Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Porsche Cayenne S: NEED YOUR HELP!! (the true experts)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 12:58 AM
DaNextOne
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Porsche Cayenne S: NEED YOUR HELP!! (the true experts)

Hey guys,

I’ve placed a down deposit on a 2004 Porsche Cayenne S and I’m still hesitant on the purchase because of this cars reliability. It has 108,00KM (64,800,miles) and in as good as condition as one can desire for a 6 year old car…Yet here are a few things bugging me: (it will be getting inspected from a dealer soon)

1)When driving at a moderate speed in Automatic mode (60km/36miles) then immediately letting go of the gas the car seems to shift down VERY quickly (gives the impression that I’m driving tip-tronic and coming down on high RPM’s) – kind of like a jolt – IS THIS NORMAL?

2)When starting the car the Cayenne makes a very fast and settle “tick,tick,tick” noise, the salesmen say ALL Porsche vehicles make a “tick,tick,tick” noise and it’s even more evident when they have not been driven for a while…IS THIS NORMAL

3)Does the 2004 Porsche Cayenne S come with a Timing Belt or Timing Chain? Which and when do they need to be changed (if at all)

4)What kind of oil do you guys use and how often?

5)Is it possible that the car started in D2? When I glanced at the dash I noticed I was ONLY in D2 (never D1,D3) IS THIS NORMAL?

Thanks in advance and I figure BETTER ASK THE TRUE EXPERTS!
Old 06-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Not normal
2. Not normal
3. Timing chain
4. Mobil 1 0W40
5. Yes, starts in D2 unless you put in in M1 in manual mode. Or turn off PSM and it will start in D1.

Last edited by Renn 951; 06-16-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:36 AM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

1) ^+1 if anything I think the transmission is always one or two gear too high to save gas, never too low, so definitely not normal.

2) hehe, all Porsche huh... I only have 2 and neither tick tick tick...

4) I believe factory recommends every 20k but IMHO, that's too long. I change mine every year or 10K at the most.

5) ^+1 or when it is cold, like winter time in SoCal - around 50F.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:26 AM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I just saw a blown tranny on a 2004 Cayenne S 2-3 weeks ago...and the owner had bought the car from a private seller !
Is it an authorized Porsche dealer or not? Why don't you buy a certified one ?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:25 PM
DaNextOne
AutoX

I too live in Montreal, Qc...The dealer claimed he used to purchase cars for Porsche Prestige...They look like an honest dealership (I visited a few I did not feel comfortable with)...

If you have time to PM me maybe I can give you my # and you can shoot some suggestions!

Thanks
Old 12-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Michael DeRoma
3rd Gear

Hey DaNextOne, I've heard that tick tick tick you mentioned as well. Did you ever find out any more. I too am new to the forum and am very curious. Great forum by the way. Was able to do a lot of research and diagnosis before purchasing an 04 Cayenne S.
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,144 Likes on 759 Posts

1. The engine and transmission are "adaptive" - and changes how it shifts depending on how you drive it. That could be the cause of the rapid downshifts when decellerating. Or it could be the known '04 problem involving the shift controller and the transmission valve body.

2. Would have to hear the "tick" - clean injectors do make a tick noise. (And conversely - dirty ones don't.) I think to really answer the question you have to localize where the noise is coming from. Harbor Freight sells a mechanic's stethoscope for around $3.00, it's a great tool for things like this.. you can track down the source of a noise using it safely and quickly. If you don't have HF in Canada - I'm sure one of the larger auto part chain stores will have the same thing for a few more dollars..

3. Chain - and never.

4. Mobil-1 0W40. At 10k intervals.

5. Normal unless the temps are below about 50F and you just started the car. Below 50F with a cold engine, it uses 1st gear to help warm the engine quickly.. above that, it starts in 2nd. If you try pulling away using 1st gear (using the TipTronic) you'll see why. 1st gear is a very high ratio gear, and it runs out of RPMs at about 15mph.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
1. The engine and transmission are "adaptive" - and changes how it shifts depending on how you drive it. That could be the cause of the rapid downshifts when decellerating. Or it could be the known '04 problem involving the shift controller and the transmission valve body.

2. Would have to hear the "tick" - clean injectors do make a tick noise. (And conversely - dirty ones don't.) I think to really answer the question you have to localize where the noise is coming from. Harbor Freight sells a mechanic's stethoscope for around $3.00, it's a great tool for things like this.. you can track down the source of a noise using it safely and quickly. If you don't have HF in Canada - I'm sure one of the larger auto part chain stores will have the same thing for a few more dollars..

3. Chain - and never.

4. Mobil-1 0W40. At 10k intervals.

5. Normal unless the temps are below about 50F and you just started the car. Below 50F with a cold engine, it uses 1st gear to help warm the engine quickly.. above that, it starts in 2nd. If you try pulling away using 1st gear (using the TipTronic) you'll see why. 1st gear is a very high ratio gear, and it runs out of RPMs at about 15mph.
Best response so far!

1) Might I also add that the downshift can also depend on whether or not you're in Sport or Comfort Mode and if you're on a slight downhill grade while coasting or slightly decelerating.

2) A rapid ticking sound immediately upon startup can be anything from sticky lifters to a badly adjusted/positioned starter motor pinion gear following a major coolant tube replacement. Just way too many possibilities; particularly if the problem is temperature sporadic.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Doesn't pork get rancid after a year?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Move onto the next P!g on your list...
Old 12-03-2011, 06:09 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If the “tick,tick,tick” noise is coming from the motor/engine after starting,,, walk away and look at other Cayenne's. If it is from opening the drivers door before starting the engine that is fine it is the fuel pump adding presure to the fuel system....
Old 12-03-2011, 06:47 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve placed a down deposit on a 2004 Porsche Cayenne S and I’m still hesitant on the purchase because of this cars reliability. It has 108,00KM (64,800,miles) and in as good as condition as one can desire for a 6 year old car…Yet here are a few things bugging me: (it will be getting inspected from a dealer soon)

1)When driving at a moderate speed in Automatic mode (60km/36miles) then immediately letting go of the gas the car seems to shift down VERY quickly (gives the impression that I’m driving tip-tronic and coming down on high RPM’s) – kind of like a jolt – IS THIS NORMAL?

If the engine is cold I would expect this but not if its warm

2)When starting the car the Cayenne makes a very fast and settle “tick,tick,tick” noise, the salesmen say ALL Porsche vehicles make a “tick,tick,tick” noise and it’s even more evident when they have not been driven for a while…IS THIS NORMAL

As someone else said, ticking can be pumps pressurizing fuel system

3)Does the 2004 Porsche Cayenne S come with a Timing Belt or Timing Chain? Which and when do they need to be changed (if at all)

Chain. never

4)What kind of oil do you guys use and how often?

Mobil 1 0-40

5)Is it possible that the car started in D2? When I glanced at the dash I noticed I was ONLY in D2 (never D1,D3) IS THIS NORMAL?

Ditto to previous remarks - yes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:45 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fail to see why anyone would purchase a p!g without having all the previously discussed updates found in this forum addressed. There is a solid knowledge base here and you obviously knew to come here for advise so why not read the threads. Is this thing half price? Got time and money for the updates? If not then walk away and find one that has been updated or you will suffer the same consequences as everyone here has experienced. There is a checklist of things that fail and should be addressed prior to purchase or funds set aside to address after purchase. If you are hesitant with this unit you should walk away. The p!g has a defined history spelled out for you in this forum. You should be able to find one that you feel confident in purchasing.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:41 AM
Slyker
4th Gear

I'm sure DaNextOne didn't buy that Cayenne due to the feedback on the ticking noise, but I thought I should add that I recently bought a minty '04 Cayenne S (72k km) that did/does the same thing. I was told that the ticking noise is merely heat expansion in either the block or other metal components, which makes perfect sense to me. It quickly goes away. Other than the common fuel pump issue, this is the nicest, most refined vehicle of the many many that I've owned since starting to drive in 1980, so I personally would not be scared off buying a used Cayenne due to a slight ticking noise, as long as it doesn't persist...).

Quick Reply: 2004 Porsche Cayenne S: NEED YOUR HELP!! (the true experts)