Sponsored by:

New 2011 Cayenne Turbo Pictures from Champion Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 02:07 AM
SnakeBitten
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscifres
5. Driving Impressions: I do not own the outgoing model, but have driven the V6, S and GTS models, quite a bit. Something about this new model didn't feel as athletic as the outgoing model. I took a back to back test drive of two Cayenne S models (one 2010 and one 2011 - roughly the same tire size) on the freeway, etc... and I just came away a little underwhelmed with the 2011. Maybe it was the transmission, which didn't hold lower gears like the old model when my driving turned aggressive or when I entered turns. Maybe it was my seating position, which has enormous amounts of room, but didn't feel as sporting nor offer the same perfect visibility as the 2010. Maybe it was the steering feel, which felt slightly disconnected and less Porsche-like to me (granted, I drove to the dealer in my 911). Overall, the 2010 model just felt more aggressive to me and interestingly, the salesman (who I've known for years and he knows I have no interest in the outgoing model) revealed that I was not nearly alone in that assessment. Oddly, I came away feeling like the 2011 vehicle GAINED 500 lbs. Sure, the acceleration and roadholding specs will probably be better than the outgoing model... but I'm reminded of how a Lexus LS460 gets to 60mph in 5.7 seconds, but doesn't FEEL nearly as good as my old 1996 Camaro Z28 (~ same 0-60 time) did in getting there.
That's quite the interesting review. I couldn't disagree more. Now that I've thrown around my CTT and a 2011 CTT (Just breaking it in ) I'd say the newest model is a large improvement. The new torque vectoring technology and suspension tuning is amazing and truly makes my CTT feel bloated.

The transmission is definitely geared towards economy unless it is in sport mode, where it does its job beautifully. I also believe that with time the transmission will adapt to your personal driving style and be slightly less eager to storm all the way to 8th gear.

Most importantly, I praise the lord that the atrocious turbo lag has been minimized. My CTT annoys the crap out of me sometimes with its palpable hesitation/turbo lag.

As far as looks go, neither of these models are lookers; I definitely prefer the 2011 though. The front of the previous-gen Cayenne is ugly as sin, the rear of the new one reminds of the Lexus RX. I like its lean looks though.. Some of you may like the chunky looks first gen, but I think my CTT looks like it needs to cut down on the all you can eat breakfast buffet.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1
The new car is a quantum leap ahead. The S is almost at the level of of the 05 CTT (it has 50HP less and 500 lbs less weight).... and that is without putting it in sport mode.

800 miles in one week and loving it. And the Navi is superb, hasn't "lost" me yet!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:09 PM
jscifres
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
That's quite the interesting review. I couldn't disagree more. Now that I've thrown around my CTT and a 2011 CTT (Just breaking it in ) I'd say the newest model is a large improvement. The new torque vectoring technology and suspension tuning is amazing and truly makes my CTT feel bloated.
I'm sure a Turbo with the torque vectoring system (TVS) is a lot better than a base S model without the TVS. From what I hear, the TVS is THE option to get.

Again, it may have been my seating position and the steering feel which I was disappointed in... that, and I rarely drive in sport mode, so I didn't have that selected during the test drive to improve the gearing.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:15 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

The lens the photog used for the pictures has a ton of pincushion effect to it and it is really distorting the photo's a lot and making the car look horrible.

In person the new Cayenne looks really good and sleek.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:57 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 537 Posts

I saw the s and Turbo today and agree that they look much better in person. Also, the interior is very nice. The black plastic around the wheel arch doesn't look too bad and it actually appears to take up some of the space that is left between the tire and wheel arch on the previous variant (which has always bugged me ) I'm considering another V6 as my DD.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:46 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Having just seen it in person, I'm warming up to it... next will be a test drive. That'll be the real barometer for me.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:58 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Having just seen it in person, I'm warming up to it... next will be a test drive. That'll be the real barometer for me.
Put it in "sport mode" and hit some curvy roads....It's wicked and very addicting.....Feels much more 911 like with the new wheel and cockpit...

Non-sport mode feels very refined. (Matbe too refined, but good for commuting)

Quick Reply: New 2011 Cayenne Turbo Pictures from Champion Porsche