Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sadly got ripped off by my favorite dealer today :-(

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
stevertr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did get a call back from Aaron, the service manager. Really nice guy and he was happy to talk to me. Of course, he didn't invent the "policy" but really in the end that's what it came down to.. We charged what the book says to charge, which in your case was twice the hours we actually worked on the car, and that's just the way it is. "That's how the industry works." I'm sure he didn't love saying it any more than I loved hearing it.

Next stop may be the local AG, just to see if this is legal. Again, I don't want the money....I just feel like a schmuck that was taken advantage of. I may be wrong, but it seems like a "consumer fraud" issue to charge for hours not worked. After all, as I said to Aaron, why not just lower the hourly rate to $20.....and just charge me 5 hours for each hour worked. It really would be the same thing. Alternatively, why not just stop pretending that an "hourly rate" even exists, since it obviously is a completely irrelevant thing.

Steve
Old 11-23-2010, 08:48 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stevertr
I did get a call back from Aaron, the service manager. Really nice guy and he was happy to talk to me. Of course, he didn't invent the "policy" but really in the end that's what it came down to.. We charged what the book says to charge, which in your case was twice the hours we actually worked on the car, and that's just the way it is. "That's how the industry works." I'm sure he didn't love saying it any more than I loved hearing it.

Next stop may be the local AG, just to see if this is legal. Again, I don't want the money....I just feel like a schmuck that was taken advantage of. I may be wrong, but it seems like a "consumer fraud" issue to charge for hours not worked. After all, as I said to Aaron, why not just lower the hourly rate to $20.....and just charge me 5 hours for each hour worked. It really would be the same thing. Alternatively, why not just stop pretending that an "hourly rate" even exists, since it obviously is a completely irrelevant thing.

Steve

People vote with their feet and wallets...... Walk your wallet to an indy shop
Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, mitchell books and other guides do incorporate some additional time to adjust for breaks, getting supplies, and other various non included tasks. They are considered industry standards and or prevailing labor times and rates. I would suggest learning how to work on your own car for things that you can do at home and it will give you some satisfaction as well as keep some money in your wallet.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:15 PM
skullcap
Track Day

sorry to hear about this, stevertr, but this is the game that we play sometimes with dealerships...and clearly I am not on their side in these slippery situations. I say "fight it professionally" and go up the ladder if you have to...like appealing to Porsche directly, stating the situation, the service manager's name, and what happened. It worked for me with my sunroof seal issue (which works great).
Beyond this, I always try to tailor my oil changes according to their offers. For example, my Porsche dealership periodically sends me promotional $88 oil change offers. If I don't necessarily need the oil change, given about a year or so due, I go at it, knowing that they will fully service my car.
And honestly, you have to play the game with Porsche dealerships: I waited 2 months for my sunroof seal, and they ended up "finding" a seal at another dealership *heck, they could have done that much earlier!* They ended up giving me a great deal and the service manager said to me, "Don't forget about your review" (for her). In the end, I gave her a stellar review in this case because, even though I waited two months, I got more than I bargained for in the first place. Moral of the story? Sometimes you win or lose with dealerships, but it also depends on the connections you make with the individual service manager....one hand washes the other. Still I would dispute that charge.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been through countless oil changes.....

Just buy the filter and parts from Sunset Porsche or get the 100 dollar reusable filter.

Source your own oil too...

I have been to countless Jiffy lubes, SpeeDee Oil changes who charge me about 38 bucks in labor and sometimes I need a new drain plug for 5 bucks, once I show them how easy it is to change and Rennlist DIY instructions if need be........never have an issue.

Also, showed up at Just Brakes with parts for pad change and rotors, 2 months ago..they said no way, tried to upsell me intially about their pads and rotors, then said there is no way they have these specific OEM pads and rotors, they checked, then did 4 pads and rotors with a Dot 5 flush for 175 dollars in about an hour and half.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:51 AM
nh9095
Intermediate

My closest dealer which is over an hour away used to charge around $250 and then I stopped going for a couple of changes and on my next visit explained I had an indy dealer doing it for $150 and I didn't have to drive. They then came up w/ the price of $185. I took them up on it for a few times and then found my new indy dealer. He does oil changes for $100 w/ mobile 1 synthetic and oem porsche filter. Says he doesn't make anything on oil changes but does it as courtesy for customers. Can't beat that
Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 PM
skullcap
Track Day

good knowledge, nh9095
Old 11-27-2010, 03:30 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yesterday Circle Porsche in Long Beach CA. had a Black Friday one day only service sale. So I took my Cayenne turbo in for a oil and filter change and the recommended every two year brake fluid flush and replacement. They also did a vehicle inspection (no issues), tire pressure adjustment and car wash
/vacum. The cost was $99.00 for each service, with a total cost was $211.00 with tax great deal. In the hour and a half that I was waiting for the service to complete they sold two cars at the dealershp.......

Last edited by C4SJOHN; 11-28-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:19 AM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Within our Region we have 7 Dealerships and many run service specials at various times during the year. Many members wait until those specials pop-up for their more mundane services (brake bleeding and oil changes).

Competition creates better pricing.

Quick Reply: Sadly got ripped off by my favorite dealer today :-(