Sponsored by:

Rusty Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty Nuts

Anyone with rusty lug nuts on their pig?

Mine has rusty exhaust tips too.

Have an appointment this week to have the rear hatch button/mechanism looked at, might as well tack this on too. I assume these items will be covered under warranty.

Last edited by 00Jay; 08-05-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I paint mine with anti-seize when re-installing bolts.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:44 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Jay, are you talking actual rust (brown iron oxide in color) or do you mean "oxidation" (whitish matting)?

Do you park in your home garage?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 AM
00Jay
Instructor

Andy,
Actual rust/brown iron oxide in color. Purchased my car last month as a CPO and park it in a garage, but just recently noticed the rust (on the lug nuts) after switching out my 18s for 20" Sport Technos. Upon further inspection of the exhaust tips, the very edges of them are showing a brownish/orange tinge to them. This is especially surprising to me since I assume that the tips are made of stainless steel. Being somewhat familiar with metals, I doubt that Porsche would use anything less than type 316 SS?

Did a little research on my vehicle too. It was purchased from Porsch of North Scottsdale and the original owner took it up to Colorado and had at least 1 service done by a Porsche dealer up there before heading back to AZ. I assume the car has experienced a couple of Colorado winters....
Old 08-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 00Jay
I assume the car has experienced a couple of Colorado winters....
That would make sense. Salt is unforgiving as I'm not looking forward to exposing my truck to our salt-infested roads up here in Quebec this winter.

I initially thought that the only culprit to premature corrosion (living in a dry climate such as AZ) may have been the storage of open chemical products with chlorinated vapors within the closed garage.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:17 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Porsche of North Scottsdale have refused to provide / CPO warranty new lug nuts for me. Makes my brand new Sport Technos look kind of funny with orange showing inside the lug holes.

Last edited by 00Jay; 08-18-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Bummer.

It's stuff like this that bothers me with PAG as well as most German mfrs. If it was a Lexus or an Acura, they would have replaced them w/o blinking an eye.

Some time ago, my wife's 4-year old ML320 started showing tiny rust blossoms on the roof towards the rear hatch. The SA told me that it was due to stone chips. When I asked him how he thought that stones could jump up from the road and fall hard on the rear part of the roof, he just shrugged and walked away. Funny how the front end didn't have any....
Old 08-19-2010, 12:39 AM
00Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Andy E.
Bummer.

It's stuff like this that bothers me with PAG as well as most German mfrs. If it was a Lexus or an Acura, they would have replaced them w/o blinking an eye.

Some time ago, my wife's 4-year old ML320 started showing tiny rust blossoms on the roof towards the rear hatch. The SA told me that it was due to stone chips. When I asked him how he thought that stones could jump up from the road and fall hard on the rear part of the roof, he just shrugged and walked away. Funny how the front end didn't have any....
lol, nice; It's hard to ignore visual items like rust spots....it should be embarrassing for a manufacture like Porsche or MB to have that problem given the amount of technology and available metals/plastics to keep things like that from happening. Our Super Duty Ford's at work which have been in service for 5 years have never had rust problems, and that's with some pretty harsh winters spent in Colorado and New Mexico.

I wish I could say our local Lexus dealer is a pleasure to deal with, but they overlook warranty items on my wife's GS 300 as well.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
I paint mine with anti-seize when re-installing bolts.
You want to be careful with that, anti-seize impacts your torque figures. I would drop the torque value by at least 5 lbs on your lug nuts.

I use just a slight dab on my lug nuts.

Quick Reply: Rusty Nuts