Sponsored by:

Porsche prepaid maintenance plan

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Porsche prepaid maintenance plan

As many of you know that this is the first time ever Porsche is offering prepaid maintenance program. In Oregon (no sales tax) I was quoted $2600.00 for a total of five years of maintenance.
Two questions for all of you:

1) What was your 5 yr quote ?
2) How many here are going for it ?
Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

I just called the local dealer (only 1 dealer in Vegas), and it's the same- 5 yrs/50k miles for $2,600, no tax. 4y/40k was $1,950, and 3y/30k was $1,250. Transferable to any authorized Porsche service center, covers all scheduled maintenance within the timeframe/mileage.

Hmm, definitely something to think about, as I'm not sure what to expect for maintenance cost.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

And BMW it's free for 4 yrs
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does this also cover brake maintenance?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:28 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm,,,, could you please provide the list of maintenance items covered by this program?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:28 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If it covers brakes/rotors then it will pay for itself at the end of 4 years or so depending on miles driven. Otherwise my experience has been these cars just require routine (not expensive) service in the their early years, base on my 911 experiences.... I would pass...GR
Old 02-23-2011, 10:53 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Here you go: This is what is covered. Again as slwong23 mentioned these are the prices: 5 yrs/50k miles for $2,600, no tax. 4y/40k was $1,950, and 3y/30k was $1,250. Transferable to any authorized Porsche service center. For someone who drives less than 12,000 miles a yr do you think it is worth it to go for the 5 yr program ( I plan to keep the vehicle for atleast 7years) or would it be cheaper to just pay as you go. It would be great to get the input of previous gen Cayenne owners. I am thinking not worth it ... any help would be appreciated. Riley, Mike in CA, pops, Rome, Craig et al I need your help here.
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:29 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
As many of you know that this is the first time ever Porsche is offering prepaid maintenance program. In Oregon (no sales tax) I was quoted $2600.00 for a total of five years of maintenance.
Two questions for all of you:

1) What was your 5 yr quote ?
2) How many here are going for it ?
did this deal on a previous car (love when they get you in that back room and start trying to add stuff to the deal, i paid like $1200 extra for 3 years on a Honda S2000) and for me it was a bad idea... nothing i wanted to do was covered because they went strictly by the miles for "normal" conditions.. and since i am in florida and do my service based on the chart for extreme climates they wouldn't do anything till the chart above shows that you have.. i did like 1 oil change and i think a diff fluid flush (had to supply fluid or be charged for it) and the engine blew up because a bent valve and i sold the car...(13 months into ownership).. so basically i got one really really expensive oil change and diff flush.

side note: why do you plan on keeping the car for 7 years?... as some might have noticed i am a HARDCORE analytical person and analyzing cost/maintenance/interest/resale... it never makes financial sense for me to keep a car longer than ~1 year.... and it also makes it nice to get a new car every year as well.. (downsides: waiting for a damn custom order to come in) but as far as my logic is concerned... i negotiate on what i want and get a good price, keep for a year, the market still shows demand, no out of pocket on maintenance, and buy outright so no interest.... demand still wants the "new" car and you sell it for slightly less than you paid and roll the sales tax into the next one... so over 1 year you lose a couple thousand versus 20-30-40k over 3+ years.. just my personal thought... I'm only 25 but i've had 7 cars, Cayenne will be 8 and only got screwed on my first one (leased at 16, turned it into a purchase because of miles... and just got screwed left right and upsidedown)

just saw your list above, seems like a decent deal IF YOU KEEP THE CAR 7 years, i personally have never kept a car more than a year so i usually do 1 oil change if that and done.

Originally Posted by slwong23
I just called the local dealer (only 1 dealer in Vegas), and it's the same- 5 yrs/50k miles for $2,600, no tax. 4y/40k was $1,950, and 3y/30k was $1,250. Transferable to any authorized Porsche service center, covers all scheduled maintenance within the timeframe/mileage.

Hmm, definitely something to think about, as I'm not sure what to expect for maintenance cost.
the smaller years seem like a good deal as well..

Originally Posted by GR997S
If it covers brakes/rotors then it will pay for itself at the end of 4 years or so depending on miles driven. Otherwise my experience has been these cars just require routine (not expensive) service in the their early years, base on my 911 experiences.... I would pass...GR
from what i recall from when i did this on past vehicle, it only covers SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE, listed above... so if you drive a lot you cant get rotor's changed out and such as thats a wear item.. you can get a brake flush however once a year... so broken stuff is covered under warranty, but wear items are not covered... so its only scheduled stuff the owner is supposed to do anyway..

bmw started doing this so that their leases would come back properly maintained.

if you look at the chart above pleas everyone note that the only real work they are doing is:

Oil change once a year
Brake Fluid every other year
replace air filter every other year
replace tire sealant @ 4 years
replace spark plugs @ 4 years

EVERYTHING ELSE is simply visual inspection and then you foot the bill for repair.

Last edited by rijowysock; 02-24-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
If you look at the chart above pleas everyone note that the only real work they are doing is:

Oil change once a year
Brake Fluid every other year
replace air filter every other year
replace tire sealant @ 4 years
replace spark plugs @ 4 years

EVERYTHING ELSE is simply visual inspection and then you foot the bill for repair.
You took the words right out of my mouth Rij. Too much of "Check this and check that" but very little of "Replace this and replace that".
Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a good way for the dealers to make a few $$.

So this payment must go to Porsche - who then pays whatever dealer does the service? I guess the selling dealer gets a cut.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
...it never makes financial sense for me to keep a car longer than ~1 year.... and it also makes it nice to get a new car every year as well.. (downsides: waiting for a damn custom order to come in) but as far as my logic is concerned... i negotiate on what i want and get a good price, keep for a year, the market still shows demand, no out of pocket on maintenance, and buy outright so no interest....
How does this work? How did you get a clear car in the first place without paying one off? Otherwise, even if you have a few thousand at hand, you're going to owe close to what the car you're trading is worth (assuming you're not upside down after only a year).

Originally Posted by Andy E.
You took the words right out of my mouth Rij. Too much of "Check this and check that" but very little of "Replace this and replace that".
Originally Posted by yeldogt
Looks like a good way for the dealers to make a few $$.
Yeah, this occurred to me as well: all they're doing is looking at stuff; you're still holding the bag on repairs. If it wasn't a money-maker for Porsche, they wouldn't offer it. I think you'd be better off putting the cash into a savings account and drawing as necessary. At least that way you'll make a little interest.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

I totally concur ... too much checking this/that. It is ridiculous IMO to spend that much $$ for what you get in return. Thank you for all the input. I am going to pass on that. For those interested please be aware that you only have 6 months from the time of vehicle purchase to buy the pre-paid maintenance plan. Riley, I tip my hat to you. Don't know how one could swap cars every yr without losing money ... but obviously you have been doing it with great success.

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 02-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

W00t, I'm late with my 0.2c, but I visit the dealer for warranty items only. I have an amazing mechanic and like to do oil at 5k intervals. So, no prepaid maintenance plan for me.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

on the other hand...
where I live the dealers have charged $780 per year(on my '08) for the yearly maintenance service, which, besides an oil change involves just a bunch of checking this and that. looks similar to the 20k mile items checked on the posted list.
oil change alone is about $250.
assuming this deal doesn't include the cost of oil, filters, brake fluid etc-let's say those items range from $120 to $250,
my local dealers are charging me around $550 to check this and that and put a stamp in the book to prove I've followed the proper maintenance schedule.
seems like you are just getting the chance to lock in the current labor rate at the opportunity cost of giving up that capital.
so, if you can earn a greater rate of return than your expected rate of inflation on labor, the plan isn't worth it.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 PM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
+2

Quick Reply: Porsche prepaid maintenance plan