Removing center pin Rear brakes 04 Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:53 PM
DonsBolt
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Removing center pin Rear brakes 04 Cayenne

Yo guys
A few of you may know me from some racing or other forums, using my same screen name here.

Went to replace the brakes on my brothers 04 Cayenee
the fronts went awesome thanks to medtech's write up on the front brakes. I also found this video which was pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOx4wnkLEy0
Thought some of you might get a kick out of it

I couldn't find much info on the rears, but it looked allmost like the front. So after I pulled off the rear wheel I took a look, saw the little cotter pin, pulled it out, and from what I saw it looked like you have to slide the pin in towards the center of the vehical. So I took a punch, and was able to get it to slide in till it got to the hole in the outer pad. From there no matter how hard I hit the punch it just wouldn't budge.

I assume it slides in towards the center of the vehical, but didn't want to damage anything so I just tapped it back into position, put the cotter pin back in, and put the wheel back on.

I sprayed each pin with some BP Blaster, going to let it soak till tomorrow, but wanted to ask you if I was doing it right, and if sometimes you have to really bang that pin to get it to come out.

Thanks
Don

---------------------------------------
Ten second 01 Lightning 635rwhp, 763 rwtq
77 Bromco 340 hp 302 5 speed 3.5 lift on 35's
Old 08-28-2010, 11:50 PM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thats great......thanks for the video, you will probably need some brake duster break up spray.........

you need to be replacing the hardware too because i hear issues like this occuring on dated hardware...

good luck.....spray a bunch on there
Old 08-29-2010, 12:06 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

The rear pins are a tight fit. It helps to compress the retainer spring down and then work the pin out.

As cordsig notes, if there is brakedust buildup, it will be very difficult to remove. I had to clean mine significantly to get them out.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 AM
DonsBolt
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice
I was pretty sure I was doing it the right way, but this was the first time I did these types of brakes. Figured better be safe, and ask rather than screwing up my brothers calipers.

My brother got cheep, bought all the parts except the pins, and the retainer springs. I just talked to him, told him to see if he can at least get a set of the pims, but in the meantime I will try to clean them, and see if they will come out.

He and his wife, who drives it are one of those people who really shouldn't own a vehical like this. They have no idea how to maintain a vehical. She has ripped off a mirror, got a dent on one of the rear doors, never cleans it. She had a flat tire last year, brought it to the dealer they put a new tire on it, but never put the spare back into the trunk. I was changing a taillight bulb a few months later, and noticed the spare was missing.

The dealer tried to deny it was them who lost the spare. They didn't want to replace the spare, untill I got involved. Once I talked to them, they looked around and found a spare for them.

But she is one of those fake boobed women, who care more about how she looks, and has to impress all her friends, and had to have a Cayenne
Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 PM
DonsBolt
Intermediate

All done
Letting the PB Blaster soak overnight, and a new home made tool to push the pin out, it was a peice of cake.

Sanded, cleaned, and coated the pins with some anti seaze went back together real easy.

Other than the pins being a little hrad to get out, I really like the design of these brakes. I wonder if anyone makes something like these that will fit inside a 15 inch wheel. They would sure wow down my big 35 inch tires on my Bronco
Old 08-29-2010, 06:45 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

How about some pics of the sister-in-law so we know what kind of women drive these things
Old 08-29-2010, 11:52 PM
DonsBolt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scott C
How about some pics of the sister-in-law so we know what kind of women drive these things
here ya go
but just the fake *****
Old 08-30-2010, 12:11 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nice!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:34 AM
cordsig79
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ah the old girl who grew up poor and hangs onto it in her mind via insecurity and requires an image. I have dated many of the skinny girls with no booty and big fakies............always wondered why we never made it.

I have some friends like this who are trying to get married. Husband has 0 job but says he is in real estate(I wouldnt ever say that in these times) and wife is a nurse, same MO. I rented them one of my homes and when I went to visit, I was shocked........they were like pack rats with a bunch of nothing..........nothing furniture wise matched, the house was a mess, I have been to garage sales with more organization and coordiantion.

The only thing they springed for was new clothes on from Nordstroms.....they really need a simple truck and honda that can take ice cream stains etc(they just leased a 7 series BMW).......

This is why I would never care if I rocked a big fake brietling( I own a real one), drove a fiero kit lambo, and landed some chick like that.................when she finds out and gets mad its not real........just blame it on her nails, hair color, and chesticles......

I am being deeply sarcastic if anyone was offended............

Quick Reply: Removing center pin Rear brakes 04 Cayenne