Sponsored by:

Air Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:16 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott C
This is apparently the standard response when they don't know WTH to do with the problem.
Apparently so. At this point I'm not sure what to do with this thing. I am not at all happy with it; and very disappointed. That's for certain!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about the lousy luck you're having with this vehicle. Hope it improves quickly.

You may want to review the Lemon Law requirements for your state. I posted them a year ago when my wife had an "issue" with her BMW. I'll find the link and post it. What state are you in? (never mind, I see you are in GA)
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Sorry to hear about the lousy luck you're having with this vehicle. Hope it improves quickly.

You may want to review the Lemon Law requirements for your state. I posted them a year ago when my wife had an "issue" with her BMW. I'll find the link and post it. What state are you in? (never mind, I see you are in GA)
Thanks. I'm in Georgia; and have already registered on the Secretary of State's Lemon Law site.

They get three attempts to ficx the same problem, and a maximum of 30 days out for service for all problems in 2 years.

Right now both the servicing dealer and Porsche P-Tech say it's within spec. If so, Porsche's quality really stinks.

The V6 service loaner was quieter and smoother shifting/driving than mine.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Take it to another dealer and describe the problem *exactly* as you did to the first. If they come back with the same answer then find a third and repeat. This may expedite the lemon process.

BTW, did they tell you the spec? If so, then you can measure it yourself (compressor running). As a reference point, PASM on my '05 almost never runs but I live in flat Dallas.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree the with the "within spec" issue. My Cayman had the infamous hatch "thunk" issue. The dealer could not fix it; however, did confirm that is existed, but stated that it is "within spec". That is, "the hatch as configured by Porsche thunks -live with it".

Dutch, why not look at a Range Rover or LR4? I know Land Rovers have very spotty reliability, but I have had great experience with my 2008 Range Rover and 2006 LR3. The former not having one warranty fix, adjustment, or issue in 16 months and numerous trips offroad. The LR4 is a vast improvement over the LR3, but I'm waiting a few years before it reveals itself in terms of reliability.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:12 PM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Dutch, why not look at a Range Rover or LR4? I know Land Rovers have very spotty reliability, but I have had great experience with my 2008 Range Rover and 2006 LR3. The former not having one warranty fix, adjustment, or issue in 16 months and numerous trips offroad. The LR4 is a vast improvement over the LR3, but I'm waiting a few years before it reveals itself in terms of reliability.
I still have my G500 for off road fun and frolic. I was hoping that the Transsy would give me reasonable off road capability and good highway service. Right now, other than fuel mileage, the 10 yr old G500 gives a smoother and quieter ride on A/T tires than the new Transsy on street tires.

I never should have sold the ML320CDI that was my daily driver. I'd consider going back in that direction, but the new ones are BlueTec and have run-flat tires with no spare. The latter is a deal breaker for me.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:37 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH Vanatlanta
Thanks. I'm in Georgia; and have already registered on the Secretary of State's Lemon Law site.

They get three attempts to ficx the same problem, and a maximum of 30 days out for service for all problems in 2 years.

Right now both the servicing dealer and Porsche P-Tech say it's within spec. If so, Porsche's quality really stinks.

The V6 service loaner was quieter and smoother shifting/driving than mine.
Sorry Dutch, I missed your previous ref. to GA Lemon Law.

As someone else said, if PCNA says it's within specs have them show you those specs. I sympathize with you, went through a buy-back on my wife's '07 BMW. It was not a pleasant experience. If I had to do it all over again I would instruct the dealer they have 1 chance to treat me right and avoid "Lemon Lawing" the vehicle, after that all negotiations would be through my lawyer. What a PITA!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unlike the Cayman "hatch thunk" I don't believe there have been many issues at all with the Cayenne air suspension. I haven't done a "search" on this forum but I just don't recall all that many people having issues - while other issues are certainly mentioned on a frequent basis. I think they'd have a hard time showing you how any other Cayennes on their lot behave the same as what you've been describing.

The dealer claims they have confirmed with PCNA that this is "within spec" but have you talked with anyone at PCNA yourself? If they blow you off (and don't tell them you know "Larry") then by all means go the Lemon Law route.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, and good luck getting this sorted out.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:45 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^ The compressors going bad is a common issue.

I would be frustrated too. It doesn't seem that hard to diagnose. Let it sit, measure the height, and if it's dropped, it's dropped. Since it's dropping evenly (I assume), then start checking common parts like the compressor and move up the line. Sounds like a lame dealership.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:51 PM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by medtech
^^ The compressors going bad is a common issue.

I would be frustrated too. It doesn't seem that hard to diagnose. Let it sit, measure the height, and if it's dropped, it's dropped. Since it's dropping evenly (I assume), then start checking common parts like the compressor and move up the line. Sounds like a lame dealership.
Actually, it is not dropping overnight; which only means that it is not leaking at the struts. I'm thinking it's leaking somewhere between the compressor and/or the accumulator tanks (there are two) and/or the valves which control the struts.

It's going back in next week (attempt #3) to see if they can track it down. It may be getting easier for them to do so, because the compressor now is running any time I start the car after it's parked from 30-60 minutes or more.

It is frustrating!
Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PSM fault could very easily be an suspension issue.

All systems are inter-related when it comes to PSM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:42 PM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
PSM fault could very easily be an suspension issue.

All systems are inter-related when it comes to PSM.
That one had thrown a yaw sensor fault. They replaced the sensor. Air suspension issues continue.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Renn 951
The dealer claims they have confirmed with PCNA that this is "within spec" but have you talked with anyone at PCNA yourself? If they blow you off (and don't tell them you know "Larry") then by all means go the Lemon Law route.
Oh, I don't know...I'm pretty sure that name still brings fond memories to the staff at PCNA Legal...and the engineer at the Porsche factory who should not have assumed to be smarter than Larry when it came to electronics....German swearing is funny on a phone, especially when Larry's laughing and the PCNA staff isn't.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Oh, I don't know...I'm pretty sure that name still brings fond memories to the staff at PCNA Legal...and the engineer at the Porsche factory who should not have assumed to be smarter than Larry when it came to electronics....German swearing is funny on a phone, especially when Larry's laughing and the PCNA staff isn't.

I've been wondering if the VW Group influence could have a positive effect on Porsche when it comes to things like electronics - do you have any thoughts on what direction that might go?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:00 PM
DUTCH Vanatlanta

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Renn 951

I've been wondering if the VW Group influence could have a positive effect on Porsche when it comes to things like electronics - do you have any thoughts on what direction that might go?
Most German auto electronics are Bosch; and I'm of the opinion - based on many years of experience - that Bosch hires all their engineers from those who got their training at Lucas.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Question