Sponsored by:

Can a bent wheel be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 AM
morewaves
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a bent wheel be fixed?

I bought a set of used wheels for my Cayenne from someone on Craigslist and it turns out one of them is bent (or no longer straight and true).

The tire installers I used told me they couldn't balance one wheel because it was bent. They told me they know of a guy who can fix it for $150/wheel.

The set I bought had 6 wheels so I was able to still get 4 good ones on the Cayenne.

Can a bent wheel be fixed? Is this something that's done often or should I just consider it a lost cause?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:57 AM
JJ 88 Cab
Advanced

Bent wheels can be fixed, the price you were quoted is about what they get around here but that usually includes having it completely refinished as well.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:14 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes and no. Forged wheels have more elasticity than cast wheels and can therefore take more of an impact and likewise are more repairable. I think the only OEM wheel Porsche now makes is the 997 turbo wheel all others are pressure cast and therefore have less elasticity and thus will tend to fracture under significant impact and have less ability to be straightened. That said the Porsche OEM cast wheels are very strong and high quality wheels. Quality shops can straighten cast wheels that are slightly out of true.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 PM
morewaves
AutoX

Thanks! The wheels are Porsche OEM. I may try to have the wheel repaired.

Out of curiosity, is there an easy way to tell the difference between forged and cast?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 AM
rcbez
1st Gear

Originally Posted by morewaves

Out of curiosity, is there an easy way to tell the difference between forged and cast?
I think most Cayenne factory wheels are cast (I don't recall any oem forged versions). Maybe check here:

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php?t=Wheels
Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts

Cayenne wheels are cast. I would also agree the folks at Wheel Enhancement are good
Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems like it depends on where the wheel is bent. Some wheels can be repaired and others can't. I think the only real way is to get them to a straightening place. I've had a few bent wheels straightened, its pretty amazing. They can fix some gnarly problems.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:11 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by morewaves

I wouldn't hesitate to have it straightened. I had a 911 Wheel fixed and it was fine. Granted I wouldn't drive a fixed wheel at the track, but I doubt many Cayennes see track time

Quick Reply: Can a bent wheel be fixed?