Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me about a 2004 S

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 05:25 AM
Kermit
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that much. Living in Europe I'm not sure what you'd have to pay in the US, but a quick googling seems to put them in the $40-$50 range (and you should really replace them all while at it, so get 8 of them). So about $400. It's not that hard to change, lots of DIY-info here on the forums about that, it takes an evening or so. If you let a workshop look at it, add a few hours labor cost to that

I'd also recommend changing the spark plugs at the same time since it takes about 10 minutes extra when everything is disassembled, so add a few bucks for that as well.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

Coils aren't that bad. This isn't just a Cayenne issue either. I had to replace defective coils on my 911 also.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coils are pretty common on any German car. I had to replace them on both my Audis. Not really a unique issue to the Cayenne.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:31 AM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Other than Porsche/Audi/VW -- I have never had to replace coils. This is not a universal problem. We have had to replace an occasional coil - but all on older cars with lots of miles on them.

Picked up my 06 S two days ago -- Third SET of coils -- car just hit 40k. And they replaced another cornering light bulb. I believe the "exclamation" warning bulb is an alpha bulb .... he calls a meeting every other week to decide who will commit suicide. He must be "on" or he gets antsy.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, it's crazy. parts are cheaper than my 951... I'm lookin at paragon's website, control arms are like, $200. coils at $45. brake rotors $79 for fronts! I use cross drilled on my 951 at $200! wasn't expecting that...
Old 06-05-2010, 01:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
Coils are pretty common on any German car. I had to replace them on both my Audis. Not really a unique issue to the Cayenne.
I would disagree. The Cayenne's coil failure rate (and # of revisions of the coils) is fairly high IMHO. The "Cracked Coil" thread at the top of this forum is evidence of that fact.

I don't recall other forums here on RL having such an issue with coils across the other models.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I would disagree. The Cayenne's coil failure rate (and # of revisions of the coils) is fairly high IMHO. The "Cracked Coil" thread at the top of this forum is evidence of that fact.

I don't recall other forums here on RL having such an issue with coils across the other models.
Have you owned the Audi too? I had to replace mu coils several times. How many times have you replaced the coils on your Cayenne?

I'm guessing the Cayenne needs coils far less than my 951 need a cap and rotor.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Coils were a major issue on our Saabs... I'd say a bigger issue than our Cayenne. Fortunately, the coil pack was easy to change on the Saab. Many owners carry an extra in their trunk.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:43 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cole
Have you owned the Audi too? I had to replace mu coils several times. How many times have you replaced the coils on your Cayenne?

I'm guessing the Cayenne needs coils far less than my 951 need a cap and rotor.
In the last ten years I've owned 2 VWs and 2 Audis (three 1.8T's and and one 2.0T). All had to have their ignition coils replaced. Two after they failed (under 20k miles - a three cylinder is not fun to drive fyi) and two on recall. Interesting that VW actually recalled them and Porsche has not.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:05 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

My memory is going -- I forgot about my SAABs. You had to replace the whole "Coil Pack" on them at $800.00 a pop in 1991. I had two 9000CD Turbo's back then.

And yes......... I still have one of the pac's sitting on a shelf. They are cool to look at - beautiful red paint.! Unfortunately, the design required the assembly to be filled with oil to dissipate the heat .... and they would leak ......
Old 06-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Mike_A
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

sheesh! maybe I am living a charmed life, but I have 75,000 on my 04 CS...to date Ive changed only one coil (and that was after I changed the plugs), the right cornering light, and a set of front rotors and pads, and one set of wipers....I get 18 mpg in town....on the interstate to Florida , 21 mpg at 65 mph......
Old 07-29-2010, 12:21 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ltc
4 revisions of the rear window microswitch
stainless steel trim that rusts
trim that is self ejecting from the vehicle
multiple updates to the TCU/ECU
transmission that loves 'grandmother mode' adaptation
cardan shaft...ffollowed by cardan shaft
coils, coils, coils
aquarium living under the rear antennae spoiler
wiper blades that sound like an elephant dragging its *** across the windshield
headlight condensation (by installing dessicant bags), followed by drilling holes and installing ventilation tubes
headlight connector alignment, retention and longevity issues
comfort control unit losing its memory/configuration
a/c solenoids buried behind the IP that decide to make noises like a duck
alignment (3 different sets of values over the years)

....out of memory error message.....

apart from that, pretty much a desirable vehicle IMHO.
Originally Posted by Kermit
I got a 2004 about two months back. Defects I noticed so far on mine:

- Had to replace all coils
- CD player makes a really annoying sound, like something hitting the plastic casing repeatedly. Happens most times I open the drivers door, keep on for 5-30 seconds.
- Switch for the interior lighting works when it wants to
- A/C leak
- Rear hatch window - have to close it REALLY hard, or the car thinks it's still open
- Noisy wipers that hardly does anything. Will replace asap.
- TPMS error, no idea what / why, have to let someone look at it
- Airbag light went on after changing battery. Probably just some low voltage error code or something, but have to drive it to a workshop to get the codes cleared.
- And oh yeah, had to change the battery
- Plastic cover for the base of rear wiper keeps falling off. Replaced it, fell off again.
- Tried to change the autolock settings, always reverts to previous settings after a while.
- Turn signal warned about broken lightbulb, but started working again. Some kind of bad connection.
- Drivers side handle is a little "loose". Sometimes (happened 2-3 times) when exiting the car the interior door handle just doesn't work. Have to roll down window and jiggle outside handle a bit to get it to unlock from the inside.
- Not a malfunction, but design flaw? When I fold the rear seats down, the air conditon control buttons for the back seat makes ugly impressions in the leather on the seat pressed against it.

Those are all the tings I can think of for now. I guess you have to expect some of these flaws when buying used, but I have had quite a few things to look at.

That beeing said, it runs like a dream. Engine, gearshifts, suspension and all those important parts work great. All those small things have not scared me away from getting another Cayenne. In fact, I'm quite sure my next car will also be a Cayenne, but a newer model.

Are 2004 turbos plagued with the same ^ issues?

Last edited by TRINITONY; 07-29-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Are 2004 turbos plaugued with the same ^ issues?
Yup.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Yup.
Thanks!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Are 2004 turbos plaugued with the same ^ issues?
Issues?
What issues?

Quick Reply: Tell me about a 2004 S