Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Cayenne S-- Driving Impressions: The First 1000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 AM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more question: the cayenne V8 is the same one as the panamera S, how come we haven't heard about all this oil burning issue with that car? I did a brief search on the panamera forum and didn't really find anyone complaining about the high oil consumption. Is there a material(or any)difference between this engine and the panny V8?

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sid_vicious
One more question: the cayenne V8 is the same one as the panamera S, how come we haven't heard about all this oil burning issue with that car? I did a brief search on the panamera forum and didn't really find anyone complaining about the high oil consumption. Is there a material(or any)difference between this engine and the panny V8?

Thanks.
Maybe Panamera owners are a less critical group. Seriously, the engines in the two cars are identical. It possible they're programmed slightly differently since they work with different transmissions, but can't see how that would affect oil consumption in any way.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:05 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Granted, that in some ways we are talking apples and oranges. BUT, it is interesting that auto manufactures ie Porsche call fora gentle break-in where as aircraft piston engines are broken in at near full throttle ( and full rich on the mixture) granted pure mineral oil is used in aircraft engine break-in. Again running the engine hard is to properly seat the rings and thus not allow oil by pass..... food for thought. My 2007 I broke in as per the manual and had a constant RMS leak until Porsche bought it back. My 2009 Carrera S I started the break-in as per the manual but after several hundred miles and the engine oil warmed I gradually increased RPM and abruptness of throttle application and now with over 18,000 mile she does not consume any oil. I did the same break-in on my 2010 Cayman which now with almost 9000 and lots of track time also does not burn any oil. If you were to privately ask a Porsche tech how to break in the engine they would say "Drive it hard" after the oil is at normal operating temps. Sorry for the length
Old 12-12-2010, 08:15 AM
m453w
Rennlist Member

Default Comments on voice control

Has anyone looked into adding VC post production? Have an 11 CS without but interested based on the feedback in this thread. I know you would have to add a new stalk to add the button. But what else - any ideas?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:04 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Just curious Lewis. Were the words "Schwein" and "Hund" used simultaneously?
It was fun to program it to respond in a certain way if you mentioned a specific word or phrase, like "Weideking" would cause the volume to go to 11 and display a graphic image on the display....or so I've heard.

Nothing but fond memories now. I've begun to forget some of the Easter Eggs Larry planted inside that thing...
Old 12-12-2010, 09:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
4. Of course Bose is very good.
It's OK at best, definitely not great.

Why would anyone not agree.
I know what Larry would say, he knew a little bit about the system.

It is not fair to compare it to the BURM and then say that it is crap.
Yes, it is, the Burmeister is a much better system.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by m453w
Has anyone looked into adding VC post production? Have an 11 CS without but interested based on the feedback in this thread. I know you would have to add a new stalk to add the button. But what else - any ideas?
What is "VC" did I miss something?
Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by f4 plt
What is "VC" did I miss something?
Voice Control. Have it on my C4S and never use it.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:32 PM
kriegs
Cruisin'

That makes sense to me as a friend suggested once that European manuals do not mention anything about 2k mile break in . I pick up my 11 S this week and will definitely drive it hard after it is warm.

If some seal or gasket needs replacement at 60k miles, so be it, but at least my throttle mapping will be to my liking.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The break-in debate has been going on forever. I'll add this. When I picked up my '09 C2S at the factory I specifically asked the representative about break in proceedure. He told me basically to ignore what was written in the manual and drive the car like it was meant to be driven. He said something to the effect that you can't baby your car on the Autobahn and no one over there does.

I couldn't quite bring myself to follow his advice completely and used some restraint, but I did get on the throttle hard when I really needed to and drove as fast as traffic would allow when I got the opportunity. Maybe even more important was the fact that in that first 1500 miles I was taking long trips, varying rpm as much as possible, and not doing short drives with lots of starts and stops.

It may be coincidence, but both my 997.2 S and my previous 996 were factory delivery cars, got driven fairly hard when they were new, and neither has used oil. I'm already planning some long trips for the new CS when it arrives (someday).
Old 12-12-2010, 03:16 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Your "friend" probably knows what he is talking about!!
Old 12-13-2010, 01:29 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sid_vicious
Couple of questions:

1. WOT?, is it wide open throttle?
2. Assuming you are not joking around, i'd be very curious hear more about the competing theories about break in.
1. Yes
2. No joke, no theory. Ask any race engine builder.

Warm engines thrive on hard exercise. Exercising an engine hard before oil comes up to temp is the worst possible thing you could do. It really is just that simple, nothing else needed to know.

Rinse, repeat, enjoy your freakin car

The challenge with the Cayenne Turbo is finding a way to load the engine and running it through 3rd and 4th gear and not running out of road to do it. A nice 15% uphill grade would be good. Hooking one of those tractor-pull sleds behind it would be great. The engine has such a monumental reserve of power it is very difficult to make it work.

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I like this guy's idea to drive it like it's stolen during break-in period. That's what I'll do once my Burbo (Blue Turbo) comes in. But then again, that's how I always drive
Burbo! Love it! Sounds like you drive Flat-Out!
Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 PM
sid_vicious
Instructor

Originally Posted by savyboy
1. Yes
2. No joke, no theory. Ask any race engine builder.

Warm engines thrive on hard exercise. Exercising an engine hard before oil comes up to temp is the worst possible thing you could do. It really is just that simple, nothing else needed to know.

Rinse, repeat, enjoy your freakin car
Thanks! So Italian tune up it is!
Old 12-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I like this guy's idea to drive it like it's stolen during break-in period. That's what I'll do once my Burbo (Blue Turbo) comes in. But then again, that's how I always drive
I've owned more new motorcycles than I have new autos but with all of them I take it relatively easy for the first 200 mi. or so then I treat it like I would w/ 20k mi., and I drive fairly aggressively. I ignore the restrictive RPM limits completely. Think about it, does Porsche run their cars for 2K+ mi. before they turn them over to the Porsche Perf. Driving School (run by Porsche)? And they CPO those vehicles when they send them to the dealers after they're done.

Just drive it like you normally would.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
It's OK at best, definitely not great.

I know what Larry would say, he knew a little bit about the system.

Yes, it is, the Burmeister is a much better system.
Brother. That's like saying a 458 Italia is a much better car than a 997 so a 997 is crap. The Bose system is pretty good, obviously the Burm is superior. It also costs a lot more and for some people (dare I say most) it will not be selected. Just like they sell fewer 458 's when compared to a 997.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S-- Driving Impressions: The First 1000 Miles