Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 Cayenn S resets before start - ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 12:48 AM
DutchCS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 04 Cayenn S resets before start - ideas?

Long time lurker now posting in search of wisdom...

My 04 S is showing its age and like any good car out of warranty - falling apart.

The pipes and cardan shaft were easy enough to sort but this problem has me stumped:

About 20% of the time when trying to start the Cayenne lately it will balk - starter will not turn over and all goes dim. Sometimes two or three times in a row. The car resets itself (clock to 0:00, all settings to default etc) and then will start. The AC takes a minute or two to come on as well.

Really frustrating..any idea where to start on this?

your $.02 is appreciated.

Thanks!

tried to search this but did not find anything - point me in the right direction if it has been discussed before
Old 08-20-2010, 08:39 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

A failing battery can do this in hot weather -- also a replacement battery with lower CCA can do this in hot weather.

How old is the the battery. Did you recently put an aftermarket battery in the car?Nothing wrong with an aftermarket battery as long as its correct.

You could also have a bad connection in the starter circut or a failing starter that is pulling too many amps. A simple charging/ starter load test should be able to tell if it is on of the above.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Dutch,

I agree, I would start with having the battery checked out or just replaced it if it's getting old.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you have the two battery option (since you're getting it started; plus the AC coming on later symptom). The primary battery under the driver's seat has checked out, but perhaps replacing both would be wise. The aux is under the sub in the trunk.

My old beta used to do the exact same thing, but I never bothered replacing the battery. Actually, your picture looks like my old beta - did you buy that recently??
Old 08-21-2010, 05:44 AM
DutchCS
Intermediate

Thanks guys - sounds logical once you see it in print

Battery is still stock so yeah that makes sense

wirunner- nope not recent - original owner ;-)
Old 08-22-2010, 07:05 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

10 to 1 it was the primary battery...my Varga gave out after 6 years but the car would start on the auxiliary after 2 or 3 turns on the key (must be a relay in there somewhere)....
Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 PM
DutchCS
Intermediate

sourcing the battery was no problem - getting the 10mm triple square is another story.
Autozone, Pep Boys, Advance, Sears all no go - even the 3 local NAPA stores don't carry it.

Ordered a decent set on-line - so much for supporting local shops and having an impromptu Sunday afternoon wrenching session with your car...
Old 08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

yeah....even my battery supplier didn't have one....had to bring it home and install it myself....that tool came in handy for something I can't remember

Quick Reply: 04 Cayenn S resets before start - ideas?