Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant pipes A-Z.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My warranty is up this weekend and I was told I have a slow "leak" at the back of the engine from one of the T's. I'm hoping to get it covered but I've been told they don't cover "rubber" items. Anybody have luck getting the T's replaced? I'm concerned the pipes aren't too far behind and I'll be out a ton of money to have them replaced...
Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Mark Brillo
Instructor

so how do we participate??? we are gathering members to sign-up from another forum/site (can I mention that here? - sorry admins, delete if necessary).. we are also encouraging members that didn't have this problem yet but are willing to participate (955 owners) since, as we all know.. it's a matter of time that the plastic pipes will fail..
Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
dmcintosh
8th Gear

If you want to particpate in the class action suite contact my lawyer. Here is the contact info. They will take your info and take it from there. Thats about all you need to do right now:

Jeanne M. Christensen, Esq.
Schlanger & Schlanger, LLP
Main Phone: 1-800-685-2580 | Email: jeanne@schlangerlegal.com
www.NewYorkConsumerProtection.com
Westchester Office:
1025 Westchester Ave., Ste. 108
White Plains, NY 10604
Fax: 914.946.2930 Manhattan Office:
100 Church St., 8th Floor
New York, NY 10007
Fax: 212.500.6114
Old 01-26-2011, 01:09 PM
dmcintosh
8th Gear

http://cayenneclassaction.com/
Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding pics re: the tee-connectors behind and below the right-most pipe in the three-piece aluminum manifold. For Turbos:

(#1) Top pic is approximate placement and angle of what you're dealing with, which you cannot see and can barely feel. Yes, I kept my cracked coolant pipe for posterity's sake;

(#2) Closeup of metal compression bands showing leaked coolant. These bands are why you have to replace the entire tee;

(#3) Slices with razor blade, to try to get enough play so I could pry off; you can still see indentions from hose-clamps at end, in v-shape;

(#4) Closeup of razor work, including my misses above main slice;

(#5) My blind handiwork with a flat-head screwdriver; razor incision is at bottom; I think the blood must have washed off;
Attached Images      
Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Are you replacing those tees with exactly the same thing? Therefore, you're just buying more time, but not really eliminating the problem?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Cayenneonline
1st Gear

I think you can some really low prices of that piece at http://www.cayenneparts.com

Let me know if you find it.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 PM
TorontoCorrado
3rd Gear

I just replaced my "T" and tubes today. Talk about a PITA! after removing the intake man. there really isn't much space back there. My arms/hands are now totally cut and bruised + swollen.
Unfortunately, the dealer only offers the same T in plastic with tubes as a replacement which kinda sucks.
Now that I look back, I think it *might* have been easier to remove the drivers side cat converter and do this job from below. Something others may want to consider when its their turn and trust me, the time will come!
btw, my T-pipe broke in 2 pieces... hence no small leak, just a sudden failure, right when I was in line for the touches carwash. Needless to say, it was very embarrassing.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:24 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Cool Coolant Pipes Issue!

So I'm at my local CHASE Bank drive thru and it's a really cold day. I see the exhaust of the car in front of me and notice that it looks more smokey than that guys exhaust smoke (sweet antifreeze smell also noticed inside the cabin = oh shiiiiiit coolant pipes)!

Luckily I was in town (usually travel 100's of miles from home on business) and called the steelers who advised me to bring it in ASAP given no warning lights are on yet! Got a 2011 Subaru Outback SW as a loaner (no Porsches left).

Called today and told it will cost around $2K with new SS pipes ordered (as recommended on the TSB = not a recall), but since I bought it used with 29K miles & paid CPO (now at 61K miles), I'm fully covered!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:11 PM
16vsilverstreak
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I've heard of those letting go too. Last 2010 issue of Excellence.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:50 AM
etubridy
1st Gear

Default Positive 06 Cayenne S blown coolant pipes experience in Atlanta

After having our 2006 Cayenne S for about a month the coolant pipes failed catastrophically. The car has about 48K miles, about 5 months out of warranty and was originally a lease car out of Miami. We had it towed to the nearest dealer where they quoted us $1700 to repair it with the new aluminum pipes. This quote reflected some discounts they had running on parts (20%) and labor (15%) at the time. The quote without the discounts was closer to $2200.

When we went to pick it up yesterday we went armed with some of the threads here and a copy of the recently filed lawsuit out of New York. We were pleasantly surprised when the service manager immediately got on the phone to PCNA (just up the road from us) and got approval to replace all but the coolant (~$100!) and a couple of the parts under warranty. Plus, they told us that by paying for some of it we were eligible for a 2 year limited warranty on the repair work. We were told that PCNAs 'policy' was to honor this kind of repair work if the car was less than a year out of warranty and we were the original owners. Apparently the 'policy' for original owners was flexible in our case. The total bill ended up being $127.81.

We are first time Porsche owners and don't have a lot of experience dealing with different dealerships, but I can say at least in this case what started out as a poor customer experience ended up being a very good one. All I can add is that it helps to research forums like this and be armed with information like this when you approach the dealership when faced with this repair.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 AM
AJN334
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update:

Just had my local dealership perform the service. The pipes started leaking very bad and big mess...plus too cold outside here in the northwest. The Porsche stealership changed me almost 35% more than the average cost of performing the service $2750!!

I even showed them receipts from other members but wouldn't budge on price!! Also made me replace the starter which seemed to be ok and of course I got a phone call before they put the car back together to let me know "turbo vacuum lines" needed to also be replaced at additional charge. I caught the silly service manager in a lie though because I questioned him (why did i not have a CEL when bringing the car in, why am I not seeing decrease in vacuum, or boost, what parts need to be replaced, how did you find this problem, have you done a vacuum test, etc) and he could not explain what the problem was or exactly what needed to be replaced....but kept saying you should have us do the service you will increased MPG's. LOL - yeah that will make me believe you. Scary....but sadly people do get taken advantage of..
Old 02-25-2011, 09:52 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Where in the Northwest are you located?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 PM
fnckr
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 117 Posts

Can someone with the turbo coolant hoses requiring the tees take some measurements. This place looks like they might be able to make a durable metal alternative to fit.
http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Par...rass-Tees.html

No affiliation and though I don't own a Cayenne yet, I'm on the lookout.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
libtech75
Intermediate

Here's my coolant pipe story.

Just purchased an 05 Cayenne S with about 52K miles. Car looked immaculate. Asked dealer specifically about the pipes and he said it was thoroughly checked over by their service department and no issues. Dealer was a Porsche Dealer but car was standard used car, no warranties.

Driving home car felt like a new car. But I did detect faint smell of coolant. I looked in coolant tank and level was normal. Looked at the undercarriage and didn't really see any evidence of any leaks. I checked underneath the car for leaks every time I stopped and the next morning looked under the vehicle as well and didn't see any leaks on the ground.

I thought I might be imagining things or maybe somebody topped off a little coolant somewhere that spilled. I've had that happen myself in the past after a coolant flush and fill made the car smell like coolant for a week. Since I had just purchased the car and the dealer said all services were up to spec I figured that may be the case.

I promised myself once I got home I would have my Indy take a look at the car and make sure there were no issues. After a few days back one morning I saw a few small drops underneath the car. Sure enough it was coolant. I topped off the tank and made an appointment to replace the coolant pipes with my Indy. I was sure that was the culprit.

I told my dealership about it and they asked me for a statement from my mechanic and told me they would determine whether this "qualified" for a reimbursement. I don't want to get into the legalities and statements regarding purchasing the car without my own inspection, relying on dealership's statements, etc. That's an entirely different matter. Suffice it to say I am an attorney and made sure I protected myself before driving away with the car.

Anyway, I contacted a well known and respected Porsche specialty mechanic located a block away from my office. I figured it would be great if I could get this taken care of while at work. My Indy is fantastic but he is about an hour and a half from where I live now (I moved from when I originally started using him) The guy at this specialty shop picked up the phone and told me how he just finished the pipe job on the owner's cayenne. Had a doomsday tone in his voice. Told me it was going to be a huge undertaking. I asked him how long it took him. He said "5 days". I thought, "this isnt the guy I am going to send my car to". Out of courtesy I let him get an accurate quote and call me back. He told me $2,900.00. My mouth dropped. I asked him how could it cost $2900 for the job from an Indy when the job takes 4-5 hours and when I can source the parts for $500? He said I couldn't bring my own parts #1, and #2 the parts he sourced from Porsche were $1200. I told him either you are putting a huge markup on your parts or you need to find another dealer to source your parts from. He also laughed aloud when I told him how long the job "should" take. He sounded so incredulous. I told him thanks but no thanks.

Called every dealer in the area. Three wanted exactly what this specialty Porsche shop quoted. About $2900-3000. At one dealer the service manager sounded like he was willing to deal and after quoting me $1800-1900, kept asking me "how does that sound" and "what were other shops quoting?" So I get the sense I could have knocked him down a $100 or so. That probably would have been the cheapest dealer but it was somewhat out of my way. The dealer closeest to me wanted $2500 but was willing to give me a loaner car for my troubles during the repair (no thanks).

I called my Indy and asked him how much the job would cost. He told me $340 ($85 @ 4 hours labor). I couldn't believe it. I kept asking if he had done the job before and understood what it entailed? After hearing these ridiculous quotes by the dealer I thought there is no way they could just inflate the prices to that extent. There is overcharging and them just pure price gouging. Did they not have a conscience? [insert joke or sarcastic comment here]

So I ordered the kit from porscheoemparts.com. I checked suncoast and sunset and both nice operations with nice people but suncoast which is closest to me would have taken about 5 days shipping normal UPS ground at a significantly higher shipping cost then porscheoemparts.com.

That was the most important factor to me since I wanted to replace these pipes asap. The fact that the part kit (identical to the suncoast kit) was more than $100 less was a bonus. They are a Porsche shop right outside of San Francisco and I was amazed they quoted me a $15 shipping charge for Fedex 2 day air! I asked twice wondering if they said "$50". Since that is about what most parts outfits charge on a second day air shipping quote.

Sure enough, they shipped the coolant pipe kit out an hour after I got off the phone with them and I received it exactly the second business day by fedex as promised. Drove it to my Indy today, nervous as hell while taking the hour 1/2 trip to his shop. Murphy's law, every single road I took was filled with traffic and what normally takes 1 1/2 took more than two hours.

I made it there with no smoking, no dramatic temperature rising, or the like. He took the car in, quietly finished the job in just under four hours.

Drove the car back home and after about 20 minutes couldn't even smell the coolant anymore from the vents. Car still drives like new and I feel a sense of relief overcome me and a smile develop over my face.

I'm crossing my fingers I get at least a year of hassle free enjoyment before the next "major" crisis comes along.

Quick Reply: Coolant pipes A-Z.