Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How cheap can I be in spec'ing a new Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default How cheap can I be in spec'ing a new Cayenne?

Trying not to sell the house to get into a Cayenne. Just how close to bare bones "base" would current owners recommend? In other words, what are the "MUST HAVE" options?

I need:
Heated seats
Dimming mirrors
Good headlights (are the base lights xenon? not sure I need PDLS)
Some sort of park control (is camera, worth it?)

Worth it?
PASM (I have it on my Cayman S but do I need it on an SUV?)
Multi function steering wheel (Is it physically different than base wheel?)

Number crunching.

Thanks for the advice!

1973 BMW 2002tii
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Trying not to sell the house to get into a Cayenne. Just how close to bare bones "base" would current owners recommend? In other words, what are the "MUST HAVE" options?

I need:
Heated seats
Dimming mirrors

Worth it?
I'm sure you've been to porscheusa.com and checked out the "build your own" section. Anyway, heated seats and dimming mirrors are extra cost. Standard headlights are not Xenon but are good nonetheless. I have both the park sensors and reversing camera and like the combination a lot. You can order them seperately but keep in mind that if you want the reversing camera you must also order PCM with Nav which will affect your budget.

PASM is great, especially in combo with the other suspension options but it's not absolutely necessary if you're looking to cut corners. I have all 4 suspension tweaks (PASM, Air Suspension, PDCC, and PTV) but I actually think the under-appreciated gem for the price is PTV. What it does for steering response by tweaking the rear brakes entering a turn is very impressive. The multi-function wheel is standard on all models.

If you haven't played with the configurator on the Porsche web site I suggest you do. There are option packages which can save you quite a bit over ordering ala carte, but it's easy to see all the goodies and decide your budget needs to be expanded. Good luck!
Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy crap.

I thought you were building a spec race Cayenne. I would love to take it around a track.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
dochusar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That depends on what you consider essential. I live in the Northeast and for me a heated steering wheel is essential, and I really learned to appreciate the multifunction steering wheel in my 911. After test driving the truck, I saw there were many blind spots and knew that a rearview camera was essential. Heated seats for a SUV is also essential as well as an automatic transmission. There are option packages that reduce the cost of individual options, the Bose stereo package gives you the better stereo and the Premium package gets you most of what you want with servotronic steering, dimming mirrors and PLDS. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:02 PM
pg103
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Dochusar. To get what you need, you should get a premium package. See Rijowysock forum for more helpful info
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...immensely.html

I think without any upgraded wheels, you'll come out 60K with destination charge. Hope this help
Old 05-24-2011, 11:11 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks guys! Good info.

I'll check the links and keep building Cayenne's!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB

I need:
Heated seats
Dimming mirrors

Worth it?

Number crunching.

Thanks for the advice!

1973 BMW 2002tii
A: you can put your cars in "signature" under "USERcP" on left

B: you can build a 48k cayenne if you wish

C: mine is a 52,170 which after MSRP increase was 53,170 and it's perfect for me.. and im actually currently debating selling to order a 2012 model (still bare bones but different colo combination)

D: heated seats $525 ($1050 with rears as well)
Dimming mirrors $420
Good headlights? (the standard headlights are more than superb imo)
park control is maybe needed, just gets expensive 1000/1750.. i have almost backed into a pole but saw it prior.
PASM (might as well get Air susp IMO)
multifunction is standard, the three spoke is the optional and you get the same controls but they are placed in an additional stalk on the bottom right.

i would suggest the "servotronic steering" if your building a base.. i really like the servo, getting thru my garage with it is a breeze..

E: to me the must have options were the black trim ($150), the servotronic steering ($270), the automatic transmission ($3000)... the rest is up in the air based on need... i personally didnt need much of anything else so only checked a few more boxes..

on my 2012 i want blue interior which means a $4000 check box (ouch)
Old 05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
nsfw
5th Gear

The "bare bones" I'm thinking of is:

v6 + Tiptronic + electric roll-up sunblind(infant) + PCM + S III Wheel(maybe?) + Sevotronic + 14 way seats. $58.6k MSRP

Wish List: Two tone adds $4k(ouch), PDLS, roof rails. The value proposition on these three is pretty poor. This reminds me of how McDonalds success is not from selling burgers, but from selling fries and sodas. The profit margin on the burger tends to be near zero. Probably the same story on the base model. Of course no one actually just orders a bare bones car and throws in another 15-50% in high margin options. (This message brought to you by Captain Obvious)
Old 05-25-2011, 02:27 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When it comes to resale, as someone who was just shopping for a used Cayenne, I think you can be pretty cheap. There was hardly any price difference between high-spec cars and those with low spec. Mileage was the real determining factor it seemed after looking at hundreds of classified ads.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I have the chance to have a loaded one, but if you ask me after 4 years and more than 60k miles later which option brings the highest "smile by mile", I have no hesitation : air suspension.
..But, I'm sure we are all diferent !
Old 05-26-2011, 11:52 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

must haves for me: sport steering wheel (#1 favorite option), automatic, heated seats, park assistance if you park in tight spaces regularly (don't need camera with included bird's eye view), nav, roof rails or trailer hitch in case you need to haul more stuff, i don't have but really like the bigger wheels people are posting.

It's tempting for some to turn their cayenne into big 911's but if you already have a cayman and want to keep the cost low than, build it out like an suv . . . except add the sport steering wheel
Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by daddyscar
must haves for me: sport steering wheel (#1 favorite option)
Love the look and feel of the sport steering wheel too.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 PM
dkb111
1st Gear

Hi, what is 'sport steering wheel'. Is it 'heated 3spoke, multifunction steering wheel'?
Regards
Old 05-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by dkb111
Hi, what is 'sport steering wheel'. Is it 'heated 3spoke, multifunction steering wheel'?
Regards
It's the same paddle shift sport wheel that comes in the Carrera. Thicker, different shaped rim, center top stitching, aluminum look spokes no heat or multifunction buttons. It's a no-cost option to the standard multifunction wheel. (Heat on the standard MF wheel is a $250 option) BTW, the additional stalk on the lower right handles the same stuff as the MF buttons when you get the sport wheel.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mike in CA; 05-28-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 PM
KS-CS
Racer

Default Re: back-up camera

I think the parking sensor option is a very good idea, since the vis out the back window is very limited. As for the back-up camera - I was kind of disappointed that it doesn't have the distance/tracking line indicators that I've seen on other back-up cameras. I would consider it optional since I find myself just relying on the aural proximity warnings most of the time anyway.

Quick Reply: How cheap can I be in spec'ing a new Cayenne?