Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CTT 04 Self Leveling Sensor Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010 | 11:37 PM
chily2008
Instructor

Default CTT 04 Self Leveling Sensor Problems

I have had my 04 CTT for awhile. The CTT is great. No major problems. Ever since I remember, when you start the car, a warning "air suspension faulty". Everything seemed to work fine so I never really bothered with it. Within the past few months, I decided to play around to see if I could fix it. The reason I finally tried to fix it is 1. I was sick of the warning, 2. I cannot feel any difference between the different shock absorber settings (I feel that I am pretty in tune with suspensions- I was a test driver for a major company in the past).

I hooked up my durametric and I got a reading of "774 Vehicle Level Sensor Rear Left No Signal/Communication Present". I figured that I had a bad sensor so I switched the right and left sensor to see if I then get a warning on the right side. Unfortunately, I still got the left warning (yes, I did clear the warning light prior). My stubborn mind refused to accept that the problem wasn't the sensor so I purchased a new one. I cleared the old code, installed the new sensor and I still get the warning.

I have thoroughly checked the connector and wiring until it enters the body- everything seems fine.

One things that may be related to the problem is that the previous owner did install a renntech lowering module. It is installed in the right rear where a cd changer goes. It looks like some wires were cut and spliced. Are there any wires in the mentioned compartment that if hooked up wrong, could cause a lack of communication between the brains and sensor?

Any ideas?

Are the different shock absorber settings usually noticeable?

Thank you in advance
Old 01-29-2010 | 12:43 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

My 2003 Cayenne Turbo consistently had the "air suspension faulty" message on start up as well.

Solution was to change the main battery as it was low capacity (6 years old).

Message has not reappeared since the battery change.
Old 01-29-2010 | 12:52 AM
chily2008
Instructor

I had the exact problem when my battery was dying. I also remember having several other random warnings when the battery was dying. I replaced the battery about 6 months ago and the air susp warning is still on.

I was looking through the factory repair manuals. I think that my problem is probably coming from the way that the previous owner installed the lowering module. It was too cold outside to work on it too long tonight.

On other peoples Cayennes, is there a noticeable difference between the different shock absorber modes (comfort, normal, sport)?
Old 01-29-2010 | 06:16 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

There is definately a marked difference between the comfort and sport settings.

Can the lowering module be bypassed easily?
Old 01-29-2010 | 08:52 AM
chily2008
Instructor

I'm not very sure. I am going to look into removing it this weekend. I think that will fix the issue. I don't need a lowering unit. I just run at stock height.
Old 01-29-2010 | 09:30 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

To all,

Our 2004 C-TT also had a recurring suspension fault issue that finally presented itself as a suspension drop to lowest setting with a warning to go to the shop (ie do not drive the vehicle). Turned out to be a battery and a computer needed replacement - has had one message since then that cleared by itself and it's running fine again. T2 continues to knock on wood - 181,000+ on the 2004 C-TT.
Old 01-29-2010 | 11:34 AM
RxPorsche
Instructor

181K WOW hope mine get there and past it.......
Old 01-29-2010 | 11:55 AM
chily2008
Instructor

Originally Posted by T2
To all,

Our 2004 C-TT also had a recurring suspension fault issue that finally presented itself as a suspension drop to lowest setting with a warning to go to the shop (ie do not drive the vehicle). Turned out to be a battery and a computer needed replacement - has had one message since then that cleared by itself and it's running fine again. T2 continues to knock on wood - 181,000+ on the 2004 C-TT.
181k Thats awesome. Good to know they run that high.
Old 01-29-2010 | 05:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

We haven't had any issues with ours.

I can definitely tell the difference between the three modes, especially when driving on the highway. The "comfort" setting makes the Cayenne float like a Cadillac.
Old 01-29-2010 | 06:36 PM
chily2008
Instructor

I am going to work on removing the lowering module and re-splicing the wires. Hopefully, it will make it so I can feel a difference in the different shock settings and remove the warning light.

Quick Reply: CTT 04 Self Leveling Sensor Problems