Sponsored by:

Cayenne Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 12:44 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl Fausett
Our cost for the block repair with new pistons and rings is $4,665.
https://928motorsports.com/services/...ock_repair.php

I think your guesstimate for the Porsche gaskets and parts is high. Customers have reported numbers from $3000 to $4500 for the Porsche gaskets and bearings, depending on what was needed and the model of motor.

The cost to have a mechanic remove the motor, disassemble it, ship it to us; then re-assemble it and put it in I do not know. Depends on the mechanic and their shop rate.
Sorry, I didn't mean to misquote your prices. I actually just checked and noticed that LN's cheaper option doesn't include pistons which is a pretty big difference. Their package that includes pistons is a couple hundred more than your price.

You're right about the gaskets and parts too. I'm mixing CAD and USD but the higher end of it was from an actual quote I received from my closest dealership. After the currency conversion, dealership gouging, Canadian pricing, etc it'll add up but maybe not quite $10,000 CAD and ordering through more competitive places will bring it down a lot.

Apparently reassembly and re-installation is approx 34 hours x shop rate (which is $175 CAD where I am). So disassembly + all the while you're in there tasks.. Maybe 50-60 hours total?

Anyways, this is all hypothetical since a 2004 Cayenne S is a $5000CAD car and the poster probably ran away long ago, never to return to the world of expensive unreliable money pits that is Porsche ownership.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:50 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
Sorry, I didn't mean to misquote your prices. I actually just checked and noticed that LN's cheaper option doesn't include pistons which is a pretty big difference. Their package that includes pistons is a couple hundred more than your price.

You're right about the gaskets and parts too. I'm mixing CAD and USD but the higher end of it was from an actual quote I received from my closest dealership. After the currency conversion, dealership gouging, Canadian pricing, etc it'll add up but maybe not quite $10,000 CAD and ordering through more competitive places will bring it down a lot.

Apparently reassembly and re-installation is approx 34 hours x shop rate (which is $175 CAD where I am). So disassembly + all the while you're in there tasks.. Maybe 50-60 hours total?

Anyways, this is all hypothetical since a 2004 Cayenne S is a $5000CAD car and the poster probably ran away long ago, never to return to the world of expensive unreliable money pits that is Porsche ownership.
They are actually very good reliable vehicles if you take care of them. The incidence of bore scoring is a tiny miniscule percentage of units sold.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:05 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
They are actually very good reliable vehicles if you take care of them. The incidence of bore scoring is a tiny miniscule percentage of units sold.
You're probably right. I'm just grumpy because I've spent countless hours scrubbing the underside with a glorified toothbrush. All will be forgiven once I drive it again
Old 05-07-2019, 02:06 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK

Anyways, this is all hypothetical since a 2004 Cayenne S is a $5000CAD car and the poster probably ran away long ago, never to return to the world of expensive unreliable money pits that is Porsche water cooled ownership.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:20 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
^^THIS^^
Old 08-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Sancho22
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading the above posts, thinking about this for a while I decided not to rebuild the engine. Figured that the car will soon need several other things to be done so I moved on.

Traded it in for practically nothing and got a 2017 CPO (3 year warranty) Platinum Cayenne (not S).
Car had 25K miles and my wife is happy.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:06 PM
Sean Younk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas what it would cost now at a dealership to replace an 08 GTS engine? If its around 12k, I will go buy an 08 GTS.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:41 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

You might want to get a firm quote on an engine swap from your favorite dealership before you buy that GTS. I would guess no less than 12K. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:03 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Engine replac

Originally Posted by Sean Younk
Any ideas what it would cost now at a dealership to replace an 08 GTS engine? If its around 12k, I will go buy an 08 GTS.
parts alone will be almost 3 times that amount at a dealer. Then labor...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/94810094807/
Old 06-25-2020, 02:27 AM
TPan
1st Gear

New to site. Please be kind. I have an '08 Turbo, 110km on it. Love the car, but bought it before I learned about the potential scoring issue. Considering now whether to keep it. Wondering:
- How frequent is this really, or is it one of those things the internet magnifies 100x? Read the "survey"...not sure the data there helps at all. Suppose no one hear really knows but thought I'd ask
- My 957 has a wabasto heater- anyone know whether the incidence rate is lower on cars such equipped?
- Most importantly: Say it scores. Are there other engines that will fit? Say a used 4.8L out of a 958? The car is immaculate, and I'd hate to sell it if there's options for rebuild/replace that are less than $10k. If it goes belly up and I can put a rebuild/replace in it for $10k, it's worth keeping, 'cause look at her! But otherwise, I've got an expensive piece of scrap metal with a PDCC, full woodgrain trim, and soft look leather seat upgrades.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:33 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 956 Likes on 597 Posts

TPan - Beauty of a Pepper! Warm up the engine before going full tilt. These V8 motors warm up pretty quickly. It’s the torque applied to the engine internals when the metals and oil are cold that lead to scoring. Read Baz Hart posts/articles about the issues with any coated cylinders. Change the oil (of the correct viscosity for your climate) at proper intervals, with help from used oil analysis. Use the heater in winter. Don’t let the tiny chance of scoring override the pleasure of driving a fantastic vehicle. Also, injectors on this engine are pretty loud. If you have a good diagnostic tool, you’ll be able to keep very accurate track of your vehicle’s health. Enjoy the ride!

Keep the vehicle, drive it all the time and love on it with caring maintenance. Maybe think about getting rid of the Pepper when you don’t smile every time you get in it.
The following users liked this post:
sweetskillsrk (06-26-2020)
Old 10-02-2021, 11:54 AM
Reesy
6th Gear

Hi everyone

Great thread read it twice,, so tell me if im crazy 2005 4.5 s slight ticking noise using 750ml of oil every 1000 miles , am I
stupid thinking of buying it hear in uk ?
Old 10-02-2021, 11:58 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reesy
Hi everyone

Great thread read it twice,, so tell me if im crazy 2005 4.5 s slight ticking noise using 750ml of oil every 1000 miles , am I
stupid thinking of buying it hear in uk ?

we needs ah video 😜 and r u a gambling man?
Old 10-02-2021, 12:21 PM
Reesy
6th Gear

Have vid but says wrong file type just normal mp4 off phone wont let me attach
Old 10-02-2021, 12:39 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Reesy
Have vid but says wrong file type just normal mp4 off phone wont let me attach

put it on YouTube and post the link. @brett968