Water in the floor board

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 12:33 AM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the floor board

My 05 S started leaking water into the floorboard on the passengers side today. Im guessing its condensation from the AC system. I couldnt get under the car today to look .I know that this water is supposed to dump OUTSIDE the vehicle on this side.
Anyone ever have this problem?
Plugged drain line?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:05 AM
jmm
Advanced

I don't have a Cayenne currently to look, but I can guess based on many years of working with other cars. The heater core is on that side, on the outside of the firewall, and is connected by hoses to the main cooling radiator. If the heater core leaks or either of the hoses connecting it leak, then the leak goes inside to the passenger footwell. This would be the case in most GM cars, but I wouldn't put it past Porsche to put the heater somewhere else. Do you smell anti-freeze?
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a drain hose in the front part of the passenger footwell, probably plugged and you will need to clean it out.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:52 AM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

No smell of anti freeze. Its water. I will look for the drain today . Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 12:58 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just in case its not the AC there is another source of water in that area. Wife complained of a small spot of wet carpet and a musty smell on the passenger side near the kickpanel. Found out it was the windshield washer line for the rear windscreen. The small line lives under the a pillar trim panel and has a small connector that likes to come loose. Pull the plastic cover says "airbag" hides the nut and remove the panel. TIP! clean hands as the fabric stains easily. "Customer" complained and I had to do some cleaning.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Mason13
Rennlist Member

I had a similar problem with my trailblazer, turns out my windshield was leaking and letting the rain water in and pooled on the passenger floor board.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

I know this isnt rain water as it hasnt rained. I dont see the drain line looking under the passengers side. Any tips?
Old 04-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Zba
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The drain for the AC is behind the cover under the glovebox. It is the cover with the 12v sockets attached to it. You need a T-20 torx bit (a very small screwdriver could work in a pinch) to remove the one screw holding the panel on. Once removed, you will see a black rubber piece near the plenum at the edge of the carpet towards the front of the car. Be careful when you pull it off because if it is full of water it will go all over your carpet when you do. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:37 PM
rehpog
3rd Gear

Hi there.

I have a 2003 cayenne S - I had a lot of water in to the passenger side footwell - turned out it was blocked drains and not linked to the A/C. It also caused a sufficient build up of water in the passenger front wheel arch area.

Took longer to dry the car out than sort the blocked drains...
Old 07-07-2012, 11:53 PM
Fabianrou
Advanced

2004 S. An amazing amount of water on the passenger side. I'm talking gallons!! All the way to the edge of the back seat. Had to pull the seat out, all the carpets were soaking wet, took me two weeks to dry it. Today I spray some water on top of the car and sure enough it poored in like Niagara Falls. The strange thing is that it seems to accumulate somewhere before it comes in because even long after I stop the hose there was a constant stream of water coming in (HOT). Stopped 20 min after I stopped the hose. Weird or what??!@#^
It comes in from behind the blower motor area. There's some sort of cover there against the firewall and the water comes in non stop. I have no clue what's behind that cover but it seems like I should be able to tell once I remove the wheel and the inner plastic cover. Never had this happen on any car ever!! I will post some pictures later on that I've been taking as I go along. Haven't been able to drive it for over 2 weeks now afraid that it will rain and create another lagoon in there. Even the wad of cables were soaking wet, had to remove the black tape around the wires to dry it all. An incredible mess guys!!! At first I thought it was the sunroof drain holes so I removed the side windshield panel and pulled down on the liner to access the sunroof drain hose and poored water in it to see if it was leaking. I was pouring lots of water on top but only a drop or too were coming out at the bottom as if it had some sort of check valve some where. That lead me to believe that the sunroof drain water accumulates somewhere before it leaves the car? Makes no senses to me. As I said I will post some pictures later.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Fabianrou
Advanced

May be having the same problem as you... which drains were plugged? I'll find out tomorrow when i remove the inner wheel cover.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Try this, pretty sure it is the same thing on the Cayenne.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f7...ins-57187.html

There are two more that are in the middle above the bell housing that are much more difficult to get at.

Either way if these nipples are plugged, most likely with leaves, the overflow will go in the fresh air intake.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Try this, pretty sure it is the same thing on the Cayenne.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f7...ins-57187.html

There are two more that are in the middle above the bell housing that are much more difficult to get at.

Either way if these nipples are plugged, most likely with leaves, the overflow will go in the fresh air intake.
That sounds like your problem exactly; water fills up in the cowl area and then comes in thru the fresh air intake. You did the right thing by pulling the carpets to let them dry as well as all the electrical components underneath. Best to pull out those drain nipples and just leave them off to avoid blockage in future. That's what my dealer did on mine when they found they'd gotten plugged up late last year.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Just realized the included linked photo was from a phaeton, so not 100% sure on the middle ones, but have been told they exist.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:03 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats good to know the dealer did that.. because when i bought my cayenne this spring there was a lot of water sloshing around. Fortunately it hadnt yet leaked into the cabin but to solve it I removed 6 drain plugs under the car. A bunch of water emptied and I have not reinstalled the plugs. I have wondered though why they are there in the first place and assumed there was some benefit. I obviously have not unblocked what is plugged upstream but at least the cabin stays dry.

Quick Reply: Water in the floor board