Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys have scared the bejebus out of me...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by cordsig79
um........trust the 06 S with CPO to 100k..........escrow 5k and youre set forever. Go S under warranty..........you'll be in charge of brakes, tires, oil, and gas.........however cant tell if that one is CPO.
The two near my in-laws are not at a Porsche dealer, so no CPO. Can one be obtained? Or is that something that can only be initiated by the dealer before sale?
Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you can contact a local porsche dealer and see if they would be willing to take transfer of the cars and CPO them.....its been done per board members on rennlist.

Or go with a simple powertrain aftermarket warranty through Credit union and know that the 5k escrow will probably be tapped but then your covered on engine and tranny malfunction.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:49 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

and try to reach out to some local Cayenne owners in your area who have experience and time to walk you through some of the prevous headaches...........I have people in Dallas willing to help me do some of these things when it comes to the Cayenne side and just happened upon some 928 and 944 owners here in Austin that were very outgoing and offered assistance next time, and some of these guys own their own shops.

If you could find someone near by whose done and willing to walk you through coolant pipes and coils, thats a big deal..........lurk some more and buy the PIG you want once youre confident you can accomplish the changes on your own etc.........you can also use that when negotiating with a non porsche dealer, require that they send it over to porsche for aluminum tubes before you buy it at their price........

Think outside the box
Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

you will not come to a dead end here if you post HELP me and have the time to let it sit until you can get a response.........

You will still get hazed though by the PIG pen audience.........you can always go back and edit your comments too lower the hazing once its fixed.

There are no wrong questions, just ones that make you look stupid.......ha ha...
Old 01-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Looking stupid has never been a concern for me; I'd rather look stupid and learn than the alternative.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:12 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

I am still fighting the bug to get a Turbo.......but just being at a new job for a few months and recnet new money in my pocket has me sitting on my hands and waiting to pay off this booger instead of trading it in for useless negative equity. Its still my first true porsche to ever own and I think i want to keep my mule pig.

Ill be getting a Turbo Pcar or Turbo Cayenne after I pay off the base so I am straight up lurking too and just endless lists and mods I want.

Oh and I have bought all kinds of accessories off the people on here too just by threads and pms.......got a new roof rack off a turbo etc.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

please remind me thread members.........(im my biggest duh voice), nu uh.....its mainy VAG, VW, VR6, blah blah blah....cause its a 6er.........duuuuhhhheeerrrrr...
Old 01-24-2011, 04:45 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Looking stupid has never been a concern for me; I'd rather look stupid and learn than the alternative.
Having a good sense of humor nevers either.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Having a good sense of humor nevers either.
Thick skin helps too........ elephant hide preferably....
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Okay, I poked but realized that it was a needle/haystack problem...

I'm looking hard at an '04 CS with only 31k on it. It's at a dealer, he's offering an extended warranty (not CPO, though) and he's offering to fix any warranty item I can come up with that isn't already fixed before I take delivery.

Can someone point to a list or provide the TSBs (or whatever the reference numbers are correctly called) to throw at him for the standard '04 CS problems that are warranty repairs? If my understanding is correct, the big ones are coils, cardan shafts and coolant tubes.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

coils/plugs
cardan shaft
coolant tubes
self ejecting rusting stainless steel trim
A506 Cowboy Belt Buckles
Rear window microswitch...all 4 revisions
Rear window washer prostate dribbling
Front wipers that sound like an angry elephant's *** being dragged across windshield
condensation in headlights (maxi pads or ventilation tube TSB...pick one)
TCU/ECU hesitation (Grandmother mode F/W update)
Transmission valve body/control unit/firmware
Horns acting as fishbowls
Fishtank under rear spoiler with antennae under water and corroded
Remote control lack of range/improperly routed antenna (see above)
CDR23 / PCM latest firmware updates
Loose headlight retaining bolts/cracked mounts/corroded connectors
Intermittent bulb diagnostics (see above)
Updated alignment specs (3rd revision)
CV boots/wheel bearings
Weak rear hatch struts (2x4 works well, go to Home Depot)
Cracked/leaking front washer mechanisms
Leaking gas cap seal/fuel pump in gas tank

Would you like me to keep going or just stop now?

If you are really serious about Cayenne Cliff Diving, I would suggest becoming a contributing member to www.renntech.org
There you will have access to every single TSB.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:21 PM
joes95rx7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, the P!G isn't any less reliable than the competition in the same class of SPORT utility vehicle. As a Cayenne owner, you own the most renowned and capable SUV in existence. If you're not a competent mechanic chances are you will have some expensive repair bills.

I do agree that there are a handful of overly negative members here but consider that most people don't get on a forum to talk about how good their car is working for them. They get online to ask questions about how to fix problems and grip about something that has gone wrong. Ever model from every manufacturer has its quirks- the difference is that people aren't as passionate about Ford Explorers and Toyota 4Runners as we are about our P!G's. If you want reliable, buy a Toyota (not the Land Cruiser - you'll have just as many expensive repairs with that too )
Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UMM...NO

Originally Posted by joes95rx7
In my opinion, the P!G isn't any less reliable than the competition in the same class of SPORT utility vehicle. As a Cayenne owner, you own the most renowned and capable SUV in existence. If you're not a competent mechanic chances are you will have some expensive repair bills.

I do agree that there are a handful of overly negative members here but consider that most people don't get on a forum to talk about how good their car is working for them. They get online to ask questions about how to fix problems and grip about something that has gone wrong. Ever model from every manufacturer has its quirks- the difference is that people aren't as passionate about Ford Explorers and Toyota 4Runners as we are about our P!G's. If you want reliable, buy a Toyota (not the Land Cruiser - you'll have just as many expensive repairs with that too )
after sending my CayenneS back under the lemon law after there were a whole raft of problems that they couldn't seem to fix (or even admit to..), i bought an FX45. besides being faster than the CS, at 118k miles i have yet to have a single repair on the car that wasn't normal maintenance (ie, brakes, tires, etc). the FX forums are quite as rabid as rennlist is, without the "There is no substitute" attitude.

i loved driving my CS when it wasn't trying to convince me i had been rearended while the transmission was shifting, or when PHC Unavailable wasn't showing up as a critical warning. the FX does just as well without the indigestion. as long as you don't NEED the Cayenne to work, and as long as you have a DEEP POCKET to dip into for repairs, jump in, the water is fine....
Old 01-24-2011, 11:51 PM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Shawn,
Live in Havertown, just south of Philly. Have an 06S bought CPO from the local dealer with 45K miles. Love my truck, the only issue I have is the brakes are loud. Have new pads in my office the EBC made for me(I ama director at a major automotive parts and service company) If you want to go for a ride in mine let me know if you are in town. I had a 2010 V6 loaner when I had my brakes checked(they are just loud) and my 06 S is a faster car and more fun to drive. You need to drive them both before you make a decision.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:54 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cordsig - love the insights on saving money driving a Cayenne. I may try your oil change trick.

Shawn - those prices for the V6 vs. V8 seem to favor the V8 by my math. I know there are lots of satisfied V6 drivers, but you really should try both engines one after the other. V8s may give you more headaches, but will make up for it with the punchy acceleration and purr.

(And I will refrain from my typical how-does-anyone-in-their-right-mind-not-buy-a-Turbo-when-they're-this-cheap evangelism... except to say that it is slightly telling that a very vocal supporter of the Base P!G says he's eyeing a Turbo now.)

Quick Reply: You guys have scared the bejebus out of me...