Sponsored by:

Spec'ing a 2011 Cayenne S

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:16 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Spec'ing a 2011 Cayenne S

I'm making decisions on colors/options for a new Cayenne S. I think I like Auburn Metallic/Luxor Beige but the representations in the configurator can be pretty unrealistic. Obviously I'll want to see the combo in person, but thought someone might have pics of their car that would be more lifelike than what's on the Porsche web site.

I'm fairly certain I want the air suspension and PTV. The PTV is new, so don't know if anyone has much experience with it, but the air suspension has been available. Any problems or issues I should know about?

Also, what do people think of the Sport Exhaust option? Does anyone have it on their Cayenne? I have PSE on my '09 Carrera S and love it. When I test drove the Cayenne S it seemed a little quiet compared to the V8 in my Audi, but maybe I need to do a re-check. PSE might be nice for the Cayenne, but for almost $3K, maybe I could do without.

Thanks for wading through my questions. Opinions on any of this, or other thoughts from Cayenne owners would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My impression on the Auburn Metallic after seeing it in person can be found here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...11-colors.html

As far as the Luxor Beige goes. As much as I like light interiors, that one drove me nuts (monotone) when I test drove a P!G back earlier this year. Espresso/cognac is more aesthetically pleasing and more practical, provided you can budget for it.

I do like the sport exhaust. The standard tips are too Lexus-ey (much like the rest of P!G's behind).
Old 11-23-2010, 05:13 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

dmonte has luxor beige: This thread has some pictures. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=76429

I have also attached some real world pictures of luxor beige interior (from Champion Porsche) and Auburn metallic. Nobody in RL have Auburn and very few if any have PTV to my knowledge. I do not have any experience with PSE, sorry can't help.
Attached Images   
Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
dmonte has luxor beige: This thread has some pictures. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=76429

I have also attached some real world pictures of luxor beige interior (from Champion Porsche) and Auburn metallic. Nobody in RL have Auburn and very few if any have PTV to my knowledge. I do not have any experience with PSE, sorry can't help.
Was hoping maybe Auburn was closer to the red/burgandy end of the spectrum but it's more brownish than I thought. Thanks, that pic was helpful.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:33 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The sport exhaust with the V8 is fabulous. I have not tried PTV, but PDCC makes a huge difference on and off road. The air suspension is a great option, but I warn you that you will not be able to stop fiddling with it.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by bgsntth
The sport exhaust with the V8 is fabulous. I have not tried PTV, but PDCC makes a huge difference on and off road. The air suspension is a great option, but I warn you that you will not be able to stop fiddling with it.
I'd thought I could skip the PDCC and maybe the PSE but now I'm tempted to spend another $6.5K. Well that's just great. No, really, thanks for the input!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

I love that color. I would seriously consider that. It would look pretty good with black wheels IMO.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is self-serving advice. I am going to be looking to buy a pre-owned S in about 2-3 years, and really want an example with air, PDCC and sport exhaust. The Umber interior is really nice too.

The dealers rarely spec the PDCC, so it is up to you gents who are building your own to ensure an adequate selection of PDCC equipped Cayennes.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by bgsntth
It is self-serving advice. I am going to be looking to buy a pre-owned S in about 2-3 years, and really want an example with air, PDCC and sport exhaust. The Umber interior is really nice too.

The dealers rarely spec the PDCC, so it is up to you gents who are building your own to ensure an adequate selection of PDCC equipped Cayennes.
LOL. I note you're in Marin, just down 101 a ways from me. I expect to keep this car a while but if things don't work out, I'll keep you in mind.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Swan RSF
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Belated congratulations for your new Cayenne S order. In fact, I am in the process of ordering one in Jan11 as well. A quick question is: what's the estimated maintenance cost to own Cayenne S? If anyone has information, can you kindly shed some lights? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:30 AM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
My impression on the Auburn Metallic after seeing it in person can be found here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...11-colors.html

As far as the Luxor Beige goes. As much as I like light interiors, that one drove me nuts (monotone) when I test drove a P!G back earlier this year. Espresso/cognac is more aesthetically pleasing and more practical, provided you can budget for it.

I do like the sport exhaust. The standard tips are too Lexus-ey (much like the rest of P!G's behind).
That is as good as it gets, seeing it up close and in person.

I've seen the umber and decided that it's not the color I thought it was. The wheels that you choose play a factor in the overall appearance.

The beige seems a bit to lite, but with time may age well/darken with use. Not a fan because it seems a bit to clinical as is the grey. Two tone on the Auburn ftw.

I like the PSE looks, but the price doesn't seem worth it. To my knowledge, the only section that gets changed is the last section...almost seems an appearance thing moreso than a performance gain. If that's the case I'm sure that there will be a flood of options (lighter too) available aftermarket.

Waiting two years for a turbo or S w/PDCC...anythings possible, but there are few dealer builds that offer that option. Most vehicles that I saw were built al la carte, i.e, not packaged and were missing major performance enhancers. Most of them had Bose, cooled sets, painted emblems, fluffy stuff, but nothing hardcore. Point is, prying a custom build with PDCC from an enthusiast like w00t...GL with that (I'm thinking 4.5 to 5 is the wait time on that). Getting one off of a lease in 2-3 is most likely.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by AppleChilli
I've seen the umber and decided that it's not the color I thought it was.
I've migrated from the Auburn/beige I said I was interested in in my OP to thinking about Sand White/Umber so I'm interested in your comment about Umber. What do you mean, "it's not the color I thought it was?". From the pics I've seen (got to see this stuff in person!) it looks close to the cocoa leather I have in my Carrera; maybe a bit lighter. Anyone have good pics of the Umber interior?
Old 11-30-2010, 02:06 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Mike, white and umber is a good combo IMO. One thing to bear in mind (I don't know how long you keep your vehicles)...if you do apply a clear bra to the hood, it will yellow to some extent and this will be more apparent in the white exterior. Other than that white looks good on the Cayenne and is easy to maintain. Here is an umber interior with aluminium package.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Mike, white and umber is a good combo IMO. One thing to bear in mind (I don't know how long you keep your vehicles)...if you do apply a clear bra to the hood, it will yellow to some extent and this will be more apparent in the white exterior. Other than that white looks good on the Cayenne and is easy to maintain. Here is an umber interior with aluminium package.
Thanks, w00tPorsche. From the pic, Umber seems to be what I was hoping for. AFA the exterior is concerned, I also think white looks good on the Cayenne. Since I don't plan on the clear bra treatment, yellowing won't be a problem. I'm ready for a change from the gray shades and the really dark colors look great but are just too much work for someone like me who is **** about dirty vehicles. It took 3 black cars to discover that; I'm a slow learner.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:57 PM
AppleChilli
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I've migrated from the Auburn/beige I said I was interested in in my OP to thinking about Sand White/Umber so I'm interested in your comment about Umber. What do you mean, "it's not the color I thought it was?". From the pics I've seen (got to see this stuff in person!) it looks close to the cocoa leather I have in my Carrera; maybe a bit lighter. Anyone have good pics of the Umber interior?
Mike, The exterior Umber did not suite my fancy; however, as w00t pointed out, the Umber interior will go very well with the Sand White exterior.

I've always been an admirer of the Umber, but for reasons unknown, when I saw it up close and in person on the 2011, it didn't do much for me. The Silver on my Acura did that to me a well; however, it was an expensive mistake on my part. I ended up trading it in mainly because of the Silver exterior, which on gloomy days and most ocassions always looked dirty, the fwd, lack of power, and the rattles...lesson learned. The Silver on the Cayenne is very desirable! And, from what I understand, it's not comparable to the alloy silver color on the Panamera, but still a nice Silver.

Back to the Umber exterior...in daylight (sunny) conditions, it reminded me of mud or sand, not standoutish nor offensive, just blah, boring (no offense to anyone with Umber). In retrospect, I believe that the choice of stock V6 18"s had a lot to do with it. Not that I'm into that sort of thing over anything else, but I saw an Umber with the Turbo II's at night and it was the total opposite in my opinion on the Umber exterior.

I guess that's it... If the exterior interior is done tastefully and to your liking, then it's going to be all roses; if not then back to the drawing board.

So far, the only colors that I wouldn't know what to do with (without exclusive or technique) are Green, Yellow, Amethyst (and you have to pay extra for it), and to some lessor extents mentioned above Umber.

Quick Reply: Spec'ing a 2011 Cayenne S