Sponsored by:

Moving from a Touareg to a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:35 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Moving from a Touareg to a Cayenne

Hi All, been a Porsche owner in the past and looking to jump back in, mainly the 944/951 variety.

So currently i have a toureg which I had since 2004, and got because I couldnt justify the price of the cayenne back then. Now that I see some pretty good deals I am wanting to look again and give the wife the touareg.

I dont want to start a flame war on the t-reg vs the pepper, I think the are both great cars

So I have been browsing the board and at this point in time I was hoping there would be an faq/sticky etc of common problems across the different models of cayenne's but I cant seem to find them.

I know the early 04s of the t-reg had common problems such as driveshaft, coils, drive-by-wire, fast tire and brake wear, etc. I waited and got the later 04 and have been happy other than the fast tire and break wear. I assume the pepper has some similar problems as well.

So from what I have seen, it looks like I should go for an 05 or an 06 if the price is good and avoid 04s and 03s?. I am looking to spend no more than 25k.

What I have seen so far is for the pepper is plastic coolant pipes cracking, coils and something with drive shafts.

I am leaning towards the v6 as I care more about gas mileage than towing capacity and 0-60, along with the comfort the car provides. My understanding is this is a Porsche tuned v6 vW engine, is this correct? Does it have the chain timing system? Is the v8 a chain or a belt? On the touareg, this is a 2k maintenance item.

Interior wise, on the touareg the softtouch has started to peel, not sure if there are other interior things like this on the pepper.

So what I am looking for:
V6 (unless I can be convinced for the v8)
Moon roof
Stock wheels
xenon (doesn't need to be bi, low is fine)
fogs (stock) I assume
heated seats
heated side mirrors
1 tone body (I think the 05 and later has this stock)
tiptronic (all have this correct)
navigation (unless I can add a stock systems myself later easily)
For colors I prefer seal grey or similar with black interior.

So what is a fair price for an 05 of this caliber?

I am sure I will think of other things later, and if there is a FAQ for all the models, specs, common problems, that would be great!
Old 12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
wirunner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V6 (unless I can be convinced for the v8) - very slow p!g or fairly quick p!g your choice; the cost is 2mpg
Moon roof - yup
Stock wheels - yup
xenon (doesn't need to be bi, low is fine) - halogen or bi-xenon are your options
fogs (stock) I assume - yup
heated seats - yup
heated side mirrors - yup
1 tone body (I think the 05 and later has this stock) - if you're referring to the black plastic on bottom, you need 06 or newer
tiptronic (all have this correct) - unless you wanted a v6 manual
navigation (unless I can add a stock systems myself later easily) - look for one with PCM - adding one afterwards....HAHAHAHA

So what is a fair price for an 05 of this caliber? An 05 S could likely be found - look for one with remaining CPO or being sold as CPO (you may need to spend slightly more). Just trust me on this one...
Old 12-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can find an 05 with everything on your wish list for much less than $25k. Just take your time to make sure it's the right one. There are boatloads of these.

Test drive a V8 before you get the V6. You may change your mind.

The common problems are stickies at the top of this forum. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:44 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-28-2009, 02:40 PM
touareg
Drifting

V6 (unless I can be convinced for the v8) - very slow p!g or fairly quick p!g your choice; the cost is 2mpg -- Thanks!
Moon roof - yup -- standard I assume
Stock wheels - yup -- cool, I dont want to buy $2k tires for 19inch truck rims
xenon (doesn't need to be bi, low is fine) - halogen or bi-xenon are your options -- guess it is bi-xenons then!
fogs (stock) I assume - yup --cool
heated seats - yup --coo
heated side mirrors - yup --standard?
1 tone body (I think the 05 and later has this stock) - if you're referring to the black plastic on bottom, you need 06 or newer --dang, I really to like that look, I think it looks cheap with a different color bottom.
tiptronic (all have this correct) - unless you wanted a v6 manual -- no desire, boston traffic!
navigation (unless I can add a stock systems myself later easily) - look for one with PCM - adding one afterwards....HAHAHAHA -- too bad, I did this on the touareg with a head unit swap and added a gps antenna under the dash and did some coding via vag-com on the canbus.

So what is a fair price for an 05 of this caliber? An 05 S could likely be found - look for one with remaining CPO or being sold as CPO (you may need to spend slightly more). Just trust me on this one..

So I assume CPO is Porsche Certified Pre-Owned? Is this something only a dealer can do or can an end-user have a dealer do it for them and get a cert? Also what is PCM? Stability Managment or the Computer Bus?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by touareg

So I assume CPO is Porsche Certified Pre-Owned? Is this something only a dealer can do or can an end-user have a dealer do it for them and get a cert? Also what is PCM? Stability Managment or the Computer Bus?
CPO (cert pre owned) is transferable so it could be a previous CPO. New CPO's are P dealer only. I think all 05's should be outta base warranty by now. The new CPO program is very comprehensive.

PCM = Porsche Communication Management i.e. Nav
Old 12-28-2009, 02:46 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Divot
You can find an 05 with everything on your wish list for much less than $25k. Just take your time to make sure it's the right one. There are boatloads of these.

Test drive a V8 before you get the V6. You may change your mind.

The common problems are stickies at the top of this forum. Good luck.
Cool, so the 5 admin posts at the top are the only known problems? That's great so far.

Do all engines have the coolant pipe problem?
Old 12-28-2009, 02:50 PM
wirunner
Pro

Originally Posted by touareg
Cool, so the 5 admin posts at the top are the only known problems? That's great so far.

Do all engines have the coolant pipe problem?
Not exactly but those are the problems you will experience (100% chance). There's a million other failures you could experience...and most cost major $$$$ (just imagine how much those chums at PCNA are forking out for my new short block). Long story short, warranty warranty warranty.

Coolant pipes V8's only. V6 just sucks, might as well buy a minivan.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by wirunner
Not exactly but those are the problems you will experience (100% chance). There's a million other failures you could experience...and most cost major $$$$ (just imagine how much those chums at PCNA are forking out for my new short block). Long story short, warranty warranty warranty.

Coolant pipes V8's only. V6 just sucks, might as well buy a minivan.
Ouch on the short block, if this is the same as the VW engine I hope I dont run into that problem!

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:32 PM
richc
Pro

I drove a few pre-DFI V6 pigs, they were pretty anemic. Last fall, with winter coming I took delivery of a '09 V6, it's got good performance. I probably would have gotten the "S", but when I needed one the only ones they had were '08's and I really wanted bluetooth without adding some gadget to the car. My attorney bought an '08 S at the same time I got the '09 V6, he's driven mine and I've driven his. We both think the difference between them isn't that great. They're both pigs.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:47 PM
touareg
Drifting

Originally Posted by richc
I drove a few pre-DFI V6 pigs, they were pretty anemic. Last fall, with winter coming I took delivery of a '09 V6, it's got good performance. I probably would have gotten the "S", but when I needed one the only ones they had were '08's and I really wanted bluetooth without adding some gadget to the car. My attorney bought an '08 S at the same time I got the '09 V6, he's driven mine and I've driven his. We both think the difference between them isn't that great. They're both pigs.
What is DFI? Direct Fuel Injection?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM
touareg
Drifting

What do you guys think of this, miles are pretty high for the year, but with that many miles, I expect 20k for the price...

Year: Make: Model: Price:
2006 Porsche Cayenne $27,995.00
Miles Color: Body: Transmission:
68000 Exterior: Silver
Interior: Black Leather SUV Automatic
Stock Number: VIN:
J08703 WP1AB29P96LA62979
Options
Air Conditioning AWD -All Wheel Drive Alloy Wheels Anti-Lock Brakes
CD Changer Center Arm Rest Cruise Control Dual Air Bags
Dual Sport Mirrors Fog Lights Electronic Gauges Heated Seats
Intermittent Wipers Leather Seats Navigation System Power Driver's Seat (min 4 way)
Power Door Locks Power Mirrors Power Passenger Seat Power Steering
Power Windows Memory Seat Rear Window Defroster Roof Rack
Sun Roof Tachometer Tilt Steering Tinted Windows
Trip Odometer AM / FM Radio Automatic Headlights Beverage Holders
Bucket Seats CD Player Child Saftey Door Locks Climate Control
Xenon Lights Keyless Entry Bose Premium Audio Dual Climate Control

Quick Reply: Moving from a Touareg to a Cayenne