Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by heypete
Personally, this new model looks awful. I'd choose my 06 turbo over it any day... The rear tail lights, rear spoiler (wtf?) are uggggly. The car looks a lot less "mean" overall
Wrong answer ... see post # 27 above.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by heypete
Personally, this new model looks awful. I'd choose my 06 turbo over it any day... The rear tail lights, rear spoiler (wtf?) are uggggly. The car looks a lot less "mean" overall
Looks kinda like an Acura... no?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to my eye. But the headlights in the photos by nicu, do remind me of Mini....

Old 06-22-2010, 01:39 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 31 Posts

spent some time looking at a turbo last sunday...i confess, i like most everything porsche does from the get go simply by default. have to say not feeling the sheet metal, seems busy and less simple. i remember a quote from Harm Lagaay not too long ago regarding porsche design language in general, explaining how important it is for the fenders to be taller than the hood from the drivers view, i remember thinking how true that was. not so on the new cayenne. no doubt it's better in every way and aesthetic discussion always a slippery slope in subjectiveness, but i hope this direction doesn't trickle down to the next 911.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You guys are really going to stir up the Cayenne faithful with all of this apparent lack of love for the latest P!g.

Regarding Harm Lagaay, I remember him being quoted as saying the 968 was the most beautiful Porsche he ever designed.

And yes, being able to see the fenders above the hood has always been a Porsche design feature/trademark.

Cayenne and beautiful just don't seem to go together with this latest facelift.

Then again, I'm not really entitled to an opinion.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

the thing is boring as hell from the outside.the gts blows it away by far
Old 06-23-2010, 09:00 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really looked a couple over last night at the dealer.

A few observations:

1. The interior is much improved, except the upward angled grab handles on the doors make it look very "busy"..probably a minor point.

2. The rear sucks...I felt this after seeing it at the car show in NY; It looked somewhat better on the Turbo I saw last night, but I think that might have to do with the fact that it was a black car, had sportier tail pipes and was sitting lower.

3. The standard interior has black plastic trim on the doors and dash...you almost have to order alum trim ($1000), or some kind of wood (even more $) or else you are really taking away from the interior look. The alu is std on the turbo and looks really nice. Also, the fenders look much less pronounced when sitting in the car and looking out the windshield. I didn't like that.

4. The roof carryng system is much more expensive and not as cool looking (imo) compared to the prior gen Cayenne.

5. The steering wheel (leather) is a huge improvement.

6. Full leather is really nice, as expected, but w/o leather, the dash looks much better than the crappy elephant skin on the prior cayenne. I'd much prefer the leather, but I could at least live with this.

7. The options seem more expensive on this than the previous version. I can't seem to spec one for less than $80k, and my 2006 was only $72 with similar stuff.

8. A base turbo with no options seems like a relative bargain because it comes with everything I want std (and then some), like leather, Xenons, Nav, Sat, Bose, Pasm, Alcantara headliner... Not sure, however, if I want to spend 100K on a car I drive 25-30k miles a year.

I have a test drive scheduled for this morning. I'm also looking at the 5.0TT which I plan to test drive this weekend...And, I'm also considering just keeping my 06 for the foreseeable future...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
jscifres
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My first impression at the dealer

I also had a chance to look the new Cayenne (S model) over yesterday...

My observations:

1. The new Cayenne is bigger looking on the outside. Some lines are good, others are not so good. But hey, the outgoing model had to grow on me too.

2. There are no tracks in the roof for a roof rack unless you order the option, which explains why it is so much more money for roof rails this time.

3. The rear hatch opens via the key fob, but does not close via the key fob (annoying 'safety' feature!)

4. True, the rear seats slide and recline, giving more flexibility and room, but I'm not sure that the recline position really is that big of a difference compared to the outgoing model's fixed seat. Yeah, it's better than the old rear seat, but not still not as good as some competitors.

5. Driving Impressions: I do not own the outgoing model, but have driven the V6, S and GTS models, quite a bit. Something about this new model didn't feel as athletic as the outgoing model. I took a back to back test drive of two Cayenne S models (one 2010 and one 2011 - roughly the same tire size) on the freeway, etc... and I just came away a little underwhelmed with the 2011. Maybe it was the transmission, which didn't hold lower gears like the old model when my driving turned aggressive or when I entered turns. Maybe it was my seating position, which has enormous amounts of room, but didn't feel as sporting nor offer the same perfect visibility as the 2010. Maybe it was the steering feel, which felt slightly disconnected and less Porsche-like to me (granted, I drove to the dealer in my 911). Overall, the 2010 model just felt more aggressive to me and interestingly, the salesman (who I've known for years and he knows I have no interest in the outgoing model) revealed that I was not nearly alone in that assessment. Oddly, I came away feeling like the 2011 vehicle GAINED 500 lbs. Sure, the acceleration and roadholding specs will probably be better than the outgoing model... but I'm reminded of how a Lexus LS460 gets to 60mph in 5.7 seconds, but doesn't FEEL nearly as good as my old 1996 Camaro Z28 (~ same 0-60 time) did in getting there.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all subjective, of course, when it comes to these trucks.

I drove one on Monday (the S) and was quite pleased with it, but I'm coming out of a GX 470. I also found that the gears held just fine in sport mode. I'll be ordering one this summer.

Bill
Old 06-23-2010, 08:10 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
I have a test drive scheduled for this morning.
Something is telling me you already bought one?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Panamera is the better vehicle by a country (or city) mile. If you want four seats, cargo space and a Porsche brand, get the Panamera and you'll have something enjoyable to drive and no doubt worth taking to the track on occasion. If you want an SUV, get an SUV. The Mercedes GL for the on-road / soft-road equivalent of the Cayenne. Or a Land Rover for off-road.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^
Wrong..and the next time you come to dinner, I am going to pour some more wine, sit back and watch you try to convince my wife... who knows a thing or two about performance cars (both track and ice).

This will be fun, she already turned down the Panamera Turbo in favor of the Cayenne (and it cost me a ticket).

The Panamera serves a purpose, I love it, but it does not serve household utility. Th GL serves a purpose too, but if you don't need a cavern when you travel..the Cayenne wins.

Wait until you drive it!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:34 AM
nicu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the main win factor for the cayenne turbo is - drive it,both on and off road...
game over,no competition
Old 06-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Porsche 25th
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My .02

I was in Jacksonville last week and dropped by Brumos to see what racecars they had on display. (910 and 964 Turbo S) They also had some great new cars: GT3, GT3RS--awesome, 997.2 Turbo S--white cab, and two 2011 Cayennes---S and Turbo. They definitely look better in person. The interiors are very similar to the Panamera. I liked the exterior. The thousand-button interior might take some getting used to. Re: Panamera vs. Cayenne; the Panamera will only seat 4 (my family is 5) and it will not go offroad. I am not an "offroader" but have used this capability a few times when needed and was very happy I could. As a DD, the difference in on-road performance is irrelevant on my commute.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:58 PM
NYC123
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove the turbo today, better than the last version I agree but I for sure enjoy my panamera turbo much more than the new cayenne. For me I think I will keep the panamera turbo and get a range rover for the winter. I think to have the panamera and the cayenne is too much of the same.

Quick Reply: New 2011 Cayenne Turbo Pictures from Champion Porsche