I struggle that this is "normal"

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:48 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default I struggle that this is "normal"

Ok,
In a previous thread, I outlined that I thought my Cayenne was weird because it will "shudder" in the drivetrain if you ease on the gas going up a grade...I can sort of akin it to lugging the motor a little in an manual, 'cept it's an auto tranny. I took it back to the dealer, and they rode with me, felt it shudder, and said "yeah, they all do that."

Basically, as the drivetrain gets load on it, it shudders. Does anyone else think that's kinda sad for a vehicle of this cost price? Anybody else ever had this and corrected it, or is it true that "they all do that."

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 01:56 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Cincy - I have had this issue for 3 years, went to 3 dealers multiple times. They replaced a bunch of stuff, then porsche NA told me it was normal. Since it was leased i just lived with.
No - it is not acceptable.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:01 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Ok,
In a previous thread, I outlined that I thought my Cayenne was weird because it will "shudder" in the drivetrain if you ease on the gas going up a grade...I can sort of akin it to lugging the motor a little in an manual, 'cept it's an auto tranny. I took it back to the dealer, and they rode with me, felt it shudder, and said "yeah, they all do that."

Basically, as the drivetrain gets load on it, it shudders. Does anyone else think that's kinda sad for a vehicle of this cost price? Anybody else ever had this and corrected it, or is it true that "they all do that."

Thanks!

Largely because the transmission is always in the tallest gear possible. Unfortunately what you describe is normal. I've owned two P!gs and have had a rental p!g for a month+ and they ALL do it. Clearly a design "feature".

Welcome to P!g ownership.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

At least when it's in Sport Mode it doesn't do that ...of course, I'd have to buy stock in the gas companies, but hey!
Old 01-23-2010, 08:29 AM
timothyli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never felt the car wants to stall when accelerating from any gear, any rpm and any kind of road. However, my car shakes a little bit just before it comes to a stop when decelerating, it shakes for half a second and then it's back to normal.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:37 PM
pcst
Racer

You should ask the dealer to prove how & why this is a normal behavior. Take few of their Cayenne and test ride w/ them to see whether they all do the same thing or not.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:06 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

My Pepper doesn't do it. It must be a Piglet issue.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 PM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

BTW, both of my Peppers did it and was normal according to my Porsche techs. I actually like it and believe it has something to do with the tiptronic or just an inherent Porsche feature (it never shutters like its gonna stall though).

Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 PM
richc
Pro

Mine doesn't do that.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 AM
scarneva
4th Gear

Scott,

What dealer are you using in Cincy? If its the Village, I would seek a second opinion based on my experiences there.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

If it is Kings I would strongly suggest using a different dealership based on my experience with both the sales, parts and service departments. On a side note, this happens with my turbo while cruising in manual tip and pushing the pedal down suddenly. I attribute it to being in too tall a gear for the speed I am going and the increased demand on the engine. The tranny can not downshift like is required so I get a shuddering.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by Darth Coupe
I attribute it to being in too tall a gear for the speed I am going and the increased demand on the engine. The tranny can not downshift like is required so I get a shuddering.
Same here. That's when it happens.

Really 3 cars in 1

Off road
D mode (crap it shifts way to early)
Sport mode

The car behaves so differently it's like you are driving something else each time.

Found out that in normal mode you need to anticipate a bit. Using the manual switches on the wheel to shift down just ahead of a planned acceleration is the way to go. No shudder, no delay and keeps you awake (my 1st car with auto tranny, lazy mode !).
Old 01-30-2010, 04:58 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darth Coupe
If it is Kings I would strongly suggest using a different dealership based on my experience with both the sales, parts and service departments. On a side note, this happens with my turbo while cruising in manual tip and pushing the pedal down suddenly. I attribute it to being in too tall a gear for the speed I am going and the increased demand on the engine. The tranny can not downshift like is required so I get a shuddering.
Yeah, it is Kings, but I don't talk to the Service guys, just the tech, who is a good friend and helps me out on my 993TT when I do my own work. I actually asked that they call me the next time the district service rep is gonna be in, and I'll discuss it with him.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Turbo S
Rennlist Member

I have an '06 Turbo S. Does exactly the same thing in 5th gear. Shakes and shudders under light acceleration. It got to the point it would downshift into 4th with a loud bang. It felt like I someone rear ended me. The dealer replaced the valve body. Haven't had the hard downshifts but it still shakes and shudders in 5th gear.
Anybody have an issue with your headlights fluttering and flickering? That's another issue that the dealer can't recreate. Usually in the morning when the car is cold. When I stop at a light I can see the headlights flickering on the back of the car in front of me. Weird stuff. Once in a while a headlight will go out and I get a "dipped headlight" warning message. Then the headlight just comes back on. The dealer also said the computer showed no record of the warning coming on.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by Turbo S
Anybody have an issue with your headlights fluttering and flickering? That's another issue that the dealer can't recreate. Usually in the morning when the car is cold. When I stop at a light I can see the headlights flickering on the back of the car in front of me. Weird stuff. Once in a while a headlight will go out and I get a "dipped headlight" warning message. Then the headlight just comes back on. The dealer also said the computer showed no record of the warning coming on.
I realize we're OT, but headlight flickering with Xenon is the bulb. Pull up to a garage door and you can see which one (or both) is doing it. Surprised your dealer didn't just replace it instead of can't "recreate". Bad service...

Anyway, free if under base warranty, if not guess how much one of those costs...

Also, replace one and the colors won't match. Good stuff...

Quick Reply: I struggle that this is "normal"