Towing a UHaul Car Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 842 Likes on 517 Posts
Default Towing a UHaul Car Trailer

Well I decided to rent a UHaul trailer to tow my RSA to its first Auto-X. Made the reservation, which the UHaul online system which then redirects the reservation to the closest pick-up point (not necessarily the one you designate). Well, I though the experience was still worth the 45 min one way pick-up. The staff was friendly and helpful hooking up the trailer. They also helped me check all the lights and I was surprised that despite this being an LED trailer, there did not seem a problem with the lights or the display inside the Cayenne. Even the secondary turn indicator on the instrument panel worked. Cosmetically, the trailer was dirty and looked like a POS (I mean big POS).

Here is a picture of the "Rig":

Loading on these trailers is surprisingly far forward so I figured that this would be a good match for a rear engined car. I even measured the tongue weight of the loaded trailer with a bathroom scale and a cantilever set-up and it came out to a whooping 600 lbs! (but was still within limits).

I am not sure how anybody would ever be able to tow a front engine car with one of these. The tongue weight most be monstrous.

The GTS pulled like a charm and I kept within the speed limits. The empty trailer weighed about 2000 lbs and it felt heavy. The whole process felt a lot smoother with the car on it. Ample power with the GTS and no problems braking for the occasional idiot trying to squeeze in front of me coming up an on-ramp.

General impressions:

- I checked the brake lights again at home and "of course" the brake lights didn't work. I was pretty upset about this since the UHaul staff stated that they worked but there was absolutely nothing that could be done. Seems that UHaul LED trailers don't work with Cayennes.
- The trailer was dirty, rusty and looked like a POS
- The ramps are too steep to load a 911 without an ample supply of wood to lengthen it.

- There is not enough clearance for the front spoiler so I had to add a piece of wood to raise the front of the car:

In summary: An interesting experience but will not do it again because I don't trust the mechanicals of the trailer 100% and the LED brake light issue. I will try Hecht Trailers next time or simply buy my own.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 11-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:11 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
I checked the brake lights again at home and "of course" the brake lights didn't work. I was pretty upset about this since the UHaul staff stated that they worked but there was absolutely nothing that could be done. Seems that UHaul LED trailers don't work with Cayennes.
I've had the same problem with Uhaul trailers. I don't get it at all and I don't think anyone on here has had a way to fix that. Not exactly the safest situation having to turn the headlights on to simulate brakelights. Yikes...
Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 PM
mpd425
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get the led lights to work on the Cayenne you need an adapter with resistors built in to it.

Adapter
Old 11-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpd425
To get the led lights to work on the Cayenne you need an adapter with resistors built in to it.

Adapter
Did I buy the wrong one?

Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mpd425

Adapter
When using that adapter, I am assuming that you will no longer get a warning on the MFD if you lose a trailer light(s), since the embedded resistor tells the controller there is a (lighting) load, even if you lose all trailer lighting.

Also, it won't work if you have a trailer equipped with a 7 pin connector (not a 4-5, which are usually smaller trailers or surge brake trailers)

Or I could be wrong ...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:43 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Did I buy the wrong one?

That one probably does not have resistors embedded into the connector.
(in other words, for every vehicle in the world except a Cayenne/Touareg/Q7)

Easy enough to verify with a handheld DMM.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
wirunner
Pro

Ohhh it needs to be a special adapter?! (sarcasm) I did notice Uhaul sells one specifically for VW/Audi/Porsche on their website for around $30.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wirunner
Ohhh it needs to be a special adapter?! (sarcasm) I did notice Uhaul sells one specifically for VW/Audi/Porsche on their website for around $30.
I guess so. How would I possibly know?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wirunner
ok - just ordered the "special" adapter with the embedded resistor for $14.95 plus shipping. I'll post my experience with it when I get it.

... still learning
Old 11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

ok - just ordered the "special" adapter with the embedded resistor for $14.95 plus shipping. I'll post my experience with it when I get it.

... still learning
The Cayenne is a harsh teacher ...
Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
The Cayenne is a harsh teacher ...
Actually, so far so good. Lot's of useful info on this forum. Still trying to find out who "Larry" is (or was).....
Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

..Still trying to find out who "Larry" is (or was).....
Best to not go there...let sleeping dogs lie...have soome respect for the deceased...both Larry and his Cayenne were part of a murder/suicide, at least that's what I've heard, since the court documents were sealed after his death.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

The first 3 events we attended after taking delivery on my wife's Cayenne was with the help of UHAUL...

The LED lights, the weight, the condition of the trailers... etc What a nightmare!

After the first trip to LRP (same case NO lights) I picked up the adapter w/resister from Suncoast. 2nd trip (even with wood ramps) the HUGE standing ribs left a wonderful crease down the underside of the trunk, broke the body skirt and really P _ _ _ _ d me off.

3rd & Final time was not any better as the weight caused the truck to handle like CRAP!

Finally, went out an bought a Aluminum trailer....
Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Finally, went out an bought a Aluminum trailer....
It is indeed a slippery slope

Quick Reply: Towing a UHaul Car Trailer