked "Maritime Tracking" and the Athens Highway (with my Cayenne S) is scheduled for the Port of Houston at 30 minutes after midnight on the morning of the 9th. The Queen Ace is scheduled to arrive 18 hours later ie late afternoon on the 9th ... that's next Weds for both of us and some other happy Porsche buyers.
My Cayenne S is also on the Athens Highway. By the way, the time that is quoted by Marinetraffic.com is GMT, so 12:30 AM GMT on the 9th is 6:30 PM CST on the 8th.

Having said that, Marinetraffic.com had the Athens Highway arriving in Halifax (its previous destination prior to heading to Houston) at 1:00 AM GMT on 2/28, and it didn't show up until 3/02. Also, I had my dealer check the internal Porsche site yesterday, and it is now showing 3/11 for the Athens Highway to hit Houston.

I certainly hope Marinetraffic.com is right because that would still give us a shot at getting our vehicles by next weekend.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Yes I know its GMT or what we use to call Zulu time and now is UTC ( Universal Time coordinated) Whoppie

My dealers latest from Porsche is the 11th but the last reporting by the ship was 00.30 09 March 2011 ... kind of trust the Captain and Navigator more than the Porsche bean counters and I hope I'm right, bee a long wait.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used my Benz ML320 diesel to tow an enclosed Trailex. The enclosed trailex's won't accept equalizer bars and you have to watch the hitch weight. I used mirror extensions that strapped on with rubber straps and gave some rear visibility; not great and sometimes the mirrors came loose. I did have to use the cable adapter to get the LED trailer lights to work properly. Without it they flashed continuously. Once underway the towing isn't that bad even in high winds; better than expected probably due to the lower profile of the trailer. Getting the brake controller installed took two dealerships and a hitch shop to finally get it right...
Old 03-04-2011, 04:48 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr0317
My Cayenne S is also on the Athens Highway. By the way, the time that is quoted by Marinetraffic.com is GMT, so 12:30 AM GMT on the 9th is 6:30 PM CST on the 8th.

Having said that, Marinetraffic.com had the Athens Highway arriving in Halifax (its previous destination prior to heading to Houston) at 1:00 AM GMT on 2/28, and it didn't show up until 3/02. Also, I had my dealer check the internal Porsche site yesterday, and it is now showing 3/11 for the Athens Highway to hit Houston.

I certainly hope Marinetraffic.com is right because that would still give us a shot at getting our vehicles by next weekend.
everything seem a little behind but its due to delays at Emden, i found a website where photographers take pictures of the vessels in Emden, the "Queen Ace" was scheduled to leave on 9th but did not until 12/13th.. which means the Athens Highway was then delayed as well.. Athens hit Halifax while Queen was in Davisville... then both to houston (further from halifax)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I have used my Benz ML320 diesel to tow an enclosed Trailex. The enclosed trailex's won't accept equalizer bars and you have to watch the hitch weight. I used mirror extensions that strapped on with rubber straps and gave some rear visibility; not great and sometimes the mirrors came loose. I did have to use the cable adapter to get the LED trailer lights to work properly. Without it they flashed continuously. Once underway the towing isn't that bad even in high winds; better than expected probably due to the lower profile of the trailer. Getting the brake controller installed took two dealerships and a hitch shop to finally get it right...
Was that on the Benz? If so, what is it with Germans and trailering?
Old 03-04-2011, 11:53 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Yes I know its GMT or what we use to call Zulu time and now is UTC ( Universal Time coordinated) Whoppie

My dealers latest from Porsche is the 11th but the last reporting by the ship was 00.30 09 March 2011 ... kind of trust the Captain and Navigator more than the Porsche bean counters and I hope I'm right, bee a long wait.
I certainly wasn't trying to imply that you didn't understand time zones. It wasn't apparent to me on first looking at Marinetraffic.com that the times were Coordinated Universal Time. I was just trying to alert everyone reading this thread about what I finally figured out about the times displayed.

I did not mean any offense.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:25 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jfr0317
I certainly wasn't trying to imply that you didn't understand time zones. It wasn't apparent to me on first looking at Marinetraffic.com that the times were Coordinated Universal Time. I was just trying to alert everyone reading this thread about what I finally figured out about the times displayed.

I did not mean any offense.
Don't worry, no problem. Been a Ham radio operator for over 54 years and a pilot for over 45 ( both use GMT as the standard) and still every once in a while I have to stop and think.... and that is getting harder and harder with each birthday.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:28 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

My dealer says he has it all figured out, guess I need to go buy a controller and I understand simple is best, any suggestions. Carl at Trailex keeps the couplers in stock just in case your vehicle is not compatible with LED lights. Lastly the enclosed trailex I'm getting is the sports car model which has a lower profile. Its roof line is not that far above the top of the Cayenne. Now i just need to sell my Trailex 8045
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

I use a Prodigy brake controller and it works quite well. It's easy to adjust the amount of brake and the read out is easy to see. The first dealer I went to didn't have a clue how to install it and contracted the work out to a hitch shop who screwed it up completely; the second dealer knew what to do thankfully.
I have a standard height 80180 which I figure is close to 6000 lbs loaded and the diesel tows at 70 MPH quite easily.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

I use a Prodigy brake controller and it works quite well. It's easy to adjust the amount of brake and the read out is easy to see. The first dealer I went to didn't have a clue how to install it and contracted the work out to a hitch shop who screwed it up completely; the second dealer knew what to do thankfully.
I have a standard height 80180 which I figure is close to 6000 lbs loaded and the diesel tows at 70 MPH quite easily.
Thanks for the comments. Mine will also be a standard (low) 80180 and I will be pulling it with a 2011 Cayenne S. Again my biggest concern is rear visibility as they reduced the size of the outside mirrors on the new Cayennes compared to my 2008 GTS. I plan to add convex mirror inserts to the far outside portion of the standard mirrors. Never towed a large box trailer and I'm picking this up at Trailex next month and towing it home to Texas and then to Parade this summer.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

I use these mirror extensions:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

They work OK and are easy to install and don't damage the mirrors. The only problem I have had is with the Benz mirror coming loose with the added wind drag. The fix is to fold the mirror all the way in then move it out again and that resets the break-away system. I see that there are some better ones available now that might stick out a bit farther and with better attachment methods.
They allow you to just barely see behind the trailer. Not great on the passenger side with an immense blind spot...but way better than without. A convex lens on the stock mirror won't be adequate.

Quick Reply: Trailering with a Cayenne