Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty FINALLY upgraded... into the shop for a Coolant pipe/possible gasket problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 04:22 AM
jplumlee
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty FINALLY upgraded... into the shop for a Coolant pipe/possible gasket problem

If you read my thread from a few days ago, you'd know that I've been waiting on the Extended Warranty Company to revise my contract and give me the coverage I asked for (and thought I received at purchase 2 months ago) Anyway, I finally received faxed confirmation today that my "old" policy had been upgraded to the 3 star plus and I added the "powertech and electronics" option to cover the rest of the "could happens" . It's good for 36 months/36k miles, was effective on 9-23-09, and pretty much covers everything. here is a link to the coverage.

scroll down and click "3 star"

https://www.warrantysolutions.com/b2...uct_option.jsp

I still think I have the coolant pipe problem because of the way the events transpired. I still maintain that my motor did not overheat as I pulled over almost immediately after getting the "Low coolant level" warning. As far as the "white" exhaust is concerned, after describing my problem to them today the guy at Porsche service said gasket problems are very rare on these V8's so I hope it's nothing. perhaps a leak somewhere around the intake and coolant has gotten in that way? heard of that before after a busted coolant pipe?

Id appreciate if you guys could check out this warranty and tell me what you think. I have a $100 deductible for ALL claims so I thought that was pretty good too. This big question is... will it cover the coolant pipe replacement???? The coverage specifically mentions "cooling" along with seals/gaskets and just about everything else. There was one poster either here or on Renntech that said the "coolant" stuff wasn't' usually covered by extended warranties. something about low pressure hoses not being covered, or something like that. I hope he was wrong in this case.

I have an "appointment" with a tow truck and Boardwalk Porsche in Plano, Tx. on the 4th of January I hear they do good work and I hope they'll take good care of me! anyone know someone down there in service?

thanks folks I appreciate any and all help and info!

Regards,
John

Original thread

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=30629
Old 12-25-2009, 11:19 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jplumlee
If you read my thread from a few days ago, you'd know that I've been waiting on the Extended Warranty Company to revise my contract and give me the coverage I asked for (and thought I received at purchase 2 months ago) Anyway, I finally received faxed confirmation today that my "old" policy had been upgraded to the 3 star plus and I added the "powertech and electronics" option to cover the rest of the "could happens" . It's good for 36 months/36k miles, was effective on 9-23-09, and pretty much covers everything. here is a link to the coverage.

scroll down and click "3 star"

https://www.warrantysolutions.com/b2...uct_option.jsp

I still think I have the coolant pipe problem because of the way the events transpired. I still maintain that my motor did not overheat as I pulled over almost immediately after getting the "Low coolant level" warning. As far as the "white" exhaust is concerned, after describing my problem to them today the guy at Porsche service said gasket problems are very rare on these V8's so I hope it's nothing. perhaps a leak somewhere around the intake and coolant has gotten in that way? heard of that before after a busted coolant pipe?

Id appreciate if you guys could check out this warranty and tell me what you think. I have a $100 deductible for ALL claims so I thought that was pretty good too. This big question is... will it cover the coolant pipe replacement???? The coverage specifically mentions "cooling" along with seals/gaskets and just about everything else. There was one poster either here or on Renntech that said the "coolant" stuff wasn't' usually covered by extended warranties. something about low pressure hoses not being covered, or something like that. I hope he was wrong in this case.

I have an "appointment" with a tow truck and Boardwalk Porsche in Plano, Tx. on the 4th of January I hear they do good work and I hope they'll take good care of me! anyone know someone down there in service?

thanks folks I appreciate any and all help and info!

Regards,
John

Original thread

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=30629
I am the poster who mentioned that hoses were excluded with the warranties I researched.

With the 3 star plus coverage it states that...
- Radiator
- Electric cooling fan motor
and relay
- Fan clutch
- Fan shroud
The water pump is included in the 3 star program.

Take notice that hoses are not mentioned under power steering, brakes, or AC.

If you can get the tubes replaced under this program please let us know.

I will be one of the first to track down a dealer who sells this warranty.

Rick

Last edited by v10rick; 12-25-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:49 AM
jplumlee
Instructor

Default Well I think this totally sucks! Still concernded/confused

I can't believe that these Coolant Pipes are probably NOT going to be covered... It's not like we're talking about a readily accessible rubber radiator hose here. These things are buried deep! Not to mention the HORRIBLE DESIGN problem with Porsche's decision to use the hard plastic pipes. So now the question is...

If I do end up needing gasket work, shouldn't I get a discount on the labor since all that stuff's gotta come off to get access to the heads? Like I mentioned before, the guy on the phone at Boardwalk Porsche in Plano indicated that a head gasket was HIGHLY unlikely even with the white exhaust. He thought a "leak" around the manifold might be the culprit. Anyone had this? heard of this? Of course we won't know until they get the car (jan 4th) But I'm halfway tempted to let the local shop look at it as he's already quoted the coolant pipe replacement at less than 1/2 boardwalks price(Sounds like my warranty wont cover it anyway). Plus I might be able to trade some web services for his labor.

I would like to add: No where in the contract does it specifically Disclaim things that aren't covered. Is it usually the case where covered items must be "specifically" mentioned?

Man I'm bummed. Had some winter weather this weekend and I had been looking forward to trying out it's AWD prowess. Too bad it's been parked.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jplumlee
I'm halfway tempted to let the local shop look at it as he's already quoted the coolant pipe replacement at less than 1/2 boardwalks price(Sounds like my warranty wont cover it anyway). Plus I might be able to trade some web services for his labor.

1/2 is better than full price in my book but has he done this before?

Hate to see them get into it and then realize that it cannot be done for the estimated price.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:52 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

Considering the fact that many people do this repair themselves, I don't think this guy will have a problem. I can fix just about anything with a hard drive or circuit board, but car repair is where I usually draw the line. I will probably just order the Coolant Pipe upgrade Kit from Suncoast and let him do the work.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:04 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

I've been trying to get some input from folks on whether on not they think the "white exhaust" I'm seeing is related to the busted coolant pies. Perhaps a leak around the intake allowed coolant to get in there. The local import service house is going to do a compression test and try to determine if the head gasket has failed ( at least THAT should be covered by my warranty) Boardwalk Porsche in Dallas told me that gasket problems are pretty much unheard of, so I'm really hoping that it's ALL coolant pipe related.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:55 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with the folks at Boardwalk Porsche. Head gasket problems as well as intake gasket problems are unheard of on these engines. I would go so far as to say a compression check is completely unnecessary. Its far more likely that you had coolant leaking from the pipes drip onto your exhaust pipes. Its very common to see coolant residue on both side exhaust pipes on Cayennes that have had coolant pipe issues.

What year and how many miles are on your rig. If you're close to warranty expiration you should call 1 800 Porsche. They might be able to work something out with you.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:05 AM
stahwille
Intermediate

Default coolant / garden hose

I like someone to define hose (ie rubber?) vs pipe (ie plastic pvc , alloy , steel , iorn ?) I can define FAILURE.... like customer service?
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
jplumlee
Instructor

I totally agree with the whole rubber vs. plastic problem. Sounds like other than a CPO warranty, pretty much NO one covers the plastic/rubber components of the cooling system. My CS has just over 60k miles so I'm pretty sure Porsche ain't doin squat (on their dime) One interesting thing about the problem (white smoke) is that when I first start up the motor(no coolant in the system but ice cold engine) there isn't any "white" exhaust for maybe 15 -20 secs. then it starts to appear. The car has been sitting for 2-3 weeks since I had "the problem" I was hoping that any coolant in the exhaust would have evaporated by now, but it still does it. I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the coolant pipe replacement is on me, and I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it.

Does anyone know if the cayenne's throw any alarm for engine temp (besides the "check coolant level" that I received the night of the problem? Is there a engine temp warning that comes up ont he display or is the gauge all there is? I NEVER saw the temp gauge go over the 1/2 mark before I found a safe place to pull overl

Quick Reply: Warranty FINALLY upgraded... into the shop for a Coolant pipe/possible gasket problem