Sponsored by:

Replacing Wheels/Tires with OEM 20" - Warranty Issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 01:12 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Wheels/Tires with OEM 20" - Warranty Issues

I'm thinking about ordering some OEM 20" Sport Technos to replace my stock 18" wheels and tires on a 08 CS. I have 1 year, 8 months left on my factory warranty and 2 years after that on Porsche certified warranty.

The Technos will come from a 3rd party but are indeed OEM, as well as a brand new set of tires that will be Porsche approved.

I do NOT want to void my warranty. Should I have the dealer install the wheels and tires? I'd rather not pay a premium on labor.

I know the best answer will probably be "ask your dealer", but what do you guys think?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 909 Posts

I'd be shocked if OEM 20" wheels with N-spec tires would void your warranty, no matter who installed them.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:25 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't see why that would be an issue as long as they're not damaged and don't ruin something else.

On wheels that large, I typically would only have the dealer put them on. Many of the "cheaper" shops (including goodyear, sears, etc) often don't have roadforce balance equip or equip to handle 20" wheels to begin with (or the local store won't in my experience). All to save $20 or so...not to mention some dealers may give you a free alignment/check since your pig is under warranty (I did from my dealer when I had them put new tires on, which weren't even n spec).
Old 07-12-2010, 01:28 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'd be shocked if OEM 20" wheels with N-spec tires would void your warranty, no matter who installed them.
Originally Posted by wirunner
Don't see why that would be an issue as long as they're not damaged and don't ruin something else.

On wheels that large, I typically would only have the dealer put them on. Many of the "cheaper" shops (including goodyear, sears, etc) often don't have roadforce balance equip or equip to handle 20" wheels to begin with (or the local store won't in my experience). All to save $20 or so...not to mention some dealers may give you a free alignment/check since your pig is under warranty (I did from my dealer when I had them put new tires on, which weren't even n spec).
Agreed. If it's a matter of an extra $20-$100, I'll gladly pay the dealer to put them on. Maybe I should order the wheels/tires separate? Have the dealer mount and balance them?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:42 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My dealer didn't have the Hunter and did an awful job balancing my 20s both times. So find out first if your dealer has the equipment.

I found a shop around NY that had the Hunter and they've been doing it since.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:47 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
My dealer didn't have the Hunter and did an awful job balancing my 20s both times. So find out first if your dealer has the equipment.

Enigma, did you go with OEMs or aftermarket? What kind of tire did you go with? How is the ride compared to your old wheels/tires?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had aftermarkets, and never had any warranty issues.

I've had P-Zero all seasons, which I didn't like and have been using Michelin Latitude Tour HP. I think I'm on my third set and no complaints so far.

I honestly don't remember how the 18s feel, because it's been 3 years since I've made the switch.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:14 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn

Agree with any shop, make sure they have the latest Hunter high speed roadforce balancing equipment.

Jay, unless your dealer is offering competitive prices, I'd buy the tires online personally from TireRack or Discount Tires. Much cheaper. And I'd also skip the n-spec tires unless you're dead set on it. The P!g doesn't need expensive tires to be happy...
Old 07-12-2010, 05:29 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just an FYI on the warranty issue.

Magnuson Moss Warranty act

You could put wooden wagon wheels on the Cayenne from "fly by night" industries. The only warranty work they could deny is damage caused directly by that wheel and the burden of proof is on them.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by wirunner
Agree with any shop, make sure they have the latest Hunter high speed roadforce balancing equipment.

Jay, unless your dealer is offering competitive prices, I'd buy the tires online personally from TireRack or Discount Tires. Much cheaper. And I'd also skip the n-spec tires unless you're dead set on it. The P!g doesn't need expensive tires to be happy...
Noted.

Originally Posted by Cole
Just an FYI on the warranty issue.

Magnuson Moss Warranty act

You could put wooden wagon wheels on the Cayenne from "fly by night" industries. The only warranty work they could deny is damage caused directly by that wheel and the burden of proof is on them.
Agreed. Problem is (and my wife can vouch for this as an attorney for auto/insurance industry), the burden of proof is on them, but the initial attorney fees/my time will not be worth it to fight something like this. That's not to say I think it's a bad idea to do aftermarket wheels/tires, but I just don't want to chance it. I was lucky enough to get a late build 08 CS as well; keeping that warranty in check keeps the wife and my bank account happy.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:18 PM
ALSHUBCAPS.COM
5th Gear

just because a dealer has roadforce doesn't mean they really know how to use it. I have been told by my Hunter tech that dealers usually don't have the full training needed for the correct way on the machine

Quick Reply: Replacing Wheels/Tires with OEM 20" - Warranty Issues