Sponsored by:

Right Directional Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:45 PM
pigcorn
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Right Directional Bulb

1 day after the great folks at Manhattan Motorcars "fixed" my right Xenon headlamp, my right directional bulb has failed and I quick an error and a quick paced directional arrow on the dash when I use the directional.

What part do I order and how difficult is the install to replace the bulb? My wife said to bring it back to Manhattan Porsche but I am sure they will claim no fault...
Old 07-03-2010, 10:54 PM
pigcorn
Advanced

Update. Turns out my light bulb is fine but I get an error saying "check directional"
Old 07-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Bill Lucas
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing started hapening to me a couple of days ago. It resets when the car is shut down and restarted and works fine. It's happened twice to me.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:48 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the headlamp unit and then push it back in firmly the used the tool to lock it

I have also cured it by banging the headlamp unit and by taking out the turn signal bulb and cleaning it's contacts
Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 AM
pigcorn
Advanced

It is straight forward to take out the headlamp unit?
Old 07-05-2010, 09:17 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pigcorn
It is straight forward to take out the headlamp unit?
Yes, there is even a tool in your spare hatch to "unlock" the unit. The cap that covers the lock is under the hood. Remove cap and insert tool. Turn it and your headlight unit will start to slide forward, then just pull the entire unit straight forward and out.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 PM
pigcorn
Advanced

Thanks I took a look and easy enough to pop the cap. Not sure what tool it is I assume one of the allen type keys that I see next to the spare.

Biggest concern before I try is that I don;t want to risk misaligning the main lamp headlight which is what caused the "dipped beam" error in the first place.

Should I be more confident that won't happen?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:20 PM
tundraphile
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tool looks like a long tube with an allen key attached to it through a hole on the top of the tube. Sort of the shape of a J in the tool area. The opposite end has a hex shape (10mm?).

There is an access hole under the hood next to the light. You stick the tool down on the hex and turn CCW. The headlight will be unlocked and pushed slightly toward you.

I had this problem soon after getting mine this spring. After changing the bulb a couple of times what I did was clean the socket for the turn signal bulb and *carefully* depress the thin metal contacts with a pick in the headlight unit and the receptacle in the car to maintain good electrical contact. It seems over time this slight spring pressure on each contact can get a little slack and you wind up with an intermittent connection. I then put silicone grease (aka bulb grease) sparingly on the connectors and bulb.

When you reassemble look at how the cam lock contacts the headlight unit and get an approximate location where you think it should end up when locked by the position of the tool. When you insert the unit there is no way to see the locking mechanism and at least on mine you don't have much feel whether it is really locked or not. On mine there were two large "pops" as the locking unit snapped in place. Everything with the lock seems a bit spindly so I was worried about breaking it. Go too far and something will crack, not far enough and you risk the headlight falling out after a big bump.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:07 PM
pigcorn
Advanced

Thank you very much. I re-seated the directional bulb and now it works with no warning light. I will see what happens as time goes by.

One thing I did notice is that one of the two plastic fins on the bottom of the headlight unit was broken off by the service guys at Manhattan Motorcars.

I was able to slide it back in and it clicked on just the one support fin but I guess I will see what happens.

Thank you

Quick Reply: Right Directional Bulb