Old 08-07-2010, 07:34 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts
Talking SharkWerks Cayenne Bypass Exhaust Release

Hey folks, I just wanted to show what we've been working on for the 955 and 957 Cayenne models (2004-2010).

We are often asked for exhaust options for the Cayenne, and often times we are asked for a "sporty" solution that is not too loud. Usually owners also want to reduce the back pressure somewhat, especially on Turbo models.

Removing the OEM secondary catalytic converters seems to be the key to achieving both of these goals at a reasonable price. The primary cats are efficient enough to keep the emissions levels very low on these vehicles, and the horsepower benefits are significant.

Here's the OEM secondary cats, removed from a 2009 Cayenne Turbo:

And the honeycomb guts of the cat, where the exhaust restriction occurs:

The simplest approach was to replace these secondary cats with straight pipes. Using stainless steel and a CNC mandrel tube bender, we created a single-piece, high-flow tube to take its place. We created an analog to the OEM system that still uses OEM-sized diameter tubing and a factory fit flange for installation.

We also made an extra effort to use the OEM catalyst mounts by designing compatible hangers.

We have found that when bypassing these catalytic converters, a lack of OEM-positioned hangers can lead to vibration, rattling, contact with chassis, and extra stress on the primary cats in front of the system. It can also cause the muffler and pipes at the rear of the car to rattle. In other words, these hangers are critical to the entire exhaust system's operation.

Weighing the OEM system:

Total weight: 28.46 lbs.

Weighing the Shark Werks Cayenne bypass system:

Total weight: 10.38 lbs.

A side benefit is the weight savings of around 18 lbs.

The system also includes OEM Porsche exhaust gaskets to replace on the vehicle. The typical installation time is between 1.5 to 2-hours. This is the one of the easiest ways to make a Cayenne, S, or Turbo model sound a bit sportier while adding some horsepower.

Summary:
- Increased horsepower and better throttle response
- Sporty, more aggressive sounding exhaust
- Reduced turbo lag on "Turbo" and "Turbo S" models
- Weight savings of around 18 lbs (10 lbs, versus 28 lbs with OEM system)
- No "Check Engine" lights

For more check out our product page:
http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.php?pid=270

And if you have any questions just Email me to alex@sharkwerks.com
Old 08-07-2010, 09:23 PM
novat_99
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would these fit a 2009 Cayenne V6?
Old 08-07-2010, 09:36 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sharky, I took your bypasses off of my 05 Turbo truck and put them on my 09 Turbo truck. Have not noticed any rattles, just increased outside exhaust note.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice...Alex: Do you have a dyno graph and a sound clip ?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
cayenneturbo
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My only question is why so much? $695, really? Fabspeeds are $580, so an extra $85 for hangers. I just don't understand why a bent pipe with hangers cost so much regardless if mandrel bent. I have wanted to try this but can't justify spendng that much for sound and loss of HP. I would really like to know what profit margin is on these items, i am guess 3-400%. If I had the time I would a set and take down to one the tons of exhuast shops here in Phoenix to have them replicate for probably 1/3 of the price.

I'm sorry it is just this overpriceing because we own a Porsche is just infuriating.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:07 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cayenneturbo
My only question is why so much? $695, really? Fabspeeds are $580, so an extra $85 for hangers. I just don't understand why a bent pipe with hangers cost so much regardless if mandrel bent. I have wanted to try this but can't justify spendng that much for sound and loss of HP. I would really like to know what profit margin is on these items, i am guess 3-400%. If I had the time I would a set and take down to one the tons of exhuast shops here in Phoenix to have them replicate for probably 1/3 of the price.

I'm sorry it is just this overpriceing because we own a Porsche is just infuriating.
Hi Cayenneturbo, it might well seem like just two pipes but there's actually a good bit more to it than that. There's other costs such as prototyping, flanges, welding, new hardware, gaskets, shipping supplies, testing etc... Nobody sells the exact pipes you need... The two pipes aren't the same either. I can promise you that if you did go to a place and try to make your own you'd be surprised at how much it actually ends up being. We're not exactly making a significant margin or anything. The main reason was indeed to have hangers which you'll see are on the stock ones that you remove. They're very much integral to holding the entire exhaust in place For sure if you do have the time take yours off and see how much it'd be because I'm guessing you'll be surprised Also there's no power loss with these either... You might actually find it cheaper/easier to gut your secondary cats if you wan to try something like that.
Originally Posted by malmasri
Nice...Alex: Do you have a dyno graph and a sound clip ?
Will do shortly yes
Originally Posted by pdxjim
Sharky, I took your bypasses off of my 05 Turbo truck and put them on my 09 Turbo truck. Have not noticed any rattles, just increased outside exhaust note.
Roger that... there will be some stress placed on the primary cats over time without hangers;(
Originally Posted by novat_99
Would these fit a 2009 Cayenne V6?
Sadly not no.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cayenneturbo
My only question is why so much? $695, g.
There was an interesting thread on this topic on another forum recently. For roughly $150 guys were getting a nice set made by a local muffler shop.

I'm sure these Sharkwerks ones are nice pieces. I just see very complex custom exhausts for other makes that are much cheaper. So I often wonder about the porsche mark up.

Im all for manufacturers making money and understand that the volume of sales of these might not be as high as some other makes. Just interesting when the perception of the cost comes up a lot on certain products.

Last edited by Cole; 08-09-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

To me it is simple: If you do not like the price..do not buy...the seller not the buyer determines what to pay...
If Sharwerks is making a hefty margin so be it....It allows them to innovate rather than mass produce and dicount, and we like that..Actually the price on this bypass is very low compared to the GT3/RS bypass and they have sold it to most owners of these cars.
How much do you pay for a swiss mechanical high end watch or Microsoft office or the new OS??????
No need to hit Alex on the head..just do not buy
Old 08-09-2010, 02:29 PM
CDH-CTT
Racer

Sharkster,

I removed the muffler from my CTT already an I really like the way it sounds... if i were to do the cat by-passes how much louder would it get??
Old 08-09-2010, 03:08 PM
is.deleon
Track Day

nice product guys, looks good!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:06 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH-CTT
Sharkster,

I removed the muffler from my CTT already an I really like the way it sounds... if i were to do the cat by-passes how much louder would it get??
I can answer that one for ya.
Really fookin loud!! Like an Austin Martin Vanquish Racecar. Like a V8 with straight pipes. Like a noise ticket within 48 hours loud. Or approx twice as loud.

BTW, Alex
Thanks for putting these together. I have been bitchin for a long time about the Fabspeeds and the fact that they don't even include hangers. How they could consider that unneccessary is beyond me. It doesn't take an engineer to look at that length of heavy exhaust and know that it needs some support. Plus everyone that buys them bitches about the rattle. Duh, it's just sittin there swingin in the breeze, course it's gonna rattle.

Prior to this our only option was Cargraphic, but after the exchange rate, they are even more expensive.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:48 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 sound clip.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:00 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
+1 sound clip.
Roger that and we've got a few coming in over the next couple of weeks. One of our customers on the east coast actually made a clip from his 2006 CTT S so I'll try and get that going once I return from tuning the GT3 in Arizona
Originally Posted by medtech
BTW, Alex
Thanks for putting these together. I have been bitchin for a long time about the Fabspeeds and the fact that they don't even include hangers. How they could consider that unneccessary is beyond me. It doesn't take an engineer to look at that length of heavy exhaust and know that it needs some support. Plus everyone that buys them bitches about the rattle. Duh, it's just sittin there swingin in the breeze, course it's gonna rattle.

Prior to this our only option was Cargraphic, but after the exchange rate, they are even more expensive.
No worries and sorry it took so long It's been a pet peeve of Dan/James/mine for some time just haven't been able to get around to it! The Exchange rate made those ones in the $900 range plus shipping
Originally Posted by is.deleon
nice product guys, looks good!
Thank you!
Originally Posted by CDH-CTT
Sharkster,

Well two ways to answer that question... Firstly I saw the words, "I already like the way it sounds...". When I see that I'm just being honest but I'd say don't change it Second, we've done a few of those set ups before where the customer has had a Tubi, Cargraphic etc... and then bypass pipes. In my mind it certainly goes up a few notches in the loud department and we've got a few videos of that type of thing here in our cayenne projects section:
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/cayenn...turbo-turbo-s/

If you want to try it (you'll reduce lag and get some power gains) and for some reason don't like it I'm fine to take it back etc... but check out the videos first. I don't know which exhaust you were thinking of combining it with either
Old 08-12-2010, 11:53 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Guys, the hangers are a absolute MUST for the pipes. Also these pipes are ultra high quality. The price may seem high but how many of these do you think Sharkwerks will sell...no matter the price...to Cayenne owners....especially compared to the amount of Cayenne's out on the road? Very very small amount will be sold, so Sharkwerks can not mass produce these in order to lower costs. These pipes are more of a ultra high end properly designed and built piece for your Cayenne....also much cheaper than after market mufflers if you want to look at it that way too.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks Mike and here's a video clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m3yml1Oc3U

Quick Reply: SharkWerks Cayenne Bypass Exhaust Release