Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1D8 Tow Option - '05 CTT - Any more info out there?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1D8 Tow Option - '05 CTT - Any more info out there?!

I swear I've been all over this board, 6spd, google, countless brochures, etc but still haven't been able to find much information. The Porsche dealership is useless as well...

I'm going to be putting a Curt hitch on my CTT as I need to do some light towing (small trailer for moving some stuff) and am working through the logistics of intalling the hitch as well as the wiring.

According to my build sheet I DO have the 1D8 option which in German is "VORBEREIT. ANHAENGEVORRICHTUNG USA" which when translated means (I think) "Ready towing bracket the USA."

Does anybody know what that means?! Do I have the tow controller? Do I not? To me it wouldn't make sense to have that option without those things otherwise every Cayenne without a full tow package would not have, have that option...

Also I would tear into the truck but it is at the dealership for who knows how much longer as they try to track down a "loose" rattle. They replaced the control arm and aligned it but the noise is still there. I'll hold onto their Panamera S loaner though for as long as they want
Old 11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rear cargo compartment, passenger side (right side if you prefer), remove the small access cover.

Do you see a vertically mounted module (silver) with "Westfalia" intalled against the unibody?

(FWIW, the amplifier is a black anodized heat sink and it mounted horizontally, alongside the CDC if you have one).

Underneath the rear bumper, do you see a 7 pin connector, covered by a flat black plate?
Old 11-15-2010, 12:32 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc
Rear cargo compartment, passenger side (right side if you prefer), remove the small access cover.

Do you see a vertically mounted module (silver) with "Westfalia" intalled against the unibody?

(FWIW, the amplifier is a black anodized heat sink and it mounted horizontally, alongside the CDC if you have one).

Underneath the rear bumper, do you see a 7 pin connector, covered by a flat black plate?
All great questions! When I get her back I will be sure to check. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw a Cayenne V6 the other day with some sort of factory looking tow ball thingy hanging from the rear bumper area (and a trailer attached to it). It looked like it inserted straight up behind the rear bumper.

I *think* there were 2 types of hitches you could get. The one we all think of which is the 2" reciever mount that you can see below the rear bumper, and the one where you insert this funky hitch thingy up into a mount that is vertical behind the rear bumper. Maybe that is the one you have?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
Cole
Drifting

Looked like this one on the Touareg.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that one is not installed on US models, its retractable, only legal in parts of Europe
Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by mudman2
that one is not installed on US models, its retractable, only legal in parts of Europe

I saw it in person on a 955 V6 here in Colorado a few weeks ago.

I was helping take down the cones after an autocross. The Cayenne V6 was pulling the trailer we were putting the cones in. Got a good look at the hitch.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That type of hitch sure looks like a weak link to me!
Old 11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Is that the "retractable" version that swings laterally to store?
Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 48 Posts

Putter McGavin,

We own a 2004 Cayenne Turbo and I recently hooked it up to a horse trailer to see what actually came with the vehicle from the factory. The seven pin connector worked fine and all the lights for running, brakes and turn signals worked fine. I had someone push the brake pedal in the Cayenne to see if I could hear the trailer brakes engage and got nothing so there was no factory brake controller in my vehicle. I would be ok without a brake controller towing a light trailer around but a double axle horse trailer with two large animals in the back - FAH-GEDD-AH-BOU-DIT.

The 1999 Yukon beater on the other hand has a brake controller and works fine for the horses - not quite the same gidde up as the Cayenne (at all) but gets the job done.

Hope this helps.

The lawyers must have had the "ready to tow" language worked out WAY in advance.........

T2
Old 11-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Cole
Drifting

Found another picture of that hitch on a Q7 that said it was retractable and not a US option.

Now I'm curious what the deal is with the Cayenne V6 I saw with it. I will have to talk to the guy at one of the next Porsche club events.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:55 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin
I
According to my build sheet I DO have the 1D8 option which in German is "VORBEREIT. ANHAENGEVORRICHTUNG USA" which when translated means (I think) "Ready towing bracket the USA."

Does anybody know what that means?!
I believe the 1D8 option was standard from 2005+

Basically it is trailer towing prep; which essentially means that it is ready for the control unit and actual hitch install (i.e. it's ready for you to plug in the control unit). Sorry you still need to spend $1,000 for the whole kit, or buy a Curt + OEM wiring harness and Westfalia control unit.

Good luck to you... !Beep
Old 11-18-2010, 05:55 PM
PutterMcGavin
Advanced

Originally Posted by ltc

Ok finally got her back from the dealer after $4500 worth of work (thank you warranty...).

Opened that compartment and I DO have a silver unit installed vertically but I don't think it is the one I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure this is the one for the suspension. Is the other one supposed to sit in parallel on TOP of this one against the body?

Old 11-19-2010, 02:41 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by PutterMcGavin
Ok finally got her back from the dealer after $4500 worth of work (thank you warranty...).

Opened that compartment and I DO have a silver unit installed vertically but I don't think it is the one I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure this is the one for the suspension. Is the other one supposed to sit in parallel on TOP of this one against the body?
It would be on top of the CDC sitting vertically (you have to remove the interior to get at it). See that green plug recepticle in the picture??...that's 1D8. The harness plugs into there. Again, this is trailer tow prep meaning you need everything (makes sense right?!). If this was an 04 or earlier, it wouldn't even have that green plug and it would have to be wired additionally to the front of the pig.

Good luck to you...!Beep!
Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Adam Conrad
Advanced

I can personally attest to the fact you need everything as described by others
Don't forget that after you install all the bits, you will need to go to the dealer to enable the towing package via piwis
An aftermarket brake controller would also need to be wired in for a trailer with brakes
Good luck with taking that rear panel apart
It is a pain and takes time

Quick Reply: 1D8 Tow Option - '05 CTT - Any more info out there?!