Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thread about my bypass pipes got deleted WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 AM
quattrotman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My thread about my bypass pipes got deleted WTF!?

It appears that writing a review about a product from a non-sponsor of Rennlist is a big no-no. I had posted a review of my new bypass pipes from Leistung Motorsports to share some info, let you all know about a good product and a good deal and apparantly the moderators felt that was unacceptable and deleted my thread. I always thought that this was a forum to share info, ideas and to help a fellow car enthusiast out but I guess I was mistaken. I'm not really sure why it was deleted because I was not selling anything nor am I affiliated with the company. All I was honestly trying to do was let you all know that there is a quality alternative to the higher priced bypass pipes that are so popular with us pepper owners. I think that is lame...I guess I get banned now for writing this thread??
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Rather than wonder aloud, I would suggest sending a PM to the forum Moderator and asking him for information.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:47 AM
lnferno
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
Rather than wonder aloud, I would suggest sending a PM to the forum Moderator and asking him for information.
I, for one, would like to see the response in here. I'm a mod on another site and just deleting a thread without letting the OP know why is a big no-no in my book.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

If the discussion were via PM, you would not see the response or discussion posted in public, as that would be a violation of the rules regarding PMs.

If in doubt, always PM the Moderator.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 876 Likes on 538 Posts

I have to agree that this situation sounds kind of lame. I did not read the referenced post, however assuming that the OP wasn't looking to sell anything and has no affiliation, what's wrong with a product review?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Before everyone gets their boxers in a bunch, the OP should simply send a PM to the forum Moderator and inquire about the post the reasons behind the deletion. Unlike me, your forum Moderator is a gentleman.

I usually spend my day just deleting RL posts purely at random...just because.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM
quattrotman
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
Before everyone gets their boxers in a bunch, the OP should simply send a PM to the forum Moderator and inquire about the post the reasons behind the deletion. Unlike me, your forum Moderator is a gentleman.

I usually spend my day just deleting RL posts purely at random...just because.
The first thing I did was send a PM to inquire but I've gotten no response. I too, am a gentleman
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I am sure the Moderator will respond to you soon.
Please realize that he is an unpaid volunteer who probably has a day job.

Me, this IS my life and my job ...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:10 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 PM
lnferno
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
If the discussion were via PM, you would not see the response or discussion posted in public, as that would be a violation of the rules regarding PMs.

If in doubt, always PM the Moderator.
I didn't suggest that the OP or Mod post private PMs. What I'm suggesting is that if a mod deletes a post, that the mod provide a proper reply to the OPs question in this thread. If the mod didn't proactively send a PM to the OP after the thread was deleted, I don't think that the OPs request is unreasonable. Again, being a mod on another site, I don't like taking that type of action without sending a message to the OP fully explaining why a thread was deleted. I guess you can take the stance that it is the mods/admins right to do so and they don't have to offer up any explanation, but I don't think that approach will be well received as evidenced by this thread.

If this is essentially the same thread that the OP posted on another site which will remain nameless, I didn't see anything wrong with the content at all. Now, if the mods disagree and they obviously have the final say, I would appreciate knowing why the OPs thread was deleted as well so I and others will have a better understanding of what content is or is not allowed.

I greatly appreciate the types of reviews such as the one the OP made (that got deleted) -- it provides a wealth of information, real-life experiences, and non-sponsored/unbiased feedback.

With all of that said, I know there are always three sides to every story. Side A, Side B, and then the truth. To the OP and/or Mod that deleted the thread, if there's any pertinent details that we aren't aware of, then that may be a different story.

My big thing is fairness on these types of boards. The nice thing about public boards like this is that is promotes accountability across the board. That accountability goes for everyone (registered users, mods, and sponsors).
Old 02-11-2011, 12:15 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Why should the site rename nameless? Here's the link to the thread, I don't see anything wrong with discussing here why it got removed:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...es-review.html
Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 PM
lnferno
Advanced

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Why should the site rename nameless? Here's the link to the thread, I don't see anything wrong with discussing here why it got removed:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...es-review.html
I didn't want to post it for fear of a mod deciding it should be deleted
Old 02-11-2011, 12:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by lnferno
I didn't suggest that the OP or Mod post private PMs. What I'm suggesting is that if a mod deletes a post, that the mod provide a proper reply to the OPs question in this thread. If the mod didn't proactively send a PM to the OP after the thread was deleted, I don't think that the OPs request is unreasonable. Again, being a mod on another site, I don't like taking that type of action without sending a message to the OP fully explaining why a thread was deleted. I guess you can take the stance that it is the mods/admins right to do so and they don't have to offer up any explanation, but I don't think that approach will be well received as evidenced by this thread.

If this is essentially the same thread that the OP posted on another site which will remain nameless, I didn't see anything wrong with the content at all. Now, if the mods disagree and they obviously have the final say, I would appreciate knowing why the OPs thread was deleted as well so I and others will have a better understanding of what content is or is not allowed.

I greatly appreciate the types of reviews such as the one the OP made (that got deleted) -- it provides a wealth of information, real-life experiences, and non-sponsored/unbiased feedback.

With all of that said, I know there are always three sides to every story. Side A, Side B, and then the truth. To the OP and/or Mod that deleted the thread, if there's any pertinent details that we aren't aware of, then that may be a different story.

My big thing is fairness on these types of boards. The nice thing about public boards like this is that is promotes accountability across the board. That accountability goes for everyone (registered users, mods, and sponsors).
Excellent post, eloquent and to the point.
Please allow me to reply on behalf of Larry, who can't be here with us today:

Rome didn't build an empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them

P.S. Please don't use the terms "democracy, first amendment or freedom of speech" in any subsequent replies ...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Now I get it. Rome removed the thread in question
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Me, this IS my life and my job ...
So that's how you afford the fancy wardrobe. I thought "I'm a RL mod" only worked on women.

Quick Reply: My thread about my bypass pipes got deleted WTF!?