Cold Starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Dominick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Starts

Hello All

I'm A new owner of an 06' Titanium S. I notice today, after the car has sat for a day, that starting her cold resulted in a longer then normal cranking period (3 seconds) before she finally turned over, followed but a slightly rough idol. After a short drive I shut her down and she restarted perfectly

I stopped at the local parts store and grabbed some fuel injector cleaner, but was wondering if anyone else has this issue
Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,489 Likes on 937 Posts

I have not experienced that issue.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:03 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Mine does this too, (cayenne S) nearly every cool morning. Maybe not 3 second but ususally I can just flick the key and it starts. Figured it was just the 4.5L needs a little more work to turn over and its and old car.

Replaced the battery, little better.

Had the starter tested by a Porsche dealer, they said it was fine. Didn't want to replace that anyway as it is 900 bux or so, plus core I think. (Had the engine out of the car for tranny work)
Old 04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
wirunner
Pro

Never experienced anything like that either in both P!gs.

Sounds like something's wrong. Perhaps it rained that night and the moisture made its way into the coils...nevermind...that certainly would never happen.

Good luck and welcome to P!g ownership...
Old 04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
dsandfort
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

08 CS here. Had 1 rough start about 2 months ago. Sort of felt like the car was clearing it's throat. Happened a couple more times over the next few weeks. Then it happened while driving. Felt like about 5 cylinders firing. Finally, started while driving and never quit. Limped in to the dealer with the CEL on and ended up with a new high pressure fuel pump.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:28 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominick
Hello All

I'm A new owner of an 06' Titanium S. I notice today, after the car has sat for a day, that starting her cold resulted in a longer then normal cranking period (3 seconds) before she finally turned over, followed but a slightly rough idol. After a short drive I shut her down and she restarted perfectly

I stopped at the local parts store and grabbed some fuel injector cleaner, but was wondering if anyone else has this issue
So do you mean 3 second until it actually turns (engine rotates through cylinder motion) over or 3 seconds until it catches and starts, turning over several times.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:08 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
So do you mean 3 second until it actually turns (engine rotates through cylinder motion) over or 3 seconds until it catches and starts, turning over several times.
My guess:

"turns over"="starts"
"idol"="idle"
Old 04-13-2010, 06:19 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Mine starts right up -- it would occasionally stumble after it started - but 8 new coils solved that problem.

Mine has never needed to crank for three seconds
Old 04-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Mine starts immediately but does run rough for a minute or two even after new coils and plugs
Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dsandfort
08 CS here. Had 1 rough start about 2 months ago. Sort of felt like the car was clearing it's throat. Happened a couple more times over the next few weeks. Then it happened while driving. Felt like about 5 cylinders firing. Finally, started while driving and never quit. Limped in to the dealer with the CEL on and ended up with a new high pressure fuel pump.
The high pressure fuel pump is most likely your problem. Manifests itself in hot AND cold engines. For me, it's after the engine has warmed up. Tech noticed it last time the car was in but it was not bad enough yet. Eventually it will cause a CEL and then just quit! So, I am headed in on Thursday to get it fixed.

Toby
Old 04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I've had this issue if you press on accel. accidentally while starting (floods it). Wait a while and it turns over with a slightly rough idle then it corrects its self.

BTW, Welcome to the Pepper club (No pigs allowed in here)!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Dominick
Racer

Originally Posted by HD2pct
My guess:

"turns over"="starts"
"idol"="idle"

Sorry Too much American Idol chatter in my house- lol

yes - the starter cranks and then it takes a few seconds - Haven't really timed it but its clearly longer then normal before she actually starts
Old 04-15-2010, 11:56 AM
choij2000
Track Day

i too, have an '06 titanium edition S, and i had this same problem once.
(car sat over the wknd, and cold started it on a monday, slow to turn over, and when it did finally start, rought idle to the point where it was about to stall, so i had to gas it.)
i had my coils replaced when i first got the car, but i was worried it was something related, so i took it back. they checked it out and couldn't replicate the problem(coils were ok, fuel pump ok), and it hasn't come back. for me, i have to chalk it up to maybe bad gasoline, or some moisture somewhere as someone had previously mentioned. (that was several months ago...maybe last summer)
just monitor it. hopefully it goes away.

[i'm actually trying to figure out why my S makes random squealing noises (not brake squeal...but similar); when i drive slow, i can hear something...but haven't been able to pin it down. ]
Old 04-15-2010, 12:11 PM
Dominick
Racer

I bottle of Techron gas additive i put in seems to be helping with the rough idol but it still takes at least twice the amount of time to start up in the morning versus when she's warm.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominick
Sorry Too much American Idol chatter in my house- lol
Oh man...why? This season really sucks!

Quick Reply: Cold Starts