2011 Cayenne S-- Driving Impressions: The First 1000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Cayenne S-- Driving Impressions: The First 1000 Miles

Hi all:

As you may recall, I picked up my 2011 CS a few weeks ago. You can see pictures of it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=34752
This CS replaced my beloved 2006 Cayenne S, which was traded in with about 120,000 miles. As most of you know, I am probably the biggest kool-aid drinker on the board when it comes to the Cayennes.

Well, after the first 1000 miles, I am duly impressed in many ways. There are a few things, however, that have not left me as impressed and concern me a little about whether this car is "built to last" like my 2006.

The Positives

1. The new Cayenne looks great in person. The rear has grown on me quite a bit. I have gotten more comments/compliments in a month with this car than I did in 5 years with the 2006.

2. The interior is a HUGE improvement. The seats (only the standard 8 way) are very comfortable. The black headliner looks much better than the old gray one. For those who order full leather, you are in for a treat. I love the pano roof. Many have said to me that it's the best feature of the car.

3. The new PCM is wonderous. (I highly recommend getting voice control. It is one of the best features of the car and a very worthwhile option (especially with all the new cell phone restrictions). Through the voice controlyou can program the NAV (select a destination etc), make a call, select a radio station, SAT radio etc...and many more things). The telephone (speakerphone) is clear and works well. People tell me they don't even know I'm in a car or on a speaker phone. I know others will disagree, but the BOSE sounds great, especially with the I pod interface. The 3D birds-eye map is really cool. There are numerous ways to customize the settings, which is nice.

4. Porsche put quite a bit thought into enabling the driver to "personalize" their environment. By that I mean you can set up various feaures almost any way you want them, for e.g., customizing lights, sounds, indicators, screen formats etc. The options are almost endless.

5. The heat/air system works really well, as do the heated seats and heated wheel. (Nice touch letting you control it yourself, as opposed ot the prior version which activiated at a certain temp).

6. The 'S' is VERY fast. The power feels endless and is very intoxicating. I have kept it under 3500 RPM's per the break in procedure, but even doing so, I must say that it almost feels like the old turbo. Pretty amazing for a natually aspirated car. The 8 speed gear box is incredible. You cruise in 8th gear on the highway at 80ph and only about 1600 RPM's. Just amazing. The highway gas mileage reflects this efficiency. I've been getting about 16 mpg in the city and well over 20 on the highway). What is most amazing is that the engine is soooo torquey in 7th and 8th gear. I have no idea how they do this... My 993 is a varioram engine and this was the point of that development... torque with low RPM's...but this thing is unreal. It is almost a challenge to drive it above 2500 RPM's because about that engine speed the thing wants to just burst off. I've laid off of sport mode during break in, but I know how insane it is from the test drive.

7. The handling is very precise, even more so than the earlier Cayenne. One way to sum it up is that the earlier Cayennes felt like an SUV/truck that sort of had a sports car feel. The 2011 just feels like a sports car... It's almost not SUV like at all. I should add that the steeing at slow speeds does not feel as "heavy" as in the old Cayenne. I think this is because the serviotronic is now standard. I prefer the heavy feel, but perhaps the light steering will grow on me overtime.

The Negatives

1. There is a "clicking" sound (like metal on metal), similar to the sound when you depress the plunger on a ball point pen) coming from underneath that beautiful center console. Something was not fitted correctly, and it is driving me absolutely crazy...like fingernails on the blackboard. I am working with the dealer to try to get to the bottom of this, but I suspect it's going to require disassembly of the center console to seat it properly. More than anything else, this is killing my joy for the car. More recently, there is another "clicking" type sound coming from the rear. Perhaps I am a stickler for these types of things, but these clicking sounds make me feel like I'm in a $15,000 Hyundai rattlebox and not an $80,000+ Porsche. My 2006 Cayenne was rock solid for 5 plus years and 120,000 miles. My '97 993S also does not make a squeek. I wonder if the VAG quality control has something to do with this... and if others are having the same experience.

2. While the steering is precise, the steering wheel has a considerable amount of vibration upon acceleration...even modest acceleration. You can feel the revs of the engine in your hands. I've noticed the vibration to be even more pronounced in turns. It's noiticable enough that it almost feels like something is wrong...except that so many others have commented about it...I'm going to consider it normal in these cars (for now). The car is otherwise so smooth, I wonder if this was intentional to make the driver feel more connected to the road/engine operation/ driving experience etc.

3. The car seems to be VERY thirsty for oil, as others have remarked. I'm down almost a quart after 1100 miles. My father-in law, who bought his a week before mine, was down almost a quart at 700 miles. It may be because these cars are new, but others have continued to report "oil issues." In 5+ year I never had to add a drop of oil in my 2006. I won't be happy if I have to add a quart every 2000 miles or so. ****, I had the top end done in my 911 when it started burning a quart in less than a thousand mile.

4. The weather stripping around the doors is VERY flimsy. Mine has ALREADY torn in 3 places (driver's side door) after having the car only about a week and driving it lightly for a few hundred miles. A portion of the weather stripping is exposed to the outside (in the seam between the front and rear doors), and that is where mine ripped. I went though a touchless car wash and the pressure wash may have done it...but still... I've been through that wash dozens of times with other cars. This is not really acceptable IMO. This same stripping is on the lower door sill as well and I think these bits are not going to wear well in these cars. For god sakes, mine already needs to be replaced.

5. The heated windsceen has a heating element which is pretty visable in day light and causes a lot of glare at night from on coming lights. I don't think it is well designed, but I will reserve judgment until I've used it in the winter as to whether it is a worthwhile option overall.

6. There are two cosmetic issues -- one involving a leather bit and the other a cosmetic blemish -- which the dealer is working with me to resolve.

Overall, I like the new CS very much, I am glad I bought it. However, as with the former Alpha and Beta Cayennes, my sense is that those who wait a couple of years to buy may be rewarded because the issues I've mentioned may be improved upon in furture iterations of the new Cayenne.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by rome; 12-09-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:20 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This blows
Old 12-09-2010, 10:46 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Rome thanks for throwing some bones for all the waiters.

My take on your take:

1. Good to know that you are liking the rear end coz I very much like the rear of the older Cayennes.
2. No surprises on the interior. Full leather is worth every single penny. Every single 911 owner who
enters my car first notices the full leather and wished that theirs had it. It just elevates it to the next
level. I am yet to see anyone not like the pana roof.
3. Why don't you guys use sport mode and just keep revs below 4.5K RPM. Where is this
recommendation on staying off sport mode coming from. Never seen this on the 997.2 board ??
4. Ofcourse Bose is very good. Why would anyone not agree. It is not fair to compare it to the BURM
and then say that it is crap.
5. On the negatives. The first year of the first gen Cayennes had a cardan shaft problem causing steering
wheel vibration. Did you ask the dealer about this and if they had other similar complaints. I don't
think it was intentionally done for a raw/visceral feel. The DFI engines especially during the break-in
are very thirsty. My 997.2's oil consumption has significantly improved. I am disappointed with your
clicking noise. I hope the problem is properly diagnosed and corrected. It can be quite annoying.
I am still kicking myself for ordering the heated windscreen.......

Thank you once again for taking the time to write this detailed report. We all sure very much appreciate it.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the detailed report, invaluable information. I have a CS ordered with a February build date.

I'd love to hear a little more about what exactly the Voice Control can do. The brochure and website have limited information. What you shared is actually more in depth.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 10:53 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I haven't asked the dealer about the vibration, but several others had the same experience with theirs. Also, I made of point of seeing if it was present when I had a loaner a couple weeks ago and it had the same vibration. I need to drive my FIL's and see if it's there as well, but my guess is that it is.

It's not bad or good, I guess...It's just that you can sense the vibration of the engine through the wheel. Some may like, some may not... Others may feel like something is wrong...but hopefully nothing is.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:56 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jsonorous
Thanks for the detailed report, invaluable information. I have a CS ordered with a February build date.

I'd love to hear a little more about what exactly the Voice Control can do. The brochure and website have limited information. What you shared is actually more in depth.

Thanks
Simply put, virtually every function of the PCM can be controlled by voice (natural language). There are a few exceptions, and some are easier than others, but overall, it's really cool.

So, for e.g., you can be listening to the radio and say "NAVI"... Call out the place you want to go...and bing... the NAV has you going there.... Or, you can say: "Howard 100"...and you go to that station... Or "Call Wife" and bing.. the phone is ringing...

To give the command, you simply depress a button on the turn signal stalk and it will prompt you.

Certain commands are a little limited, like scrolling though the iPod (unless I just have not learned enough to do it yet)...but it's very cool overall. I recall hearing that there may be other "non-PCM" functions you can control, but I haven't gotten that far yet. The book is thick.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:02 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

reads like your positives far out weigh you negatives.
hopefully the negatives will be resolved by the dealer soon, although the weather stripping issue could be tough.
and just think of all the positives to come with sport mode and high revs.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:26 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the detailed review. I'm almost at 1000 miles on my v6 cayenne and also notice the steering vibration under acceleration as others have reported. Not an issue to me unless it's a sign of a bigger problem that keeps it at the dealer for an extended period . . . but than again a boxster or panamera loaner would be a fun change. I haven't checked the oil yet but so far no low oil warning, but again I have the v6. No rattles for me so far but there is a periodic squeal when I first open or close the driver's side window if it's wet.

Also one little thing I notice is that the white and red interior door and hatch light covers come off easily. I first noticed this in a 2011 Cayenne in the dealer showroom that I accidently knocked loose. I closed my hatch once with some cargo near the door and it knocked the one off the hatch. It popped right back in though.

All these little issues have so far been overshadowed by all the little details I love. Love the LED lights. Love how the door window sills are just a little higher than the window giving a sense that I'm low down like in my old cayman. I enjoy just sitting in it. Steering wheel feels awesome. Love how it feels like a vault with my family inside of it.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:02 AM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 206 Posts

Great post Rome, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Jsonorous
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Simply put, virtually every function of the PCM can be controlled by voice (natural language). There are a few exceptions, and some are easier than others, but overall, it's really cool.

So, for e.g., you can be listening to the radio and say "NAVI"... Call out the place you want to go...and bing... the NAV has you going there.... Or, you can say: "Howard 100"...and you go to that station... Or "Call Wife" and bing.. the phone is ringing...

To give the command, you simply depress a button on the turn signal stalk and it will prompt you.

Certain commands are a little limited, like scrolling though the iPod (unless I just have not learned enough to do it yet)...but it's very cool overall. I recall hearing that there may be other "non-PCM" functions you can control, but I haven't gotten that far yet. The book is thick.
Thanks! I'm going to see if I can sneak this option in, my lock date is tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:57 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

A really good informative post, Rome. As a waiter myself it's nice to read some honest feedback from an experienced owner.

Not to minimize the issues you are having with the clicking noise (that stuff drives me crazy too), vibration, or weather stripping, but thankfully they seem like secondary issues that can probably be resolved. The major stuff: performance, transmission, fuel economy, handling, ergonomic design, etc. that are much harder to fix if they're wrong, sound like they are very well done from your description.

I just recently ordered my CS so I have a long time to go, but I got some vicarious excitement from reading about yours. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
reads like your positives far out weigh you negatives.
hopefully the negatives will be resolved by the dealer soon, although the weather stripping issue could be tough.
and just think of all the positives to come with sport mode and high revs.
+1 Glad you are enjoying it. Hopefully the little things will be worked out for you.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great review, Rome. I love the CS as well and am very impressed with the handling.

FYI, I also have the noise in center console. The clicking/light knocking is constant and not related to engine rpm that I can tell. I'll be very interested in what the dealer has to tell you about that!

Regarding oil usage, I was anticipating the same issue. Oddly, I'm still only down one bar at 2,600 miles and it hasn't budged. Has me wondering if the gauge is faulty.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:24 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill P.
Great review, Rome. I love the CS as well and am very impressed with the handling.

FYI, I also have the noise in center console. The clicking/light knocking is constant and not related to engine rpm that I can tell. I'll be very interested in what the dealer has to tell you about that!

Regarding oil usage, I was anticipating the same issue. Oddly, I'm still only down one bar at 2,600 miles and it hasn't budged. Has me wondering if the gauge is faulty.

Thanks Bill...

The clicking (or tapping) noise I'm hearing is not constant or rythmic... It's irregular and isn't necessarily tied to bumps in the road. I hear it even on flat and uneven roads without significant bumps. It sounds ike the fitment is not quite right and the torsion of the body as the car moves causes some hidden pieces to "click" against each other.

Is yours the same?

It's making me nuts... I'm waiting for the dealer to get a exterior part which needs to be replaced (hopefully in next week) and I'm really hoping they can solve this issue on the same visit.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have a rattle on the barest of uneven roads which really bugs me. But the soft knocking sound I hear is constant for the most part.

Quick Reply: 2011 Cayenne S-- Driving Impressions: The First 1000 Miles