Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[SOLVED] - Rough Acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:31 PM
sfrappier
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up [SOLVED] - Rough Acceleration...

Hey all!

Had a quick question for some of you "experts" out there. I have a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S and noticed an odd issue just recently.

Upon heavy acceleration I've noticed a "staggering" or "shuddering" issue with the vehicle. There is no rough idle issues or idle problems when keeping RPM's high (even in the 4k - 6k range), but only when I "get on it" and give the car some acceleration.

It doesn't happen in any particular gear as well - only when accelerating hard. When the misfires start occurring the entire car (including cabin) shakes rather violently.

I also have not experienced any transmission specific issues (i.e. high rpm's and a mis-shift or extremely hard shifts).

When I brought it into the dealer today, I brought one of the tech's out to take a ride with me. I went through and immediately was able to re-create the issue. At the end of the ride, my check engine light finally turned on...I was pretty happy about this because the dealer was telling me that it's hard to get Porsche to provide warranty work if there is no check engine light (is everyone else's experience the same with dealerships)?

The codes stated that there was a cylinder 6 misfire and the tiptronic transmission flag was also presented. The standard procedure from what they told me is to replace the ignition coils (and of course it's on the tough side to replace - engine torque mount - you name it).

Have any of you had any similar experiences with this type of issue? I've heard that the ignition coils have been a pretty persistent issue - but I guess I'm a bit concerned that I'll go another 10k miles and find out it was a transmission issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

- Scott

Last edited by sfrappier; 03-04-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Solved
Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<------Look at my picture...

So you say they're just gonna replace the one? That's nice...I'm sure the rest are fine.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

Sounds like coils to me too.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:06 PM
pcst
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coils...
Old 03-04-2010, 04:41 PM
sfrappier
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All:

Thanks for the replies - it was the coils. Instead of just replacing #6 they replaced them with the new part (P948-602-104-07). I'm assuming that the "07" is the revision level as I had "-01" coils.

The bulletin was 16/07 2820 for the replacement.

No more shakes - no powertrain issues - I'm happy.

Thanks to all for replying.

- Scott
Old 03-04-2010, 04:47 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Sounds like coils to me too.
I was going to guess rear window microswitch causing the rear window to open uncommanded, leading to pressure buffeting in the cabin, which appeared to be engine hesitation....
Old 03-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I was going to guess rear window microswitch causing the rear window to open uncommanded, leading to pressure buffeting in the cabin, which appeared to be engine hesitation....
You're quite evil you know...
Old 03-04-2010, 05:21 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I thought that was the sunroof's job?

Ever wonder why it has two "open" positions? One where it automatically stops and the second where you have to force it open the extra 4 inches?

Open it to full open and then take a ride..... The mech. engrs really missed the boat on the sunroof resonance front. To fix it, they just stop the roof where it doesn't open as far. Brilliant!

I'm sure Porsche marketing put a nice spin on it. Something like "The driver has many sunroof positions to choose from in order to optimize his driving experience whether at rest or in motion....." gag
Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You've heard of the car's audio system being used to cancel out engine resonances (Acura has it and Cadillac thought about it to help with their cylinder deactivation issues)...but perhaps you didn't know that work was done allowing the audio system to cancel out the buffeting caused by the sunroof positions you described.
(there was already a cabin microphone present as part of the 'Audiopilot' feature and the amp/speakers were marginally capable).

Of course it was all sort of working fairly well until....wait for it....the rear window opened all by itself and the buffeting ovewhelmed the audio system.

Larry nearly p!ssed himself laughing...the Germans did not.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Dennis C
You're quite evil you know...
Thank you.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Interesting. The noise cancellation system in my Acura Type S worked very well especially on road noise. Never tried the sunroof. I never use them. Funny story about the Cayenne though.

My experience with fancy electronics on the Acura indicates that the Japanese do a better job that the Germans. Mine worked without any glitches and Nav updates were available The Honda (acura) system knows where my country house is. The Porsche system is a blank except for the wording "here be dragons".
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Interesting. "here be dragons".
Probably displayed in German so you have to read the manual on WTF it means

Quick Reply: [SOLVED] - Rough Acceleration...