Sponsored by:

2011 Turbo steering feel

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 2011 Turbo steering feel

i have had this 2011 Cayenne Turbo for a little over a month and have observed a difficult to describe 'grittyness' in the steering.

it's as though engine harshness is getting into the steering system, and is most evident a slow speeds (30-40mph), mid revs (~2000 rpm +/-), and off center, meaning a steering angle that requires assist.

it's not a noise. more of a feel.

i realize that Porsche have used electric assist, and perhaps this is a characteristic of that approach, or a characteristic of the location of the rack on the all-new '11? or the Turbo, because it seems like i'm feeling the engine...not a vibration but something engine-rev related. hard to describe.

i drove a second one, at my dealer, and it seemed to exhibit the same behavior, but i wasn't entirely sure.

i'm just getting to know the car/truck and i haven't run to dealer service on this..waiting a bit.

but it thought i'd ask here, to see if anyone else knows what i'm talking about or has had a similar experience...in a 2011. thanks
Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

further to my original post, and i still would love some feedback from other turbo owners:

i would now describe this as a sort of throttle-sensitive resonance, felt through the steering wheel/column, strongest or most noticeable in the 1500-1800 rpm range regardless of speed but v noticeable at 30-45mph...with or without steering input.

i have since gone out with a porsche tech and he verified this. and we also drove a non turbo v-8 (2011) and it doesn't do it.

after a day at the Porsche, they have driven another turbo and say that it does it more than mine. so they have declared this 'normal' until further notice.

anyone at all, with the new turbo, observing this?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:22 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steering feel in my '11 Turbo is fantastic. Incredible really for an "SUV". Smooth, linear and perfectly weighted. Did a six hour trip yesterday and it was great. Something is wrong with your car.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 AM
tcirillo
Instructor

thank you so much for your reply. anyone else?
Old 11-18-2010, 03:14 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Default update

i'll keep updating this in the hopes that others will weigh in on this, and maybe it will be helpful to someone who has a similar issue -

i just got it back from the dealer, again. they have begun the process of talking with PCNA about it because, as i've confirmed myself, they have other cars that do the same thing. in one case, a non-turbo.

at one point they suspected the PDCC system but found a car w/o PDCC that had the same 'resonance' as mine. so that's out.

they had it up in the air, running it through the rev range (1200-1800 mostly) but could find nothing apart from thinking that the sound (or harshness) is coming from the pump itself; but they are not sure.

but the overarching question is: does Porsche consider this normal/within spec?

tb continued.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:01 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm only into my second day with my Cayenne and so for nothing feels odd with the steering. Will report if that changes.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:29 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

thanks. which model do you have?

if you detect it, it will feel like a very light buzz(?) in the wheel, somewhat distant throttle related resonance, around 1800 rpm, but starts at about 1200. low speeds (30-40) in high gears make it more obvious.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:07 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by savyboy
The steering feel in my '11 Turbo is fantastic. Incredible really for an "SUV". Smooth, linear and perfectly weighted. Did a six hour trip yesterday and it was great. Something is wrong with your car.
Jesus Christ of latter day saints.........your signature line looks like a dealership lot........
Old 11-18-2010, 07:23 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by tcirillo
thanks. which model do you have?

if you detect it, it will feel like a very light buzz(?) in the wheel, somewhat distant throttle related resonance, around 1800 rpm, but starts at about 1200. low speeds (30-40) in high gears make it more obvious.
I have the base v6. I think I did notice it just now. I'll test on the drive home.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:56 PM
Canuck58
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same vibration issue with my 2011 Cayenne S. Vibration can be felt through the steering wheel and gas pedal from 1750-1900 RPM. It occurs in all gears but is worst in 8th gear at about 74-78 mph were it is really annoying. I typically have to put it in manual and go to 7th gear to get rid of it. My service guy at the dealership says he called PCNA and they have no reports of this problem. BS. BTW, this vibration has been reported in a couple of news and magazine reviews of the 2011 Cayenne S. Here is one:
http://www.freep.com/article/2010111...X8r9+s7uXwQ%3D

Mark Phelan stated "The drivetrain exhibited a small but noticeable vibration at about 1,850 r.p.m., however." I would not qualify the vibration in mine as small.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Canuck58
2nd Gear

Oh and there are lots of reports of the same kind of vibration in the V6 at about 3000RPM.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:14 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I have a new '11 CS and, like others have described, I feel a vibration in the steering wheel as the car accelerates. It is even more apparent on turns...

It's a little annoying, but it sounds like it's normal since others dewcribe the same thing. I've wondered if it's an intentional design feature to get the driver more 'feel' in what is otherwise an ultra smooth-as-glass driving experience, and one which is arguably more detached, than the prior Cayennes.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
jtpsocal
Instructor

I'm not 24 hours in to a new Cayenne Turbo but I think I know what your talking about- just felt it during slow speed turn in a parking lot...almost like a vibration and noise similar to some type of hydraulic motion but it wasnt smooth and linear like many power steering systems are now. If it continues I'm going to be all over it and will find the source....

update- I'm hearing a ticking sound from front right side during low speed wheel movement ...doesnt sound really great kind of annoying..I'm sure Porsche will say "its normal"

Last edited by jtpsocal; 12-01-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 PM
tcirillo
Instructor

Default more on this 'vibration'

i have been away and just checked back in here. my dealer has talked with porsche. i think that PNA know that something is wrong here, but there have been no official confirmations, nor a solution path.

i love the vehicle, so i'm going to stay patient and hope they sort it.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:24 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

After now driving 4500 miles in my '11 CS, I can identify the vibration in the steering wheel quite specifically-- I feel a vibration at EXACTLY 800 rpms, and then again at EXACTLY 1800 RPMs, in whatever gear I am driving in.

Put another way, if you are at a standing stop and slowly depress the throttle until the car is at 800 RPM and then stay at 800 for a few seconds as you slowly move forward you clearly will feel a clear and distinct vibration in the wheel. When you aaccelerate more quickly and "fly" past these two bench marks its not as noticible because the vibration comes and goes quickly. I think this is why people notice it more when they are turning becuase they are maintaining a slow speed, or fixed rpm, for a few seconds.

I'd be interested to know who is, and who isn't feeling this.... as I cam considering taking it up with the dealer when I go in for something else next week.... It's bothering me only because it feels like something is not quite right (although I did feel it on the other Cayenne I drove and others here seem to be experiencing the same thing).

Quick Reply: 2011 Turbo steering feel