Sponsored by:

Need Help with CTT back rubber coolant T hose

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011 | 04:09 AM
Loutorious
Track Day

Default Need Help with CTT back rubber coolant T hose

So here is another coolant pipe thread.

I was hoping to do a preemptive strike when the weather gets warmer, but as always nothing ever goes according to plan. The stupid lower pipe broke on my way home during snow storm. I got stuck about 1/5 miles from home. Guess I was lucky since I was able to get coolant from home, fill and drove home within 1 minute time. Can't believe that 2 inches slit (I can barely see) on that evil lower plastic tube would drain the coolant out that quickly, guess when high pressure the coolant will gush out.

Anyway, I already took everything apart and waiting to put back the new aluminum pipes. I have to add that this job was way difficult for the average car guy. I changed my brakes, rotors, air suspension on a Jag and even power steering stuffs on an Audi, but this job was way more difficult. It was not complex, just hard to work with very little room and stubborn parts. If I knew exactly what I was getting into I would have just towed it to the dealer. The plastic venting tubes were like week old cookies, super brittle. I don't think is possible to not crack the venting tubes that needed to be removed. The tube to the back of the intake manifold was also a nightmare to remove. I think thats the tube from the brake booster or something. It was suppose to be squeeze and tube will release, but that part was brittle also it didn't release. Took me a good 30 minutes yanking that out. There were other snafu that almost made me give up but I will detail it later with pictures.

My question is about the 2 rubber hose in the back (for the CTT), how the hell do you change those? There is just no room to get my hands in there or even able to see the whole connections hidden behind. I was thinking since I am here might as well do these too, but It doesn't seem like is possible. If someone has done it and has good advise I would be greatly appreciated. Very disappointing if I can't change these stupid hoses, so close but yet so far...

Thanks in advance, Lou
Old 01-30-2011 | 01:26 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Well said on most of those points.

So are you talking about the hoses that attach to the three pipes in your newly replaced aluminum manifold? I know the right pipe connects to the infamouse tee-connector. That one is a pain. Or the other two?
Old 01-30-2011 | 10:40 PM
Loutorious
Track Day

It is the right one of the 3 connected to the T. I can see the T hiding there but just don't see how is it possible to change it unless the motor is out. There is just not enough room to work. I can barely fit 1 hand in there. There is another hose back there that is suppose to be changed also, but I think is also hidden back there somewhere.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2011 | 02:22 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Okay, you are talking about the infamous tee connector. It can be done... but it is challenging.

Here's the exec. summary: you have to take the clamps off the tee obviously, but even then, it is as if it is glued on. So I literally had to slice it off with a blade, and that was completely blind and at an awkward angle. The slices were literally along the length of the lower section of this tee, below the actual t. I sliced maybe a three-inch incision, and even then i had to douse it in something like WD40 and pry pieces off with a wide-blade flathead. If you can get that lower piece off, you are home free.

I keep meaning to take pictures one of these days - I saved the tee and corresponding cracked coolant line that feeds into it as a trophy for several hours of intense hard work.
Old 01-31-2011 | 02:25 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Oh, and this may not have been obvious, but you need a spring-loaded hose clamp device - the kind with a long cable that extends about 18" so that you can place it on the clamp, then remotely activate it where there is more room.

Here is the one I used:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1
Old 01-31-2011 | 06:31 PM
joes95rx7
Advanced

So when I changed my pipes I wasn't up to speed on changing the "Tee". So this is something I'll put on my list of things to do. My question is, when you replace the tee do you also change the hose to and from the tee? Where do they go, the turbos?

I was thinking, if you change the hoses and tee, would it be possible to build it as an assembly (tee and hoses connected up and clamped) then fish it into place behind the engine? This would be much easier than trying to work behind the engine I would think.

Another related question, has anyone had a hose fail?
Old 02-10-2011 | 12:10 AM
joes95rx7
Advanced

bump
Old 02-10-2011 | 03:53 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I've never heard anyone say to change the other hoses - only that the tees fail. Mine showed a bunch of crusty residue once off.

Interesting idea on the pre-assembly. But it's a tee, so you'd have to have both sides pre-built. No clue where it goes from that right upper coolant pipe. I imagine the Turbos have to be involved, since it's a Turbo-only tee issue.
Old 02-10-2011 | 04:24 PM
JKCTT
Track Day

I changed my pipes after failure and now I am back in changing the "T pipe/heater hose". The mechanic asked while we are in there do you ant us to change all of the hoses and I said yes.... Because I dont want to go in there again a third time. I bet this is excessive but why not???
Old 02-10-2011 | 04:28 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Just posted some pics:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ml#post8288895
Old 02-10-2011 | 07:55 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

The part numbers for the Turbo T piece hoses are: 955 106 323 50 and 948 106 035 51.

They are identified as "water hose" in the PET manual.

Last edited by bigbuzuki; 08-08-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help with CTT back rubber coolant T hose