Porsche Torque Vectoring

Trailer coupling
Heated seats
Rear Airbags
Non-smoker
XM
Cargo Management

My budget is $65k, and this one comes to $64,295

I can't figure out how to get the left and right front air intakes painted black, but that seems like an easy body shop item.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:50 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

How important is roof rails; You cannot add it at a later date. How about ventilated seats. Huge plus in Texas. Have you thought about pana roof ? I suggest you downgrade to 20 inch wheels, save some cash to fund for any of the above options.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Technovc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Not sure what I'd do with roof rails, though they look nice. Ventilated seats seem like the right idea, but my wife doesn't like them. I'd get them just for me, but $2525 is a lot of money for ventilation. I would like the Pana roof, but not for the money. Re: wheels, the RS wheels are not silver right -- they're some kind of medium gray? Wish I could see them (Porsche has gone too far on restricting build volume). I keep saving on wheels, then thinking the car looks wrong, and them shelling out for wheels and new tires. That's a false economy!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:19 PM
pg103
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're right. The RS wheels have a grayish finish. My build has a 21SE also. Have you though about convenience package. Worth the money for sunroof and nav. Plus, it would be hard to sell the car in the future without a nav. Do you really need air suspension/ PVT? My budget was the same and here is my build:

Jet Black metallic with sand beige interior.
Premium package (because I wanted the parking sensors and 14 ways seats)
light comfort package
21 inch SE wheels
Non-smoking package
Aluminum roof rails

Went a little over 65k, but you only live once.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:53 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 62 Posts

The RS wheels have a platinum finish and looks stunning in person. The ride on the 12 inch wheels will be slightly harsher and cost of tire replacement would be higher for the 21s. Hence I went with the 20 inch RS. Here are a couple of pics (the fisrt close up shot is a picture of a RL'er Greg).

A Cayenne configured without any suspension and performance upgrades would still be a great vehicle compared to most in the market. But if you truly WANT the sporty performance and handling that is worthy of the PORSCHE badge then you do NEED the PASM, AS and at the very least PTV (I say even PDCC). If you can compromise or have a very strict budget then at the very least go with PASM and AS. pg103 please see the previous post of technovc where I explain the benefits of AS. PTV enhances agility and steering response/precision and one does not have to drive the SUV really fast to derive these benefits which are felt even in slow speeds (BTW I have not driven a Cayenne with PDCC or PTV).

Pana roof is lighter and less expensive than the previous gen Cayennes and is a bargain for the price that it is offered. It is a must have in my books. Hope my post has helped you.
Attached Images   
Old 12-31-2010, 05:13 PM
Technovc
Advanced

The wheel close up does look nice, thanks! I just think the 21" seems to have more of the scale needed to balance the rather large mass of the car.

I went to the dealer today and looked at the 19" design wheel, and it is usable, too. So, with my budget, I think the choice is 19" + PDCC or 21" and no PDCC.

I also looked at the pana roof. It is really nicely done, but I guess I just don't care about a sunroof. I did wonder if opening it and the windows gave some "convertible" feel? In the showroom I just couldn't pick up that vibe.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:25 PM
Technovc
Advanced

BTW, I really like pg103's build. I considered that color combination (I had it on my M3 and have it now on a Cooper S). He chose the opposite strategy from mine: spend your money on comfort. Given how well the base suspension car drives, his approach might be right. My thought is to spend most of my budget on the driving dynamics of the car. That's why I chose the Cayenne over the X5 and LR4 (both of which drive well, but don't offer quite the communication and involvement of the Cayenne).

Sadly Porsche makes it really hard to evaluate the virtues of their very expensive technology. My dealer is as helpful and cooperative as any dealer I've ever worked with, but they only have two cars, and both are CS, base suspension cars. I know custom ordering is a small percentage of total volume, but at these prices (I can buy a Honda Fit for the cost of the options alone), and the likely huge margins of the options, I'd like to see a national custom order center. Let me fly to Atlanta or Birmingham and try various bits back to back.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:31 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

Seems like you're very into the performance options, so I think you should opt for the 19s and PDCC. You can always change out the wheels later on.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Technovc
I can't figure out how to get the left and right front air intakes painted black, but that seems like an easy body shop item.
There is an option to do so, Extended exterior package painted in Black (high-gloss finish), $2400 option.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Technovc
Advanced

Yeah, good point on "Extended exterior package painted in Black". I think my mind was so overwhelmed by that price that I forgot it.

I'm leaning toward your idea of 19's and PDCC. I assume the wheel arch extensions that come with the 21's aren't really necessary?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

I also looked at the pana roof. It is really nicely done, but I guess I just don't care about a sunroof. I did wonder if opening it and the windows gave some "convertible" feel? In the showroom I just couldn't pick up that vibe.
If it helps at all, I had similar feelings about the Pano roof. I was concerned that in summer it would feel like I was under a big magnifying glass. Also I hate rattles and the sunshade seemed rather flimsy and a possible source of noise. Finally, unless I missed it completely in the showroom, one of the roof structural cross members has to be removed (see page 58 of the Cayenne booklet/brochure) to install the Pano roof. My head couldn't get around the idea that cutting a 15sf hole in the roof wouldn't affect the car negatively at some point. All delusional stuff, maybe, but why I decided against it despite the very reasonable price (on the CS anyway). I know others love it, so you pay your money and take your choice.

BTW, Sand White is a great color.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 01-01-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:17 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Yeah, good point on "Extended exterior package painted in Black". I think my mind was so overwhelmed by that price that I forgot it.
Right? The price point of some of the options are just silly and add up FAST. I'm sure a body shop could paint just air intakes for much less. Plus, I don't think you get a whole lot with the side mirrors and rear spoiler painted in "high gloss" black, as they're already black.

I assume the wheel arch extensions that come with the 21's aren't really necessary?
Not with 19s or 20s, but if you think down the line you'll want to put those 21s on, you might want to consider adding otherwise the wheels may protrude out beyond the body of the car. That said, adding them without having the larger wheels may itself look a bit odd. Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Technovc
Advanced

What do you Pana roof lovers think about my "convertible feel" idea? Is that why you love it? Otherwise, what is the advantage over the base moonroof (on the CS)?
Old 01-03-2011, 03:12 AM
Aperture776
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA

If it helps at all, I had similar feelings about the Pano roof. I was concerned that in summer it would feel like I was under a big magnifying glass. Also I hate rattles and the sunshade seemed rather flimsy and a possible source of noise. Finally, unless I missed it completely in the showroom, one of the roof structural cross members has to be removed (see page 58 of the Cayenne booklet/brochure) to install the Pano roof. My head couldn't get around the idea that cutting a 15sf hole in the roof wouldn't affect the car negatively at some point. All delusional stuff, maybe, but why I decided against it despite the very reasonable price (on the CS anyway). I know others love it, so you pay your money and take your choice.

BTW, Sand White is a great color.
I completely agree with you Mike. That is also the reason I would never buy a convertible soft top.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

What do you Pana roof lovers think about my "convertible feel" idea? Is that why you love it? Otherwise, what is the advantage over the base moonroof (on the CS)?
I have the pano roof and I love it. It has a very similar feel to the 911 targa.

Quick Reply: Critique My Cayenne Custom Order